Current:Home > NewsGeorge Santos charged with conspiracy, wire fraud and more -Capitatum
George Santos charged with conspiracy, wire fraud and more
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-05 22:40:44
Washington — Embattled New York Rep. George Santos was indicted on new federal charges on Tuesday in a superseding indictment — including conspiracy, wire fraud, aggravated identity theft and credit card fraud — just days after his former campaign treasurer pleaded guilty and admitted to much of the conduct, according to court documents.
Prosecutors in the Eastern District of New York alleged that Santos and ex-campaign treasurer Nancy Marks submitted false financial reports to the Federal Election Commission that inflated the campaign's fundraising numbers in an effort to qualify for certain perks, benefits, and support from Republican Party leaders.
The 10 new charges included in the superseding indictment unsealed Tuesday also include fresh allegations that Santos used individuals' personal credit card information to make unauthorized charges in support of his political campaign. The victims, according to the charges, were previous donors to the campaign who had provided their personal information when contributing funds to Santos.
In one instance, the court documents unsealed Tuesday revealed Santos allegedly racked up $15,800 in charges on a contributor's credit card, a sum far higher than federal campaign laws permit. That donor "did not know of or authorize charges exceeding such limits," prosecutors said.
In response to the new indictment, Santos denied the charges Tuesday night and told CBS' Nikole Killion he was entitled to due process and would fight the indictments "until the bitter end."
Santos pleaded not guilty earlier this year to a slew of charges from an original indictment that included accusations that he devised an alleged scheme to defraud prospective supporters of his 2022 congressional campaign. Prosecutors alleged he used solicited campaign donations on personal expenses including luxury designer clothes, credit card and car payments, and payments on personal debts.
The congressman is set to appear in federal court on October 27, where he will likely be arraigned on the new charges against him.
Investigators alleged that Santos, Marks, and others were aware in 2021 of a $250,000 fundraising threshold that the campaign had to meet to qualify for Republican Party backing.
"We're going to do this a little differently. I got it," Santos allegedly said in a text message responding to questions about the funding qualification, court documents reveal, and subsequently hatched a plan with Marks to falsely claim that 10 donors, including some of his family members, contributed thousands of dollars to his campaign when in fact, they had not.
Those false donations, according to the superseding indictment, were then allegedly included on a Federal Election Commission year-end report. Santos and Marks, the new charging documents alleged, "knew that none of these reported contributions were true."
The pair also allegedly lied about a loan they said Santos had provided to his campaign in an effort to bolster the campaign's prospects heading into the election. In April 2022, according to the superseding indictment, the Santos campaign published fake fundraising totals and reported to both national party officials and the FEC that Santos had loaned his campaign $500,000. Prosecutors say Santos "had less than $8,000 in his personal and business bank accounts" at the time.
The alleged scheme, according to prosecutors, was carried out in an effort to make Santos' campaign "appear more financially sound than it was."
Last week, Marks pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit offenses against the United States, which included much of the new alleged conduct charge against Santos.
While it is unclear from court documents whether the plea agreement Marks entered requires her to cooperate with prosecutors, her attorney said outside the courthouse last week that she would testify in Santos' prosecution if subpoenaed.
Santos, a freshman congressman who represents New York's 3rd Congressional District, has been dogged by allegations that he inflated his resume and lied about his past experience to bolster his election chances in his 2022 political campaign. He has admitted that he "embellished" his resume. He has spent much of his tenure in Congress haunted by questions about his education and professional experience, as well as his finances and campaign spending.
John Nolen and Michael Kaplan contributed to this report.
- In:
- George Santos
veryGood! (11)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- What sustains moon's fragile exosphere? Being 'bombarded' by meteorites, study says
- Incumbent Maloy still leads after recount in Utah US House race, but lawsuit could turn the tide
- South Carolina school apologizes for employees' Border Patrol shirts at 'cantina' event
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds' Son Olin's Famous Godfather Revealed
- Elon Musk sues OpenAI, renewing claims ChatGPT-maker put profits before ‘the benefit of humanity’
- Haunting Secrets About The Sixth Sense You Won't Be Able to Unsee
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Oakland A’s to sell stake in Coliseum to local Black development group
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Republican congressman who voted to impeach Trump fights to survive Washington primary
- Democratic primary in Arizona’s 3rd District is too close to call, AP determines
- T.I. arrested over case of mistaken identity, quickly released
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Two hikers reported missing in Yosemite National Park after going on day hike Saturday
- RHODubai: Why Miserable Caroline Stanbury Was Called Out During Cast Healing Trip
- USA men's volleyball stays unbeaten with quarterfinal win over Brazil
Recommendation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Ferguson thrust them into activism. Now, Cori Bush and Wesley Bell battle for a congressional seat
Lionel Richie Reacts to Carrie Underwood Joining Him and Luke Bryan on American Idol
John Travolta and daughter Ella Bleu spotted on rare outing at Paris Olympics
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
NY homeowner testifies that RFK Jr. rents a room at trial disputing whether he lives in the state
Simone Biles Details Future Family Plans With Husband Jonathan Owens
Sammy Hagar calls Aerosmith's retirement an 'honorable' decision