Current:Home > MarketsIn a shocker, David Taylor fails to make Olympic wrestling team. Aaron Brooks earns spot -Capitatum
In a shocker, David Taylor fails to make Olympic wrestling team. Aaron Brooks earns spot
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 09:41:23
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — One of the biggest stars in U.S. wrestling has failed to qualify for the Summer Olympics.
In a shocking twist, two-time defending world champion and reigning Olympic gold medalist David Taylor will miss out on the 2024 Paris Games after losing to fellow Penn State product Aaron Brooks on Saturday night at the Olympic trials.
Taylor, 33, got an automatic bye to the final at the Olympic trials by virtue of his past performances, needing only to win two of three bouts against Brooks to lock up his spot on Team USA. But he came out flat in the first match at 86 kilograms Saturday morning, losing 4-1. And a 3-1 defeat to Brooks on Saturday night followed, stunning the crowd at the Bryce Jordan Center on the campus where they both previously starred.
"He's one of the first guys to make this program what it is," Brooks said. "It's been a blessing, being around him and watching what he does."
Taylor did not pass through the mixed zone and field questions from reporters.
It was an almost unfathomable outcome for the wrestler known by fans as "Magic Man," who has been arguably the most dominant male wrestler for the U.S. over the past five years. Prior to this weekend's Olympic trials, Taylor had won 26 of 27 matches dating back to the start of 2019 and beat opponents by a combined score of 226-19. His lone loss came in the final of the 2021 world championships against Iranian rival Hassan Yazdani. The two men were heavily favored to face off again in Paris, likely with a gold medal on the line.
Instead, Taylor becomes the latest U.S. star to be foiled by the country's trials system, in which even the most accomplished athletes are forced to earn their place.
Only one athlete per country per weight class is allowed to compete at the Olympic Games.
Ultimately, Team USA's gold-medal hopeful was foiled by Brooks, a 23-year-old who just wrapped up his collegiate career with a fourth consecutive NCAA title.
While Taylor got an automatic bye to the Olympic trials final, Brooks had to navigate his way through the challenge tournament − and he almost didn't survive to face Taylor in the first place. In his second match Friday, Brooks squeaked by Zahid Valencia, 7-6, under controversial circumstances. He was trailing until the official awarded him a penalty point in the closing seconds, ruling that Valencia had yanked on Brooks' singlet.
Brooks said the challenge tournament might have aided him, because he already had two must-win bouts under his belt before he took the mat against Taylor. But he's not sure, as Taylor had the advantage of resting all day Friday.
"I knew second match, he was going to come out a lot more harder," Brooks said. "It's pros and cons to both. I wouldn't pick one. Just wherever you're at, use what you've got."
Contact Tom Schad at [email protected] or on social media @Tom_Schad.
veryGood! (4111)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Jennifer Lawrence Brushes Off Her Wardrobe Malfunction Like a Pro
- Daryl Hall gets restraining order against John Oates amid legal battle
- The 25 Best Black Friday 2023 Beauty Deals You Don't Want to Miss: Ulta, Sephora & More
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Stellantis recalls more than 32,000 hybrid Jeep Wrangler SUVs because of potential fire risk
- Michigan man arrested and charged with murder in 2021 disappearance of his wife
- Hawaii’s governor wants to make it easier for travelers from Japan to visit the islands
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Christian school that objected to transgender athlete sues Vermont after it’s banned from competing
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Walmart shooter who injured 4 in Ohio may have been motivated by racial extremism, FBI says
- Zoë Kravitz Shares Glimpse of Her Gorgeous Engagement Ring During Dinner Date With Fiancé Channing Tatum
- Family of American toddler held hostage says they are cautiously hopeful for her return amid deal with Hamas
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Warren Buffett donates nearly $900 million to charities before Thanksgiving
- 10 days after India tunnel collapse, medical camera offers glimpse of 41 men trapped inside awaiting rescue
- Colts owner Jim Irsay's unhinged rant is wrong on its own and another big problem for NFL
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
What the events leading up to Sam Altman’s reinstatement at OpenAI mean for the industry’s future
Diddy's former Bad Boy president sued for sexual assault; company says it's 'investigating'
2 men arrested in brazen plot to steal more than 120 guns from Dunham's Sports in Michigan
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Amazon's Black Friday game will be experience unlike what NFL fans have seen before
A Thanksgiving guest's guide to Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce
Cuba Gooding Jr. sued for sexual assault, battery in two new lawsuits by former accusers