Current:Home > NewsRuby Princess cruise ship has left San Francisco after being damaged in dock crash -Capitatum
Ruby Princess cruise ship has left San Francisco after being damaged in dock crash
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:23:42
The U.S. Coast Guard gave the Ruby Princess clearance to depart San Francisco on Sunday, three days after the cruise ship crashed into a dock and had to undergo significant repairs.
Representatives with Princess Cruises, the ship's owner, said that repairs to the punctured hull —which forced the ship to remain at San Francisco's Pier 27 over the weekend— were inspected and certified by the Coast Guard and the "ship is safe and fit to sail."
The Ruby Princess set sail Sunday for the Pacific Northwest with 2,677 guests and 1,161 crewmembers, the company said. It is scheduled to make stops Wednesday in Ketchikan, Alaska, and Thursday in Prince Rupert, Canada. It will conclude its trip back in San Francisco on July 16, keeping with the originally scheduled end date of the cruise.
The cruise was shortened from 10 to seven days as a result of the accident.
The Ruby Princess was damaged Thursday when it struck the dock at Pier 27, punching a hole in the side. For the next few days, the disabled ship became something of a tourist attraction of its own. No one was injured in the accident.
"It could have been worse, right?" passenger Kat Hanson told CBS San Francisco. "We could be in the middle of the ocean and, God forbid, something could have been worse."
While the hole was being patched and repainted, a few thousand tourists were given an unexpected opportunity to explore San Francisco.
"We actually had a chance to go to Embarcadero and Pier 39 shopping center," passenger Linda Wong said. "This is like an extra shore excursion for us, right? But it's free. So, pretty good. We bought some souvenirs also."
Many passengers remained upbeat, despite their planned trip being shortened by three days. Passengers who chose to leave were offered a full refund, while those who chose to wait out the repairs received a 75% discount on a future cruise.
Stuart Sousa was one of those passengers willing to stick it out, but he was unhappy that the ship would only be visiting Ketchikan and Prince Rupert before heading home.
"So, we'll only go to one city in Alaska and one city in Canada and then we're coming back," Sousa said. "We were hoping to see the glaciers and all that, but we already had this time scheduled."
This marks the latest in a string of issues the Ruby Princess has dealt with over the past few years, including multiple COVID-19 outbreaks.
In early March, more than 300 passengers and crewmembers reported feeling sick with what was determined by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention to be a norovirus.
In April of last year, at least 143 passengers aboard the Ruby Princess tested positive for COVID-19 during a trip from San Francisco to Hawaii. The previous month, more than 70 people tested positive for the virus during a Panama Canal cruise.
In March of 2020, at the onset of the pandemic, a COVID-19 outbreak linked to hundreds of passengers aboard the Ruby Princess after it docked in Sydney, Australia, resulted in 28 deaths, Australian health officials determined at the time, according to BBC News.
- In:
- COVID-19
- Cruise Ship
- San Francisco
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- DOJ charges 193 people, including doctors and nurses, in $2.7B health care fraud schemes
- Faced with the opportunity to hit Trump on abortion rights, Biden falters
- Mount Everest's melting ice reveals bodies of climbers lost in the death zone
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Diamond Shruumz products recalled due to toxin that has stricken 39 people in 20 states
- Pair of giant pandas from China arrive safely at San Diego Zoo
- JBLM servicemen say the Army didn’t protect them from a doctor charged with abusive sexual contact
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Millie Bobby Brown and Jake Bongiovi Enjoy Italy Vacation With His Dad Jon Bon Jovi After Wedding
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Over 130,000 Baseus portable chargers recalled after 39 fires and 13 burn injuries
- Supreme Court overturns Chevron decision, curtailing federal agencies' power in major shift
- What to know about Oklahoma’s top education official ordering Bible instruction in schools
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Theodore Roosevelt’s pocket watch was stolen in 1987. It’s finally back at his New York home
- Retiring ESPN host John Anderson to anchor final SportsCenter on Friday
- Sleeping on public property can be a crime if you're homeless, Supreme Court says
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Storms threatens Upper Midwest communities still reeling from historic flooding
Bolivian army leader arrested after apparent coup attempt
Kentucky Congressman Thomas Massie announces the death of his wife, Rhonda Massie
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Eagles singer Don Henley sues for return of handwritten ‘Hotel California’ lyrics, notes
Arson blamed for fire that destroyed historic home on Georgia plantation site
Detroit paying $300,000 to man wrongly accused of theft, making changes in use of facial technology