Current:Home > MarketsTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Confederate memorial to be removed in coming days from Arlington National Cemetery -Capitatum
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Confederate memorial to be removed in coming days from Arlington National Cemetery
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 21:30:31
ARLINGTON,TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center Va. (AP) — A Confederate memorial is to be removed from Arlington National Cemetery in northern Virginia in the coming days, part of the push to remove symbols that commemorate the Confederacy from military-related facilities, a cemetery official said Saturday.
The decision ignores a recent demand from more than 40 Republican congressmen that the Pentagon suspend efforts to dismantle and remove the monument from Arlington cemetery.
Safety fencing has been installed around the memorial, and officials anticipate completing the removal by Dec. 22, the Arlington National Cemetery said in an email. During the removal, the surrounding landscape, graves and headstones will be protected, the Arlington National Cemetery said.
Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin disagrees with the decision and plans to move the monument to the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park in the Shenandoah Valley, Youngkin spokeswoman Macaulay Porter said.
In 2022, an independent commission recommended that the memorial be taken down, as part of its final report to Congress on renaming of military bases and assets that commemorate the Confederacy.
The statue, unveiled in 1914, features a bronze woman, crowned with olive leaves, standing on a 32-foot pedestal, and was designed to represent the American South. According to Arlington, the woman holds a laurel wreath, a plow stock and a pruning hook, with a Biblical inscription at her feet that says: “They have beat their swords into plough-shares and their spears into pruning hooks.”
Some of the figures also on the statue include a Black woman depicted as “Mammy” holding what is said to be the child of a white officer, and an enslaved man following his owner to war.
In a recent letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, more than 40 House Republicans said the commission overstepped its authority when it recommended that the monument be removed. The congressmen contended that the monument “does not honor nor commemorate the Confederacy; the memorial commemorates reconciliation and national unity.”
“The Department of Defense must respect Congress’ clear legislative intentions regarding the Naming Commission’s legislative authority” the letter said.
U.S. Rep. Andrew Clyde, a Georgia Republican, has led the push to block the memorial’s removal. Clyde’s office did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment Saturday.
A process to prepare for the memorial’s removal and relocation has been completed, the cemetery said. The memorial’s bronze elements will be relocated, while the granite base and foundation will remain in place to avoid disturbing surrounding graves, it said.
Earlier this year, Fort Bragg shed its Confederate namesake to become Fort Liberty, part of the broad Department of Defense initiative, motivated by the 2020 George Floyd protests, to rename military installations that had been named after confederate soldiers.
The North Carolina base was originally named in 1918 for Gen. Braxton Bragg, a Confederate general from Warrenton, North Carolina, who was known for owning slaves and losing key Civil War battles that contributed to the Confederacy’s downfall.
The Black Lives Matter demonstrations that erupted nationwide after Floyd’s killing by a white police officer, coupled with ongoing efforts to remove Confederate monuments, turned the spotlight on the Army installations. The naming commission created by Congress visited the bases and met with members of the surrounding communities for input.
veryGood! (442)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Officer responding to domestic disturbance fires weapon; woman and child are dead in Missouri suburb
- Rare Sephora Deals on Beauty Devices That Never Go On Sale: Dyson Airwrap, NuFace & More
- Judge says New York can’t use ‘antiquated, unconstitutional’ law to block migrant buses from Texas
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Levi Strauss heir Daniel Lurie pledges to make San Francisco safer as mayor
- Dua Lipa Cancels Concert Due to Safety Concerns
- New Federal Funds Aim to Cut Carbon Emissions and Air Pollution From US Ports
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Florida men's basketball coach Todd Golden accused of sexual harassment in Title IX complaint
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Frustrated Americans await the economic changes they voted for with Trump
- The Ravens' glaring flaw flared up vs. the Bengals. It could be their eventual undoing.
- Minnesota Man Who Told Ex She’d “End Up Like Gabby Petito” Convicted of Killing Her
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Ja'Marr Chase shreds Ravens again to set season mark for receiving yards against one team
- How Wicked Director Jon M. Chu Joined L.A. Premiere From the Hospital as Wife Preps to Give Birth
- Judge says New York can’t use ‘antiquated, unconstitutional’ law to block migrant buses from Texas
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Bribery case adds to problems in Mississippi city with water woes and policing disputes
Pretty Little Liars' Brant Daugherty Reveals Which NSFW Movie He Hopes His Kids Don't See
NFL Week 10 bold predictions: Which players, teams will turn heads?
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Community grieves 10-year-old student hit and killed by school bus in Missouri
Wicked's Ariana Grande, Cynthia Erivo, Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth Have Magical Red Carpet Moment
Officials say 1 of several New Jersey wildfires threatens 55 structures; no evacuations ordered