Current:Home > InvestGeorgia quarterback Carson Beck announces decision to return for 2024 season -Capitatum
Georgia quarterback Carson Beck announces decision to return for 2024 season
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 09:11:26
Carson Beck waited three seasons to get the chance to be the Georgia's starting quarterback.
He’s coming back for a second year in that role.
The Jacksonville native is returning for the 2024 season, Georgia football announced Monday afternoon on its social media accounts.
"My friends and family have helped put me in a situation to have options for my future," Beck said. "However, the NFL can wait one more year. I am returning to UGA for my senior season."
That will give Beck a chance to move up into the top tier of quarterback prospects for the NFL draft in 2025 and build on the 14 starts he will have going into his second season as starter.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
The decision came after Beck huddled with Georgia coach Kirby Smart following the SEC championship game loss to Alabama, learning where he may fit into this year’s quarterback draft class and taking his time before deciding he wasn’t ready to be a one-and-done starter.
Beck, a second-team All-SEC selection by the coaches, is fourth in the nation in passing yards with 3,738 and threw for at least 250 yards in his first 11 games this season.
He was a big reason Georgia entered the SEC championship game unbeaten and No. 1 in the nation.
Beck was rated the No. 45 overall prospect by Pro Football Focus last month, but did not make the top 50 Thursday by ESPN draft analyst Jordan Reid.
“He doesn't possess elite arm talent, but throughout the regular season, he became one of the most accurate passers in the country, and his recognition and anticipation of defenses continue to improve,” PFF draft analyst Trevor Sikkema wrote.
He’ll have a chance to play in a tough road environments next season for a schedule that offers up games at Alabama and Texas, two playoff teams this year.
Beck is in line to reap a financial benefit in this NIL era where quarterback free agency has touched Georgia already. Backup Brock Vandagriff is transferring to Kentucky and five-star commitment Dylan Raiola could be close to flipping to Nebraska.
Beck has provided good value for Georgia at the position.
He is on track to set a Georgia single-season record for completion percentage (72.4 percent entering bowl), is ninth nationally in passing efficiency and 12th in passing yards per game (287.5).
“Obviously, he’s in the system, he knows the terminology, but you’re a first-time starter in this league,” offensive coordinator Mike Bobo said earlier this month in Little Rock, Arkansas, on 103.7 The Buzz while there for the Broyles Award ceremony. “You’re going to grow through growing pains. Being a starter in this league, you’re going to get criticized from everybody—the talking heads but your own fans. How are you going to handle that? He handled that and was able to persevere, continue to just try to lock in each week and get better and grow within our team.”
Beck threw 22 touchdowns and had six interceptions this season.
“It was definitely a work in progress as the season kind of started,” Beck said before the SEC championship game, “but I'd say that South Carolina game, after that second half kind of where we started to pick up steam, started to become a little bit more comfortable within the offense and with the players around me, and I think our confidence kind of shot up from there.”
Before the Mississippi game in November, coach Kirby Smart said of Beck: "He’s into all the ball stuff. He could be cleaner on some things in the pocket. He could be cleaner on some protection things, but he’s going to make mistakes because we put him in a position to make three to four decisions every play. So he’s not going to be perfect, but I can accept that. I just want him to continue to grow as a leader and commanding of the offense."
veryGood! (7196)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Coast Guard, Navy rescue 3 stranded men after spotting 'HELP' sign made with palm leaves
- Absolutely 100 Percent Not Guilty: 25 Bizarre Things You Forgot About the O.J. Simpson Murder Trial
- Man, teenage girl found dead in Wisconsin after shooting at officers, Iowa slaying
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- O.J. Simpson Trial Prosecutor Marcia Clark Reacts to Former NFL Star's Death
- 2024 Masters Round 1 recap: Leaderboard, how Tiger Woods did, highlights
- Billy Joel was happy to 'hang out' with Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran, talks 100th MSG show
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- 2024 NFL draft rankings: Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr. lead top 50 players
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Residents of this state pay $987,117 in lifetime taxes. Guess which one?
- Another roadblock to convincing Americans to buy an EV: plunging resale values
- NHL scoring title, final playoff berths up for grabs with week left in regular season
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Amazon's 'Fallout' TV show is a video game adaptation that's a 'chaotic' morality tale
- Fiery debate over proposed shield law leads to rare censure in Maine House
- This is not a drill: 1 in 4 teachers say guns forced their schools into lockdown last year
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
AP WAS THERE: OJ Simpson’s murder trial acquittal
A Washington man pleads not guilty in connection with 2022 attacks on an Oregon electrical grid
US airlines ask the Biden administration not to approve additional flights between the US and China
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Tom Brady is 'not opposed' coming out of retirement to help NFL team in need of QB
Deadly explosion at Colorado apartment building was set intentionally, investigators say
Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan announce two new Netflix series, including a lifestyle show