Current:Home > ContactClass-action lawsuit alleges unsafe conditions at migrant detention facility in New Mexico -Capitatum
Class-action lawsuit alleges unsafe conditions at migrant detention facility in New Mexico
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 00:32:41
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A new class-action lawsuit alleges that U.S. immigration authorities disregarded signs of unsanitary and unsafe conditions at a detention center in New Mexico to ensure the facility would continue to receive public funding and remain open.
The lawsuit announced Wednesday by a coalition of migrants’ rights advocates was filed on behalf of four Venezuelans ranging in age from 26 to 40 who have sought asylum in the U.S. and say they were denied medical care, access to working showers and adequate food at the Torrance County Detention Facility, all while being pressed into cleaning duties, sometimes without compensation.
The detention center in the rural town of Estancia, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) from the Mexico border, is contracted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to accommodate at least 505 adult male migrants at any time, though actual populations fluctuate.
Advocates have repeatedly alleged in recent years that the the facility has inadequate living conditions and there is limited access to legal counsel for asylum-seekers who cycle through. They have urged ICE to end its contract with a private detention operator, while calling on state lawmakers to ban local government contracts for migrant detention.
“The point is that ICE can’t turn a blind eye to conditions in detention facilities,” said Mark Feldman, senior attorney at the National Immigrant Justice Center, which is among those representing the plaintiffs. “They maintain congressionally mandated oversight responsibility over conditions wherever immigrants are detained.”
The detention center failed a performance evaluation in 2021, and the lawsuit alleges that ICE scrambled to avoid documentation of a second consecutive failure that might discontinue federal funding by endorsing a “deeply flawed, lax inspection” by an independent contractor.
The lawsuit says the agency disregarded contradictory findings by the Department of Homeland Security Inspector General and a contracting officer at ICE that suggested continued unhealthy conditions and staff shortages.
A spokesperson for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Thursday that the agency does not comment on litigation. Last year Chief of Staff Jason Houser said ICE would continuously monitor the facility and noted that it stopped using the Etowah County Detention Center in Alabama when expectations there were not met.
CoreCivic, the private operator of Torrance County, had no immediate comment. The company has repeatedly disputed critical findings about operations at the facility and accused government watchdogs and advocacy groups of misrepresenting detention conditions.
As of September about 35,000 migrants were being held in ICE detention facilities across the U.S., while the agency monitors another 195,000 under alternatives to detention as they advance through immigration or removal proceedings, according to Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University.
The southern border region has struggled to cope with increasing numbers of migrants from South America who move quickly through the Darien Gap between Colombia and Panama before heading north.
The plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Albuquerque, are also represented by the ACLU, Innovation Law Lab and attorneys for Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan.
veryGood! (58)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Effort to enshrine right to abortion in Maine Constitution comes up short in first votes
- Mississippi Senate blocks House proposal to revise school funding formula
- Kourtney Kardashian Defends Her Postpartum Body Amid Pressure to Bounce Back
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Kristen Doute Sent This Bizarre Text to The Valley Costar After Racism Allegations
- Look up, then look down: After the solar eclipse, a double brood of cicadas will emerge
- Rare copy of comic featuring Superman’s first appearance sells for $6 million at auction
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- A 7-year-old Alabama girl set up a lemonade stand to help buy her mom's headstone
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- US wildfires are getting bigger and more complex, prompting changes in firefighting workforce
- The 5 states with the highest inflation and the 5 with the lowest. See where yours ranks
- Dan Hurley will receive at least $1.8 million in bonuses with UConn's national title
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Former hospital IT worker pleads guilty to 3-decade identity theft that led to his victim being jailed
- More than 200 women and several men accuse doctor in lawsuit of sexual abuse, unnecessary exams
- Robert Downey Jr. Reveals Honest Reaction to Jimmy Kimmel's 2024 Oscars Joke
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Russia aborts planned test launch of new heavy-lift space rocket
Did you look at the solar eclipse too long? Doctors explain signs of eye damage
Las Vegas Aces WNBA team gets bigger venue for game Caitlin Clark is anticipated to play in
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Florida woman charged with freeway shootings amid eclipse said she was 'directed by God'
Person comes forward to claim $1.3 billion Powerball jackpot in Oregon
Pregnant Vanderpump Rules Star Lala Kent Reveals the Sex of Baby No. 2