Current:Home > MarketsA year after the Titan’s tragic dive, deep-sea explorers vow to pursue ocean’s mysteries -Capitatum
A year after the Titan’s tragic dive, deep-sea explorers vow to pursue ocean’s mysteries
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:57:41
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The deadly implosion of an experimental submersible en route to the deep-sea grave of the Titanic last June has not dulled the desire for further ocean exploration, despite lingering questions about the disaster.
Tuesday marks one year since the Titan vanished on its way to the historic wreckage site in the North Atlantic Ocean. After a five-day search that captured attention around the world, authorities said the vessel had been destroyed and all five people on board had died.
Concerns have been raised about whether the Titan was destined for disaster because of its unconventional design and its creator’s refusal to submit to independent checks that are standard in the industry. The U.S. Coast Guard quickly convened a high-level investigation into what happened, but officials said the inquiry is taking longer than the initial 12-month time frame, and a planned public hearing to discuss their findings won’t happen for at least another two months.
Meanwhile, deep-sea exploration continues. The Georgia-based company that owns the salvage rights to the Titanic plans to visit the sunken ocean liner in July using remotely operated vehicles, and a real estate billionaire from Ohio has said he plans a voyage to the shipwreck in a two-person submersible in 2026. Numerous ocean explorers told The Associated Press they are confident undersea exploration can continue safely in a post-Titan world.
“It’s been a desire of the scientific community to get down into the ocean,” said Greg Stone, a veteran ocean explorer and friend of Titan operator Stockton Rush, who died in the implosion. “I have not noticed any difference in the desire to go into the ocean, exploring.”
OceanGate, a company co-founded by Rush that owned the submersible, suspended operations in early July. A spokesperson for the company declined to comment.
David Concannon, a former adviser to OceanGate, said he will mark the anniversary privately with a group of people who were involved with the company or the submersible’s expeditions over the years, including scientists, volunteers and mission specialists. Many of them, including those who were on the Titan support ship Polar Prince, have not been interviewed by the Coast Guard, he said.
“The fact is, they are isolated and in a liminal space,” he said in an email last week. “Stockton Rush has been vilified and so has everyone associated with OceanGate. I wasn’t even there and I have gotten death threats. We support each other and just wait to be interviewed. The world has moved on ... but the families and those most affected are still living with this tragedy every day.”
The Titan had been chronicling the Titanic’s decay and the underwater ecosystem around the sunken ocean liner in yearly voyages since 2021.
The craft made its last dive on June 18, 2023, a Sunday morning, and lost contact with its support vessel about two hours later. When it was reported overdue that afternoon, rescuers rushed ships, planes and other equipment to the area, about 435 miles (700 kilometers) south of St. John’s, Newfoundland.
The U.S. Navy notified the Coast Guard that day of an anomaly in its acoustic data that was “consistent with an implosion or explosion” at the time communications between the Polar Prince and the Titan were lost, a senior Navy official later told The Associated Press. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive technology.
Any sliver of hope that remained for finding the crew alive was wiped away on June 22, when the Coast Guard announced that debris had been found near the Titanic on the ocean floor. Authorities have since recovered the submersible’s intact endcap, debris and presumed human remains from the site.
In addition to Rush, the implosion killed two members of a prominent Pakistani family, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood; British adventurer Hamish Harding; and Titanic expert Paul-Henri Nargeolet.
Harding and Nargeolet were members of The Explorers Club, a professional society dedicated to research, exploration and resource conservation.
“Then, as now, it hit us on a personal level very deeply,” the group’s president, Richard Garriott, said in an interview last week. “We knew not only all the people involved, but even all the previous divers, support teams, people working on all these vessels — those were all either members of this club or well within our network.”
Garriott believes even if the Titan hadn’t imploded, the correct rescue equipment didn’t get to the site fast enough. The tragedy caught everyone from the Coast Guard to the ships on site off guard, underscoring the importance of developing detailed search and rescue plans ahead of any expedition, he said. His organization has since created a task force to help others do just that.
“That’s what we’ve been trying to really correct, to make sure that we know exactly who to call and exactly what materials need to be mustered,” he said.
Garriott believes the world is in a new golden age of exploration thanks to technological advances that have opened frontiers and provided new tools to more thoroughly study already visited places. The Titanic tragedy hasn’t tarnished that, he said.
Veteran deep-sea explorer Katy Croff Bell agrees. The Titan implosion reinforced the importance of following industry standards and performing rigorous testing, but in the industry as a whole, “the safety track record for this has been very good for several decades,” said Bell, president of Ocean Discovery League, a nonprofit organization focused on making deep-sea investigation less expensive and more accessible.
Garriott said there will be a remembrance celebration for the Titan victims this week in Portugal at the annual Global Exploration Summit.
“Progress continues,” he said. “I actually feel very comfortable and confident that we will now be able to proceed.”
___
Ramer reported from Concord, New Hampshire.
veryGood! (58)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Republicans say Georgia student’s killing shows Biden’s migration policies have failed
- What time do Michigan polls open and close for the 2024 primary? Key voting hours to know
- Gérard Depardieu faces new complaint amid more than a dozen sexual assault allegations
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Version 1.0: Negro Leagues statistics could soon be entered into MLB record book.
- West Virginia House passes bill to allow religious exemptions for student vaccines
- This Toddler's Viral Golden Girls Hairstyle Is, Well, Pure Gold
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Eagles’ Don Henley takes the stand at ‘Hotel California’ lyrics trial
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Shadowbanned? How to check if Instagram has muted you and what you can do about it
- Death row inmate Thomas Eugene Creech set for execution this week after nearly 50 years behind bars
- Montana Supreme Court rules in favor of major copper mine
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Texas man made $1.76 million from insider trading by eavesdropping on wife's business calls, Justice Department says
- Texas man made $1.76 million from insider trading by eavesdropping on wife's business calls, Justice Department says
- Primary apathy in Michigan: Democrats, GOP struggle as supporters mull whether to even vote
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Reddit's public Wall Street bet
Yoshinobu Yamamoto to make Dodgers start. How to watch star pitcher's debut
West Virginia medical professionals condemn bill that prohibits care to at-risk transgender youth
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Man is shot and killed on a light rail train in Seattle, and suspect remains on the loose
Canada wildfires never stopped, they just went underground as zombie fires smolder on through the winter
2 officers shot and killed a man who discharged a shotgun, police say