Current:Home > FinanceSouth Korea fully suspending military pact with North Korea over trash balloons -Capitatum
South Korea fully suspending military pact with North Korea over trash balloons
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:31:05
Seoul, South Korea — Seoul will fully suspend a 2018 tension-reducing military deal with nuclear-armed North Korea, the South's National Security Council said Monday, after Pyongyang sent hundreds of trash-filled balloons across the border.
Seoul partially suspended the agreement last year after the North put a spy satellite into orbit, but the NSC said it would tell the cabinet "to suspend the entire effect of the 'September 19 Military Agreement' until mutual trust between the two Koreas is restored."
In the last week, Pyongyang has sent nearly a thousand balloons carrying garbage including cigarette butts and likely manure into the South in what it says was retaliation for missives bearing anti-regime propaganda organized by activists in the South.
South Korea has called the latest provocation from its neighbor "irrational" and "low-class" but, unlike the spate of recent ballistic missile launches, the trash campaign doesn't violate U.N. sanctions on Kim Jong Un's isolated government.
The North called off the balloon bombardment Sunday, saying it had been an effective countermeasure, but warned that more could come if needed.
The 2018 military deal, signed during a period of warmer ties between the two countries that remain technically at war, aimed to reduce tensions on the peninsula and avoid an accidental escalation, especially along the heavily fortified border.
But after Seoul partially suspended the agreement in November last year to protest Pyongyang's successful spy satellite launch, the North said it would no longer honor the deal at all.
As a result, Seoul's NSC said the deal was "virtually null and void due to North Korea's de facto declaration of abandonment" anyway, but that abiding by the remainder of it was disadvantaging the South in terms of their ability to respond to threats like the balloons.
Respecting the agreement "is causing significant issues in our military's readiness posture, especially in the context of a series of recent provocations by North Korea that pose real damage and threats to our citizens," it said.
The move will allow "military training in the areas around the Military Demarcation Line," it said, and enable "more sufficient and immediate responses to North Korean provocations."
The decision needs to be approved by a cabinet meeting set for Tuesday before it takes effect.
Ties between the two Koreas are at one of their lowest points in years, with diplomacy long stalled and Kim Jong Un ramping up his weapons testing and development, while the South draws closer Washington, its main security ally.
Seoul's decision to jettison the 2018 tension-reducing deal shows "that it will not tolerate trash balloons coming across the border, considering international norms and the terms of the truce," said Hong Min, a senior analyst at the Korea Institute for National Unification in Seoul.
"However, it could further provoke Pyongyang when it is impossible to physically block the balloons drifting southwards in the air," he said.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the balloons weren't found to contain hazardous materials but had been landing in northern provinces, including the capital Seoul and the adjacent area of Gyeonggi, that are collectively home to nearly half of South Korea's population.
South Korean officials have also said Seoul wouldn't rule out responding to the balloons by resuming loudspeaker propaganda campaigns along the border with North Korea.
In the past, South Korea has broadcast anti-Kim propaganda into the North, which infuriates Pyongyang, with experts warning a resumption could even lead to skirmishes along the border.
- In:
- South Korea
- North Korea
veryGood! (358)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- FERC Says it Will Consider Greenhouse Gas Emissions and ‘Environmental Justice’ Impacts in Approving New Natural Gas Pipelines
- Nearly a third of nurses nationwide say they are likely to leave the profession
- SpaceX wants this supersized rocket to fly. But will investors send it to the Moon?
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Mangrove Tree Offspring Travel Through Water Currents. How will Changing Ocean Densities Alter this Process?
- Twitter's concerning surge
- Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Adidas finally has a plan for its stockpile of Yeezy shoes
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- CNN's town hall with Donald Trump takes on added stakes after verdict in Carroll case
- Should EPA Back-Off Pollution Controls to Help LNG Exports Replace Russian Gas in Germany?
- Tracking the impact of U.S.-China tensions on global financial institutions
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Kyle Richards and Mauricio Umansky Break Up After 27 Years of Marriage
- In Georgia, Warnock’s Climate Activism Contrasts Sharply with Walker’s Deep Skepticism
- Has JPMorgan Chase grown too large? A former White House economic adviser weighs in
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
New Study Identifies Rapidly Emerging Threats to Oceans
Financier buys Jeffrey Epstein's private islands, with plans to create a resort
Kyle Richards and Mauricio Umansky Address “Untrue” Divorce Rumors
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
You Don’t Need to Buy a Vowel to Enjoy Vanna White's Style Evolution
MTV News shut down as Paramount Global cuts 25% of its staff
Hard times are here for news sites and social media. Is this the end of Web 2.0?