Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Massachusetts debates how long homeless people can stay in shelters -Capitatum
Rekubit-Massachusetts debates how long homeless people can stay in shelters
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:26:27
BOSTON (AP) — A proposal that would limit how long homeless people can Rekubitstay in emergency state shelters was approved by Massachusetts House lawmakers Wednesday as the system strains under an influx of migrants.
Under the bill, which passed on 121-33 vote and now heads to the Senate, the state would limit the maximum stay to nine months with an additional three months for those who are employed or enrolled in a job training program.
Pregnant women and people with disabilities, among other conditions, would be eligible for 12 consecutive months regardless of their employment status.
The bill states that its goal is to help families successfully exit the program and enter the workforce, while at the same time opening space for families who have been waitlisted as a result of the emergency regulations issued by Gov. Maura Healey last year.
Those regulations set a cap of 7,500 families participating in the emergency shelter program. As of Wednesday, about 700 families were waiting to be enrolled in the program — a number that is expected to continue to grow. The bill would set aside an additional $245 million through the end of the fiscal year to help provide the additional shelter help.
Massachusetts isn’t alone in grappling with ways to limit the amount of time homeless people can stay in shelters.
Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson announced in January that he city will again extend its 60-day limit on shelter stays for asylum-seekers just days ahead of a deadline that could have evicted nearly 2,000 migrants.
Other U.S. cities, including New York and Denver, have put shelter limits in place as they struggle to house and care for the growing population of migrants arriving by bus and plane.
Backers of the bill in Massachusetts said the state needs to step up because the federal government won’t.
“It has become crystal clear that the federal government will provide no relief for states like ours who are facing this emergency all over the country,” said Democratic Rep. Aaron Michlewitz. “Without making some temporary changes to this program it will collapse under its own weight.”
In November, the state House approved an additional $250 million for the program and required the Healey administration to identify state-funded overflow emergency shelter sites for families on the waitlist.
Wednesday’s bill would require those overflow sites to be open daily until at least 9 a.m. and for future overflow sites to be operational 24 hours a day and located in diverse geographic areas.
Republicans said the bill gives the illusion of taking action while failing to address the underlying issue.
Republican state Sen. Peter Durant said the legislation is lacking and doesn’t tackle the cause behind the crisis.
“Once the nine months are up for a migrant and they leave the program, without addressing the ongoing influx, a new migrant will simply fill that spot,” he said. “Not to mention the potential volatile situation that could be created if the state starts actively evicting families from hotel rooms.”
Republican lawmakers also pushed for an amendment that would have created a six-month residency requirement for eligibility in the right to shelter program. The amendment was rejected.
The United Way of Massachusetts Bay, a charitable organization, announced last week the opening of another new temporary overnight emergency shelter located in Boston’s Seaport District. The shelter will accommodate about 25 families and their children, officials said.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Kate Middleton Receives Royally Sweet Message From King Charles III on Her 42nd Birthday
- When will the IRS accept 2024 returns? Here's when you can start filing your taxes.
- New labor rules aim to offer gig workers more security, though some employers won’t likely be happy
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- NFL wild-card weekend injuries: Steelers star T.J. Watt out vs. Bills with knee injury
- Global economy will slow for a third straight year in 2024, World Bank predicts
- Kenyan court: Charge doomsday cult leader within 2 weeks or we release him on our terms
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- CES 2024 updates: The most interesting news and gadgets from tech’s big show
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- TV is back! Here are the best shows in winter 2024 from 'True Detective' to 'Shogun'
- Golden Globes 2024 red carpet highlights: Looks, quotes and more key moments
- South Carolina Republican agenda includes energy resilience, gender care, Black history and guns
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Maine House votes down GOP effort to impeach election official who removed Trump from ballot
- Colts owner Jim Irsay being treated for 'severe respiratory illness'
- Eclectic Grandpa Is the New Aesthetic & We Are Here for the Cozy Quirkiness
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Former CNN host Don Lemon returns with 'The Don Lemon Show,' new media company
RHOSLC Reunion: The Rumors and Nastiness Continue in Dramatic Preview
Budget agreement may include IRS cuts that curb plan to crack down on wealthy tax cheats
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Jury duty phone scam uses threat of arrest if the victim doesn't pay a fine. Here's how to protect yourself.
Inside Pregnant Jessie James Decker’s Cozy Baby Shower for Her and Eric Decker’s 4th Baby
Michael Penix Jr. overcame injury history, but not Michigan's defense, in CFP title game