Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:Two men shot during Pennsylvania assassination attempt on Trump say Secret Service failed them -Capitatum
Surpassing:Two men shot during Pennsylvania assassination attempt on Trump say Secret Service failed them
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 08:20:35
BUTLER,Surpassing Pa. (AP) — Two men who were shot during the first assassination attempt on Donald Trump this summer say the U.S. Secret Service was “negligent” in protecting the former president and other bystanders at the campaign rally in Pennsylvania.
David Dutch, 57, an ex-Marine, and James Copenhaver, 74, a retired liquor store manager, told NBC News in an exclusive interview Monday they were excited to be sitting in the bleachers behind the Republican nominee at the fairgrounds in Butler on July 13 when gunshots rang out and they were hit.
Another man, Corey Comperatore, 50, was killed in the shooting while shielding his family. Trump was wounded in the ear.
The interview with the two Pennsylvania men who were critically injured marked their first public statements since 20-year-old shooter Thomas Matthew Crooks of Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, opened fire in July from an unsecured rooftop nearby before he was fatally shot by sharpshooters.
“It was like getting hit with a sledgehammer right in the chest,” said Dutch, who served in both Desert Shield and Desert Storm in his time with the Marines from 1986 to 1992. He said he could see chunks of the bleacher and metal “flying all around” until the shooting stopped.
Dutch said Monday he was still “angry that the whole situation even happened. It should have never happened.” NBC News reported the two men’s attorneys said they were looking into possible litigation over what they view as negligence by the Secret Service.
“It wouldn’t have happened, had it been secure,” Copenhaver said.
Kimberly Cheatle, director of the Secret Service at the time, called the attempt on Trump’s life at the Pennsylvania rally the Secret Service’s “most significant operational failure” in decades.” She stepped down this summer after lawmakers called for her to resign.
Trump returned earlier this month to the Pennsylvania fairgrounds where he was nearly assassinated in July, urging a large crowd to deliver an Election Day victory that he tied to his survival of the shooting.
veryGood! (838)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Pink’s Daughter Willow Singing With Her Onstage Is True Love
- Warming Trends: A Hidden Crisis, a Forest to Visit Virtually and a New Trick for Atmospheric Rivers
- Jon Gosselin Addresses 9-Year Estrangement From Kids Mady and Cara
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Kathy Griffin Undergoes Vocal Cord Surgery
- Adam DeVine Says He Saw a Person Being Murdered Near His Hollywood Hills Home
- That $3 Trillion-a-Year Clean Energy Transformation? It’s Already Underway.
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Lionel Messi Announces Move to Major League Soccer, Rejecting $400 Million Offer From Saudi Arabia
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- JoJo Siwa's Bold Hair Transformation Is Perfect If You're Torn Between Going Blonde or Brunette
- Blake Shelton Finally Congratulates The Voice's Niall Horan in the Most Classic Blake Shelton Way
- Courts Question Pipeline Builders’ Use of Eminent Domain to Take Land
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Natalee Holloway Suspect Joran Van Der Sloot Pleads Not Guilty in U.S. Fraud Case
- If Aridification Choked the Southwest for Thousands of Years, What Does The Future Hold?
- Allow Kylie Jenner to Give You a Mini Tour of Her California Home
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
DeSantis Recognizes the Threat Posed by Climate Change, but Hasn’t Embraced Reducing Carbon Emissions
Leandro De Niro-Rodriguez, Robert De Niro's grandson, dies at age 19
Transcript: Former Vice President Mike Pence on Face the Nation, July 2, 2023
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Ousted Standing Rock Leader on the Pipeline Protest That Almost Succeeded
Confidential Dakota Pipeline Memo: Standing Rock Not a Disadvantaged Community Impacted by Pipeline
California Ups Its Clean Energy Game: Gov. Brown Signs 100% Zero-Carbon Electricity Bill