Current:Home > MarketsDeath toll soars to 11,300 from flooding in Libyan coastal city of Derna -Capitatum
Death toll soars to 11,300 from flooding in Libyan coastal city of Derna
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 01:17:48
DERNA, Libya — The death toll in Libya's coastal city of Derna has soared to 11,300 as search efforts continue following a massive flood fed by the breaching of two dams in heavy rains, the Libyan Red Crescent said Thursday
Marie el-Drese, secretary-general of aid group, told The Associated Press by phone that a further 10,100 are reported missing in the Mediterranean city. Health authorities previously had put the death toll in Derna at 5,500.
The flooding swept away entire families on Sunday night and exposed vulnerabilities in the oil-rich country that has been mired in conflict since a 2011 uprising that toppled long-ruling dictator Moammar Gadhafi.
Here's a look at the latest developments:
What caused the flooding?
Daniel, an unusually strong Mediterranean storm, caused deadly flooding in towns across eastern Libya, but the worst-hit was Derna. As the storm pounded the coast Sunday night, residents said they heard loud explosions when two dams outside the city collapsed. Floodwaters gushed down Wadi Derna, a valley that cuts through the city, crashing through buildings and washing people out to sea.
A U.N. official said Thursday that most casualties could have been avoided.
"If there would have been a normal operating meteorological service, they could have issued the warnings," World Meteorological Organization head Petteri Taalas told reporters in Geneva. "The emergency management authorities would have been able to carry out the evacuation."
The WMO said earlier this week that the National Meteorological Center had issued warnings 72 hours before the flooding, notifying all governmental authorities by email and through media.
Officials in eastern Libya warned the public about the coming storm and on Saturday had ordered residents to evacuate areas along the coast, fearing a surge from the sea. But there was no warning about the dams collapsing.
How does the conflict in Libya affect the disaster?
The startling devastation reflected the storm's intensity, but also Libya's vulnerability. Oil-rich Libya has been divided between rival governments for most of the past decade — one in the east, the other in the capital, Tripoli — and one result has been widespread neglect of infrastructure.
The two dams that collapsed outside Derna were built in the 1970s. A report by a state-run audit agency in 2021 said the dams had not been maintained despite the allocation of more than 2 million euros for that purpose in 2012 and 2013.
Libya's Tripoli-based Prime Minister Abdul-Hamid Dbeibah acknowledged the maintenance issues in a Cabinet meeting Thursday and called on the Public Prosecutor to open an urgent investigation into the dams' collapse.
The disaster brought a rare moment of unity, as government agencies across the country rushed to help the affected areas.
While the Tobruk-based government of east Libya is leading relief efforts, the Tripoli-based western government allocated the equivalent of $412 million for reconstruction in Derna and other eastern towns, and an armed group in Tripoli sent a convoy with humanitarian aid.
What's happening today?
Derna has begun burying its dead, mostly in mass graves, said eastern Libya's health minister, Othman Abduljaleel earlier Thursday.
More than 3,000 bodies were buried by Thursday morning, the minister said, while another 2,000 were still being processed, He said most of the dead were buried in mass graves outside Derna, while others were transferred to nearby towns and cities.
Abduljaleel said rescue teams were still searching wrecked buildings in the city center, and divers were combing the sea off Derna.
Untold numbers could be buried under drifts of mud and debris, including overturned cars and chunks of concrete, that rise up to four meters (13 feet) high. Rescuers have struggled to bring in heavy equipment as the floods washed out or blocked roads leading to the area.
How many people have been killed?
The Libyan Red Crescent said Thursday that 11,300 people have been killed, and a further 10,100 are reported missing.
Local officials suggested that the death toll could be much higher than announced. In comments to the Saudi-owned Al Arabia television station, Derna Mayor Abdel-Moneim al-Ghaithi said the tally could climb to 20,000 given the number of neighborhoods that were washed out.
The storm also killed around 170 people in other parts of eastern Libya, including the towns of Bayda, Susa, Um Razaz and Marj, the health minister said.
The dead in eastern Libya included at least 84 Egyptians, who were transferred to their home country on Wednesday. More than 70 came from one village in the southern province of Beni Suef. Libyan media also said dozens of Sudanese migrants were killed in the disaster.
Is help reaching survivors?
The floods have also displaced at least 30,000 people in Derna, according to the U.N.'s International Organization for Migration, and several thousand others were forced to leave their homes in other eastern towns, it said.
The floods damaged or destroyed many access roads to Derna, hampering the arrival of international rescue teams and humanitarian assistance. Local authorities were able to clear some routes, and over the past 48 hours humanitarian convoys have been able to enter the city.
The U.N. humanitarian office issued an emergency appeal for $71.4 million to respond to urgent needs of 250,000 Libyans most affected. The humanitarian office, known as OCHA, estimated that approximately 884,000 people in five provinces live in areas directly affected by the rain and flooding.
The International Committee of the Red Cross said Thursday it has provided 6,000 body bags to local authorities, as well as medical, food and other supplies distributed to hard-hit communities.
International aid started to arrive earlier this week in Benghazi, 250 kilometers (150 miles) west of Derna. Several countries have sent aid and rescue teams, including neighboring Egypt, Algeria and Tunisia. Italy dispatched a naval vessel on Thursday carrying humanitarian aid and two navy helicopters to be used for search and rescue operations.
President Joe Biden said the United States would send money to relief organizations and coordinate with Libyan authorities and the United Nations to provide additional support.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- How Bill Belichick won six Super Bowl championships with the Patriots
- Donald Trump’s civil fraud trial in New York heads to closing arguments, days before vote in Iowa
- Intimidated by Strength Training? Here's How I Got Over My Fear of the Weight Room
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Why Golden Bachelor's Leslie Was Uncomfortable During Gerry and Theresa's Wedding
- Video shows Virginia police save driver from fiery wreck after fleeing officers
- What if I owe taxes but I'm unemployed? Tips for filers who recently lost a job
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Jonathan Owens Doubles Down on Having “No Clue” Who Simone Biles Was When They Met
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Trial of woman charged in alleged coverup of Jennifer Dulos killing begins in Connecticut
- Ohio House overrides governor Mike DeWine's veto of gender-affirming care ban
- What if I owe taxes but I'm unemployed? Tips for filers who recently lost a job
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Nick Saban won seven national championships. Ranking them from best to worst
- New funds will make investing in bitcoin easier. Here’s what you need to know
- Todd and Julie Chrisley receive $1M settlement in 2019 lawsuit against tax official
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Poland’s opposition, frustrated over loss of power, calls protest against new pro-EU government
North Carolina gubernatorial candidate Josh Stein has raised $5.7M since July, his campaign says
Rapper G Herbo could be sentenced to more than a year in jail in fraud plot
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Calvin Klein's FKA twigs ad banned in U.K. for presenting singer as 'sexual object'
'Mommy look at me!': Deaf 3-year-old lights up watching 'Barbie with ASL'
Stephen Sondheim is cool now