Current:Home > ScamsDiddy seeks to have producer’s lawsuit tossed, says it’s full of ‘blatant falsehoods’ -Capitatum
Diddy seeks to have producer’s lawsuit tossed, says it’s full of ‘blatant falsehoods’
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-05 14:46:23
Sean “Diddy” Combs asked a federal judge Monday to throw out a lawsuit from a music producer who accused the music mogul of a broad pattern of sexual abuse and other misconduct.
The lawsuit filed in February by Rodney “Lil Rod” Jones — one of many filed against Combs in the past year — is overrun with “tall tales,” “lurid theatrics,” “legally meaningless allegations” and “blatant falsehoods” whose intent is only to “generate media hype and exploit it to extract a settlement,” according to the motion to dismiss filed in federal court in New York.
The case fails to establish that Jones has standing to sue, does not include essential details including times and places of the incidents described and “fails to make a single viable claim,” according to the motion.
Several lawsuits alleging sexual and other abuse against Combs had already been filed when Jones sued in February, but the circumstances surrounding the hip-hop star have grown more dire since.
In March, simultaneous raids on Combs’ homes in Florida and California led to the revelation that he was the subject of a federal criminal sex trafficking investigation that is ongoing.
And in May, CNN aired 2016 hotel security video that showed him punching, kicking and dragging the R& B singer Cassie, who was his protege and longtime girlfriend at the time. The incident closely matched a description in a lawsuit she filed in November that was settled the following day but set off intense scrutiny of Combs.
A few days after the video’s airing, Combs posted an apology video on social media saying he was “truly sorry” and his actions were “inexcusable.”
Jones’ sprawling lawsuit, which also names Combs’ son and several of his business associates as defendants, describes a year he spent in the music mogul’s life in Los Angeles and Miami in the process of producing an album in 2022 and 2023.
Jones says he witnessed — and in many cases captured on audio — hundreds of hours of illegal drug and sexual activity by Combs and the people surrounding him. Combs’ Monday motion says it is “replete with farfetched tales of misconduct” but “contains very few allegations relating to Jones other than an allegation that Combs failed to pay the producer for his work.”
The suit is an attempt to turn that commercial dispute into a broad criminal conspiracy run by Combs, without providing evidence of any significance, Combs’ filing says.
Jones also alleges that Combs tried to groom him for sex, groped him, made him solicit prostitutes and pressured him to have sex with them.
But the motion from Combs’ lawyers says “Jones fails to plead the most basic facts, such as where and when any purported instance of assault occurred or what allegedly transpired,” and fails to provide evidence that Jones was coerced in a way that would make him a victim.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually abused unless they come forward publicly as Jones and Cassie have done.
Other than what was captured on the hotel security video with Cassie, Combs has broadly denied the allegations in the lawsuits against him.
“Let me absolutely clear. I did not do any of the awful things being alleged,” he said in a post in December.
veryGood! (73312)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Lionel Messi's Inter Miami already in MLS playoffs. Which teams are in contention?
- Social media is filled with skin care routines for girls. Here’s what dermatologists recommend
- Donald Trump moves to halt hush money proceedings, sentencing after asking federal court to step in
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Judge allows smoking to continue in Atlantic City casinos, dealing blow to workers
- Home contract signings hit lowest since 2001 as house hunters losing hope
- Dozens arrested in bust targeting 'largest known pharmacy burglary ring' in DEA history
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Jewish students at Columbia faced hostile environment during pro-Palestinian protests, report finds
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Target's viral Lewis the Pumpkin Ghoul is sneaking into stores, but won't likely lurk long
- Ancient mosaic of Hercules nets man prison term for illegal import from Syria
- Murder conviction remains reinstated for Adnan Syed in ‘Serial’ case as court orders new hearing
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- TikTok 'demure' trend is a masterclass from a trans woman on respect and kindness
- Look: Olympic medalist Simone Biles throws out first pitch at Houston Astros MLB game
- One Tree Hill Sequel Series in the Works 12 Years After Finale
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Judge orders amendment to bring casino to Missouri’s Lake of the Ozarks to go before voters
Priceless Ford 1979 Probe I concept car destroyed in fire leaving Pebble Beach Concours
Trump film ‘The Apprentice’ finds distributor, will open before election
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
2024 Paris Paralympics: Paychecks for Medal Winners Revealed
A Georgia Democrat seeks to unseat an indicted Trump elector who says he only did what he was told
Winners and losers of the Brandon Aiyuk contract extension