Current:Home > ScamsPentagon investigating how Ukraine war document marked top-secret appeared online -Capitatum
Pentagon investigating how Ukraine war document marked top-secret appeared online
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 14:23:35
A document marked "top secret" that depicts the daily disposition of forces in Ukraine was leaked and has shown up on social media, a U.S. official confirmed.
This official said that someone apparently took a picture of the document and posted it on Telegram, a social media platform that has over 500 million users, and from there, it was picked up on Twitter. Pentagon officials are working to remove the classified information from social media.
A second official said the Pentagon is trying to determine how the material leaked and how serious the leak is.
And then, on Friday, classified government documents covering not only Ukraine, but other parts of the world started showing up on social media, suggesting that there has been a major compromise of Pentagon secrets.
A total of five slides — photographs of documents that had been folded and unfolded — were posted on a pro-Russian Telegram channel Thursday, and they appear authentic, although U.S. officials warned that some of them appeared to have been altered.
For instance, one of the slides says there have been 16,000-17,500 Russians killed in action, but U.S. defense officials have publicly said that Russia has suffered over 200,000 casualties. The documents that were posted are also more than a month old.
The Telegram account said that the posted documents described "a secret plan to prepare and equip nine brigades of the Armed Forces of Ukraine by the US and NATO for the spring offensive."
The White House National Security Council and intelligence community declined to comment and referred inquiries to the Defense Department. The New York Times first reported the leak.
"We are aware of the reports of social media posts and the Department is reviewing the matter," Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said.
In a second statement provided to CBS News later Friday night, Singh said the Defense Department "has made a formal referral to the Department of Justice for investigation." A spokesperson said in a statement the same night that the Justice Department was in communication with the Defense Department and had begun an investigation.
The leak occurred as Ukraine continues to prepare for its spring offensive against Russia. Earlier this week, the U.S. announced an additional $2.6 billion weapons package for Ukraine, containing munitions and air defense capabilities.
- In:
- Ukraine
- Russia
- The Pentagon
David Martin is CBS News' National Security Correspondent.
veryGood! (376)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- From London, Pakistan’s former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif blames ex-army chief for his 2017 ouster
- World War I-era plane flips over trying to land near museum in Massachusetts
- Man who brought Molotov cocktails to protest at Seattle police union building sentenced to prison
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- WSJ reporter to appeal Russian detention Tuesday
- Drew Barrymore's Hollywood labor scuffle isn't the first for her family
- Family of 4, including 2 children, shot dead along with 3 pets in Illinois: police
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Generac recalls over 60,000 portable generators due to fire and burn hazards
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Can't find the right Clorox product? A recent cyberattack is causing some shortages
- Alabama Barker Reveals the Best Beauty Advice Stepmom Kourtney Kardashian Has Given Her
- Those worried about poor air quality will soon be able to map out the cleanest route
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Canada is investigating whether India is linked to the slaying of a Sikh activist
- Federal authorities announce plan to safeguard sacred tribal lands in New Mexico’s Sandoval County
- Ukraine's Zelenskyy tells Sean Penn in 'Superpower' documentary: 'World War III has begun'
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Ukraine complains to WTO about Hungary, Poland and Slovakia banning its farm products
Kim Jong Un heads back to North Korea after six-day Russian trip
Gisele Bündchen Reflects on Tough Family Times After Tom Brady Divorce
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Azerbaijan announces an ‘anti-terrorist operation’ targeting Armenian military positions
Man gets 20 years in prison for killing retired St. Louis police officer during carjacking attempt
Giant pandas in zoos suffer from jet lag, impacting sexual behavior, diets, study shows