Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Judge temporarily halts removal of Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Judge temporarily halts removal of Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:52:55
A federal judge temporarily halted the removal of the Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery on Will Sage AstorMonday.
U.S. District Judge Rossie Alston Jr. issued the order on Monday after workers had begun working on the removal that was slated to be completed by the end of the week.
On Sunday, the group Defend Arlington, an affiliate of Save Southern Heritage Florida, filed the emergency motion asking for the pause arguing that the removal of the monument would disturb gravesites.
“Plaintiffs have made the necessary showing that they are entitled to a temporary restraining order pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 65(b) to preserve the status quo pending a decision by the Court on the merits of this action,” Alston’s order reads.
The order temporarily bars the Department of Defense from “taking any acts to deconstruct, tear down, remove, or alter the object of this case." A hearing on the case is scheduled for Wednesday.
'100 years of difficult work':Richmond removes final public Confederate monument
Confederate memorial removal
On Saturday, Arlington National Cemetery announced that safety fencing had been installed around the memorial and officials expected it to be completely removed by Friday. According to a news release, the landscape, graves and headstones surrounding the memorial will be protected while the monument is taken down.
"During the deconstruction, the area around the Memorial will be protected to ensure no impact to the surrounding landscape and grave markers and to ensure the safety of visitors in and around the vicinity of the deconstruction," the cemetery news release said.
The removal part of a national effort to get rid of confederate symbols from military-related spaces was slated to go ahead despite pushback from some Republican lawmakers.
Last week, 44 lawmakers, led by Georgia Republican Rep. Andrew Clyde wrote a letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin demanding the Reconciliation Monument be kept, Fox News reported.
Clyde said the monument, “does not honor nor commemorate the Confederacy; the memorial commemorates reconciliation and national unity.”
In a September 2022 report to Congress, an independent commission recommended the removal of the monument, which was unveiled in 1914 and designed by a Confederate veteran. The memorial "offers a nostalgic, mythologized vision of the Confederacy, including highly sanitized depictions of slavery," according to Arlington National Cemetery.
veryGood! (53)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- North Carolina splits insurance commissioner’s job from state fire marshal’s responsibilities
- How Bethann Hardison changed the face of fashion - and why that matters
- A woman died after falling from a cliff at a Blue Ridge Parkway scenic overlook in North Carolina
- Sam Taylor
- Sean McManus will retire in April after 27 years leading CBS Sports; David Berson named successor
- Nebraska officials shoot, kill mountain lion spotted on golf course during local tournament
- US consumer confidence tumbles in September as American anxiety about the future grows
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- A woman died after falling from a cliff at a Blue Ridge Parkway scenic overlook in North Carolina
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Chinese gymnast Zhang Boheng wins men’s all-around at the Asian Games. The Paris Olympics are next
- Blac Chyna Debuts Romance With Songwriter Derrick Milano
- Australian prime minister says he’s confident Indigenous people back having their Parliament ‘Voice’
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Public to weigh in on whether wild horses that roam Theodore Roosevelt National Park should stay
- Sean McManus will retire in April after 27 years leading CBS Sports; David Berson named successor
- North Carolina splits insurance commissioner’s job from state fire marshal’s responsibilities
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Defendant in Michigan fake elector case seeks dismissal of charges over attorney general’s comments
Husband of Bronx day care owner arrested in Mexico: Sources
Alibaba will spin off its logistics arm Cainiao in an IPO in Hong Kong
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
North Carolina splits insurance commissioner’s job from state fire marshal’s responsibilities
Shimano recalls bicycle cranksets in U.S. and Canada after more than 4,500 reports
California deputy caught with 520,000 fentanyl pills has cartel ties, investigators say