Current:Home > StocksAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Trump attorneys meet with special counsel at Justice Dept amid documents investigation -Capitatum
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Trump attorneys meet with special counsel at Justice Dept amid documents investigation
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:23:37
Attorneys representing former President Donald Trump — John Rowley,Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center James Trusty and Lindsey Halligan — met with special counsel Jack Smith and federal prosecutors at the Justice Department at around 10 a.m. Monday, according to two people familiar with the matter.
The meeting took place weeks after Trump's lawyers had requested a meeting with top federal law enforcement officials. The attorneys for the former president spent just under two hours inside the Main Justice building and declined to comment on their meeting as they left.
CBS News cameras captured Trump's legal team walking into the Justice Department. The former president's lawyers did not speak as they entered the building in Washington. A person familiar with the meeting between the three attorneys and the department said that Attorney General Merrick Garland did not attend.
Two people familiar with the probe said that Trump's legal team is frustrated with how Justice Department officials have handled attorney-client matters in recent months and would likely raise their concerns on this front during Monday's meeting, in particular, prosecutors' discussions of related issues in front of the grand jury.
Earlier this year, a federal judge said Trump's attorney must testify before a federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., investigating the former president's retention of documents with classified markings.
The attorney, Evan Corcoran, previously refused to answer questions from investigators about his conversations with Trump, citing attorney-client privilege concerns. Prosecutors in the special counsel's office wanted to ask Corcoran about an alleged call he had with Trump on June 24, 2022, around the time investigators were seeking to secure documents at Trump's home and video surveillance tapes of Mar-a-Lago, a source previously told CBS news last week.
The special counsel's team asked D.C. District Chief Judge Beryl Howell to reject Corcoran's claims of privilege and force him to testify against his client, Trump, on the basis that the attorney-client communications in question could have furthered criminal activity. Howell's secret order only partially granted that request and ruled that the so-called "crime-fraud exception" be applied to Corcoran's testimony on a specific set of questions, the sources said.
An appeals court rejected the former president's request to put a stop to Corcoran's testimony, upholding Howell's ruling. Howell was replaced as chief judge on the D.C. federal court by Judge James Boasberg, who ruled earlier this year that former Vice President Mike Pence had to testify before a grand jury in the special counsel's second investigation into Trump centered around efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election and the Jan. 6 attack at the U.S. Capitol.
Special counsel Jack Smith has been investigating the former president after documents with classified markings from his White House tenure were uncovered at Trump's Florida residence, Mar-a-Lago, in August 2022. Prosecutors are also looking into whether there were efforts to obstruct attempts to recover the records, according to multiple sources close to the investigation.
Several sources with knowledge of the investigation believe that a charging decision in the documents case is imminent, and Trump lawyers in recent days were expected to meet at some point with the Justice Department to talk through where things stand and to potentially lay out their concerns about the prosecutors' efforts so far.
Grand jury testimony has slowed in recent weeks, sources said, indicating the investigation may be coming to a close. Numerous former White House aides and Mar-a-Lago employees — from security officials and valets — have been called to testify in secret proceedings in Washington, D.C.
The special counsel has gathered evidence that Trump's staff moved boxes the day before a June 2022 visit to Mar-a-Lago by the FBI and a federal prosecutor, a source familiar with the matter confirmed to CBS News. This was first reported by The Washington Post.
Trump lawyers Rowley and Trusty had written a letter in May complaining that their client was being treated "unfairly" and asked to "discuss the ongoing injustice that is being perpetrated by your Special Counsel and his prosecutors."
Smith's office declined to comment.
- In:
- Donald Trump
Robert Costa is CBS News' chief election and campaign correspondent based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (56697)
Related
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- 52 years after he sent it home from Vietnam, this veteran was reunited with his box of medals and mementos
- Oil companies attending climate talks have minimal green energy transition plans, AP analysis finds
- Frank Borman, Apollo 8 astronaut who orbited the moon, dies at age 95
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Pakistan is planting lots of mangrove forests. So why are some upset?
- Expensive judicial races might be here to stay in Pennsylvania after record high court campaign
- San Francisco bidding to reverse image of a city in decline as host of APEC trade summit
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- France’s Macron says melting glaciers are ‘an unprecedented challenge for humanity’
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Jewish refugees from Israel find comfort and companionship in a countryside camp in Hungary
- Live updates | Israeli strikes hit near Gaza City hospitals as more Palestinians flee south
- How Taylor Swift Is Making Grammys History With Midnights
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Jillian Ludwig, college student hit by stray bullet in Nashville, has died
- Former Michigan priest sentenced to year in jail after pleading guilty to sexually abusing altar boy
- It's time to get realistic about cleaning up piles of trash from the ocean, study argues
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Hear Dua Lipa's flirty, ridiculously catchy new song 'Houdini' from upcoming third album
Maryland woman wins over $200,000 from Racetrax lottery game after husband criticizes her betting strategy
Black riverboat co-captain faces assault complaint filed by white boater in Alabama dock brawl
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Sex therapist Dr. Ruth is NY's first loneliness ambassador – just what the doctor ordered
Former New Mexico State players charged with sex crimes in locker-room hazing case
Belmont University freshman Jillian Ludwig dies after being shot by stray bullet in Nashville park