Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:Funeral home gave grieving relatives concrete instead of ashes, man alleges in new lawsuit -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:Funeral home gave grieving relatives concrete instead of ashes, man alleges in new lawsuit
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:21:06
A Colorado man has started the legal process to seek a class-action lawsuit against Return to Nature Funeral Home on Johnathan WalkerMonday after learning a family member's body allegedly wasn't cremated.
Richard Law filed the lawsuit in Fremont County District Court after law enforcement accused the funeral home of mishandling nearly 200 bodies. In the lawsuit, Law claims his father, Roger Law, is among the bodies recovered despite dying from COVID-19 and allegedly being cremated in 2020. The lawsuit alleges the funeral home routinely gave grieving relatives crushed concrete instead of ashes.
Andrew Swan, a member of the legal team representing Law and other families, told USA TODAY on Tuesday he's disturbed by the funeral home accepting more burials and allowing them to pile up.
"It's not like Return to Nature received 189 bodies all at once," Swan said. We know that starting three years ago when bodies were filling up, they kept taking more money and more bodies. They were doubling down time and time again."
Law contacted the funeral home and made arrangements for his father's body to be cremated. He paid $1,430.71 but said in the lawsuit Return to Nature pretended to cremate Roger and gave Law false ashes.
Authorities removed 189 bodies from the funeral home on Oct. 13, Fremont County Coroner Randy Keller and Fremont County Sheriff Allen Cooper said in a joint press release on Oct. 17. They said the number of bodies recovered could increase.
Susan Medina, spokesperson for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation told USA TODAY on Tuesday the number of bodies recovered still hasn't changed and declined to share further information about criminal charges, citing the active investigation.
"Return to Nature Funeral Home and its owners took advantage of these families’ trust and lied to them about what happened to their loved ones’ bodies," according to the lawsuit. "In some cases (including in Roger’s case), the owners went as far as to return counterfeit ashes to the decedents’ families and falsify the decedents’ death certificates."
The website for Return to Nature Funeral Home is no longer accessible as of Tuesday. According to the Wayback Machine, an internet archive website, the funeral home's website was last active on Oct. 18.
The Facebook page and phone number connected to the funeral home are both inactive as of Tuesday. The home has been in business since 2017, according to public records, and has locations in Colorado Springs and Penrose.
Owners Jon and Carie Hallford and Return to Nature are listed as defendants in the lawsuit. They didn't immediately respond to USA TODAY's request for comment on Tuesday. No attorney was listed for the Hallfords or the funeral home.
The lawsuit seeks a trial by jury.
Some of the affected families also allegedly received fake ashes of their loved ones.
"On information and belief, Defendants routinely gave crushed concrete and other counterfeits to its customers to deceive them into believing that their loved ones had been properly cremated."
Law's father was identified among the removed bodies through his fingerprints, which Swan said thrust Law back into the grief process.
Law sought a class action lawsuit due to the number of families affected across Colorado and the U.S. The lawsuit could involve all immediate family members of those who weren't buried or cremated at Return to Nature Funeral Home.
"Roger deserved better. So did the other 188 victims found at the Penrose Property," according to the lawsuit.
Contributing: Associated Press
veryGood! (55)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Diamonds in the vacuum cleaner: Paris’ luxury Ritz hotel finds guest’s missing ring
- LSU QB Jayden Daniels wins Heisman Trophy despite team's struggles
- Live updates | Israel says it’s prepared to fight for months to defeat Hamas
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Hiding purchases or debts from a partner can break a relationship – or spice it up
- Prince William, Princess Kate share a new family photo on Christmas card: See the pic
- Elon Musk restores X account of Alex Jones, right-wing conspiracy theorist banned for abusive behavior
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Why 'Friends' is the 'heartbeat' of Julia Roberts sci-fi movie 'Leave the World Behind'
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- In Booker-winning 'Prophet Song,' the world ends slowly and then all at once
- MLB free agency: Five deals that should happen with Shohei Ohtani off the board
- Why protests at UN climate talks in UAE are not easy to find
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Thousands march in Europe in the latest rallies against antisemitism stoked by the war in Gaza
- Jury trial will decide how much Giuliani must pay election workers over false election fraud claims
- In 911 calls, panicked students say they were stuck in rooms amid Las Vegas campus shooting
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Person of interest taken into custody in killing of Detroit synagogue leader Samantha Woll
These Deals on Winter Boots Were Made For Walking & So Much More
From pickleball to Cat'lympics, these are your favorite hobbies of the year
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Tennessee picks up pieces after terrifying tornadoes; storm pounds East Coast: Live updates
LeBron James Supports Son Bronny at USC Basketball Debut After Health Scare
LGBTQ+ activists in Minnesota want prosecutors to treat the killing of a trans woman as a hate crime