Current:Home > reviewsActivision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims -Capitatum
Activision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-05 21:38:22
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Activision Blizzard has agreed to pay about $54 million to settle discrimination claims brought by California’s civil rights agency on behalf of women employed by the video game maker.
The settlement, which is subject to court approval, resolves allegations that the maker of Call of Duty, Overwatch, World of Warcraft and other video games “discriminated against women at the company, including denying promotion opportunities and paying them less than men for doing substantially similar work,” the California Civil Rights Department announced late Friday.
Allegations of workplace discrimination helped drag down Activision’s stock price in 2021, paving the way for Microsoft’s eventual takeover bid in January 2022. The software giant, which owns the Xbox gaming system, closed its $69 billion deal to buy Activision in October after fending off global opposition from antitrust regulators and rivals.
California’s civil rights agency sued Santa Monica-based Activision Blizzard in July 2021, alleging that female employees faced constant sexual harassment, that few women were named to leadership roles and that when they were, they earned less salary, incentive pay and total compensation than male peers.
Employees spoke up about harassment and discrimination, signing petitions criticizing the company for its defensive reaction to the lawsuit and staging a walkout.
Under the terms of the settlement, women who worked for the company between Oct. 12, 2015, and Dec. 31, 2020, either as hires or independent contractors, may be eligible for compensation. About $45.75 million of the settlement amount has been set aside for such payouts, the state agency said.
Activision Blizzard also agreed to take steps to ensure “fair pay and promotion practices” at the company.
“We appreciate the importance of the issues addressed in this agreement and we are dedicated to fully implementing all the new obligations we have assumed as part of it,” Activision Blizzard said in a statement Saturday.
The company also noted that the California Civil Rights Department agreed to file an amended complaint that withdraws sexual harassment allegations.
The settlement agreement declares that “no court or any independent investigation has substantiated any allegations” of systemic or widespread sexual harassment at Activision Blizzard, nor claims that the company’s board of directors and CEO acted improperly or ignored or tolerated a culture of harassment, retaliation or discrimination.
In September 2021, Activision settled sexual harassment and discrimination claims brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, agreeing to create an $18 million fund to compensate people who were harassed or discriminated against.
And earlier this year, the company agreed to pay $35 million to settle Securities and Exchange Commission charges that it failed to maintain controls to collect and assess workplace complaints with regard to disclosure requirements and violated a federal whistleblower protection rule. In paying the settlement, Activision neither admitted nor denied the SEC’s findings and agreed to a cease-and-desist order.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Inside the Gruesome Deadpool Killer Case That Led to a Death Sentence for Wade Wilson
- Horrific deaths of gymnast, Olympian reminder of violence women face daily. It has to stop
- How to make a budget that actually works: Video tutorial
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Nicole Kidman Announces Death of Her Mom Janelle After Leaving Venice Film Festival
- Jason Kelce's Wife Kylie Kelce Reveals Her NFL Game Day Superstitions
- Kendrick Lamar to Perform at 2025 Super Bowl Halftime Show
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- A rural Georgia town in mourning has little sympathy for dad charged in school shooting
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Will Ja'Marr Chase play in Week 1? What to know about Bengals WR's status
- Inside the Gruesome Deadpool Killer Case That Led to a Death Sentence for Wade Wilson
- Dak Prescott leads Cowboys to 33-17 romp over Browns in opener after getting new 4-year contract
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Coal miner killed on the job in West Virginia. The death marks fourth in the state this year
- A 14-year-old boy is charged with killing 4 people at his Georgia high school. Here’s what we know
- Sephora Flash Sale: Get 50% Off Kiehl's Liquid Pimple Patches, Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Lipstick & More
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Florida high school football player dies after collapsing during game
How many points did Caitlin Clark score Friday? Lynx snap Fever's five-game win streak
Sérgio Mendes, Brazilian musician who helped popularize bossa nova, dies at 83
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Kelly Stafford Reveals the Toughest Part of Watching Quarterback Husband Matthew Stafford Play Football
Don't Miss J.Crew Outlet's End-of-Summer Sale: Score an Extra 50% Off Clearance & Up to 60% Off Sitewide
Ella Travolta honors late mom Kelly Preston in new song, shares old home videos