Current:Home > InvestCommission probing response to Maine mass shooting will hear from sheriff’s office -Capitatum
Commission probing response to Maine mass shooting will hear from sheriff’s office
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:14:42
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — A commission investigating a mass shooting that killed 18 people in Maine last year is scheduled to hear Thursday from a police agency that had contact with the shooter before he committed the killings.
Democratic Gov. Janet Mills and state Attorney General Aaron Frey assembled the commission to review the events that led up to the shootings at a bowling alley and a restaurant in Lewiston on Oct. 25. Commissioners, who are holding their second meeting Thursday, are also tasked with reviewing the police response.
The meeting will be public and will allow commissioners to speak to members of the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Department, a spokesperson for the commission said.
Lawyers for some of the victims’ families have pointed to missed opportunities to prevent Army reservist Robert Card, 40, from committing the shootings and was found dead afterward from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Police videos obtained by The Associated Press and other news agencies showed that police declined to confront Card in the weeks beforehand, fearing it would worsen an already volatile situation. Card’s declining mental health was known to police, Army officials and family members, according to numerous interviews.
Mills and Frey said Wednesday that they have introduced legislation to grant subpoena authority to the commission as it investigates, a power that commissioners have said they will need.
“This legislation, which comes at the request of the Independent Commission, will ensure that the commission has the tools it needs to fully and effectively discharge its critical mission of determining the facts of the tragedy in Lewiston,” Mills and Frey said in a statement.
Thursday’s commission meeting is the first of four in which there will be an open forum for comments. Meetings with victims, Maine State Police and the Army are also scheduled.
The commission has said it “will conduct its work in public to the greatest extent possible and issue a formal public report detailing its findings upon the conclusion of its investigation.” Members have said they hope to produce a full report by early summer.
Police were alerted last September by Army Reserves officials about Card, who had been hospitalized in July after exhibiting erratic behavior during training. Officials warned police that he had access to weapons and had threatened to “shoot up” an Army Reserve center in Saco.
An independent report by the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office after the shooting found that local law enforcement knew Card’s mental health was declining and that he was hearing voices and experiencing psychotic episodes. The report cleared the agency’s response to concerns about Card, but several legal experts have said it revealed missed opportunities to intervene.
The commission meeting Thursday is chaired by Daniel Wathen, former chief justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court. Other members include Debra Baeder, the former chief forensic psychologist for the state, and Paula Silsby, a former U.S. attorney for the District of Maine.
veryGood! (921)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Big Three automakers idle thousands of workers as UAW strike rages on
- Federal appeals court expands limits on Biden administration in First Amendment case
- Baltimore Police say multiple people have been shot on campus of Morgan State University
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Scientists determine the cause behind high rates of amphibian declines
- How to enter $1 million competition for recording extraterrestrial activity on a Ring device
- Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, SZA and More Lead 2023 MTV EMA Nominations: See the Complete List
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- When is the big emergency alert test? Expect your phone to ominously blare Wednesday.
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Lawyers of Imran Khan in Pakistan oppose his closed-door trial over revealing official secrets
- Woman who planned robbery of slain college student while friend posed as stranded motorist convicted of murder
- Hungary’s foreign minister hints that Budapest will continue blocking EU military aid to Ukraine
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Slovakia reintroduces checks on the border with Hungary to curb migration
- Mega Millions heats up to an estimated $315 million. See winning numbers for Oct. 3
- Former US military pilot’s lawyer tells Sydney court that extradition hearing should be delayed
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Will Leo Messi play again? Here's the latest on Inter Miami's star before Chicago FC match
US issues first-ever space junk fine against Dish Network in 'breakthrough settlement'
75,000 Kaiser Permanente health care workers launch historic health care strike
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Former Russian state TV journalist gets 8 1/2-year sentence in absentia for Ukraine war criticism
UK police open a corporate manslaughter investigation into a hospital where a nurse killed 7 babies
Lady Gaga Will Not Have to Pay $500,000 to Woman Charged in Dog Theft