Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|U.S. sends aircraft carrier group to eastern Mediterranean in response to Hamas attack on Israel -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|U.S. sends aircraft carrier group to eastern Mediterranean in response to Hamas attack on Israel
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:28:13
U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced Sunday that he has ordered American military ships,Burley Garcia including an aircraft carrier and additional aircraft, to move closer to the eastern Mediterranean in response to Hamas' unprecedented, multi-fronted attack on Israel. At least nine U.S. citizens were among the more than 700 people killed in Israel amid Hamas' assault, a National Security Council spokesperson confirmed Monday..
"Today, in response to this Hamas attack on Israel, and following detailed discussions with President Biden, I have directed several steps to strengthen Department of Defense posture in the region to bolster regional deterrence efforts," Austin said in a news release.
The USS Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group includes the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier, which is the largest warship in the world, in addition to the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Normandy and four Arleigh-Burke-class guided missile destroyers — USS Thomas Hudner, USS Ramage, USS Carney and USS Roosevelt.
The USS Gerald R. Ford was in the western Mediterranean when it received orders to deploy. Depending on its precise location, it could have to travel over a thousand miles.
Austin also announced steps to augment U.S. Air Force fighter aircraft squadrons in the region. USAF aircraft are going into bases in the Middle East where they will be available for operations against Iran.
The munitions the U.S. will be sending over are being airlifted.
Austin spoke with Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant on Sunday "to express support for the people of Israel and to receive updates on Israel's operation to restore security and safety from Hamas' terrorist attack," Pentagon press secretary Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said in a statement.
Gallant and Austin will "remain in close contact in the days and weeks ahead," Ryder added.
The announcement came shortly after the White House confirmed that President Biden and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke again Sunday morning. The two leaders discussed Hamas' taking of Israeli hostages, with Mr. Biden assuring Netanyahu that U.S. assistance for the Israel Defense Forces was on its way to Israel, with more to follow over the coming days.
"The President emphasized that there is no justification whatsoever for terrorism, and all countries must stand united in the face of such brutal atrocities," the White House readout of the call said.
"President Biden updated the Prime Minister on the intensive diplomatic engagement undertaken by the United States over the last 24 hours in support of Israel," the readout added.
Austin confirmed that the first movement of U.S. security aid to the IDF will begin moving Sunday and arrive in the coming days.
"My team and I will continue to be in close contact with our Israeli counterparts to ensure they have what they need to protect their citizens and defend themselves against these heinous terrorist attacks," Austin said.
Israeli officials said early Monday that over 700 Israeli civilians and members of the military had been killed since Hamas launched its unprecedented attack on Israel from the Gaza Strip early Saturday morning. Another 2,150 were wounded.
The Gaza Ministry of Health said Monday that more than 400 Palestinians had been killed and 2,200 more wounded in Israel's retaliatory strikes on Gaza since Saturday.
Many Israelis, both civilians and security forces, have been taken hostage. Israeli ambassador Michael Herzog said on "Face the Nation" on Sunday that he was under the impression there were Americans taken hostage, but he didn't have details. U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on "Face the Nation" that the U.S. investigating reports that Americans were among those taken hostage.
There is not yet any serious planning for the evacuation of American citizens, U.S. officials said.
—Eleanor Watson contributed to reporting.
- In:
- War
- Iran
- Hamas
- Israel
- Palestinians
- Gaza Strip
S. Dev is a news editor for CBSNews.com.
veryGood! (62474)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Alabama residents to begin receiving $150 tax rebates
- Best picture before bedtime? Oscars announces earlier start time for 2024 ceremony
- Montana’s first-in-the-nation ban on TikTok blocked by judge who says it’s unconstitutional
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Meadow Walker Pays Tribute to Dad Paul Walker With Sweet Video 10 Years After His Death
- How Charlie Sheen leveraged sports-gambling habit to reunite with Chuck Lorre on 'Bookie'
- Doggone good news: New drug aims to extend lifespan of dogs, company awaiting FDA approval
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- EPA proposes rule to replace all lead water pipes in U.S. within 10 years: Trying to right a longstanding wrong
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Veterans fear the VA's new foreclosure rescue plan won't help them
- What to know about the Sikh independence movement following US accusation that activist was targeted
- Prince William and Kate Middleton Brush Off Questions About Omid Scobie's Royal Book During Night Out
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Blinken urges Israel to comply with international law in war against Hamas as truce is extended
- Members of global chemical weapons watchdog vote to keep Syria from getting poison gas materials
- Myanmar’s military is losing ground against coordinated nationwide attacks, buoying opposition hopes
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
A house explodes and bursts into flames in Minnesota, killing at least 1 person, fire chief says
Iran sends a hip-hop artist who rapped about hijab protests back to jail
Sebastian the husky reunited with owner after getting stuck in Kentucky sewer drain
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Bills linebacker Von Miller facing arrest for assaulting a pregnant person, Dallas police say
AP Week in Pictures: Europe and Africa
Former Myanmar colonel who once served as information minister gets 10-year prison term for sedition