Current:Home > reviewsTaylor Swift “Completely in Shock” After Stabbing Attack at Themed Event in England -Capitatum
Taylor Swift “Completely in Shock” After Stabbing Attack at Themed Event in England
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 20:17:41
Taylor Swift is speaking out amid a tragedy.
After a horrific stabbing attack took place at a children’s Swift-themed dance workshop in Southport, England, which left three children dead and eight other individuals critically injured—five among them children—the 34-year-old is expressing her grief.
“The horror of yesterday’s attach in Southport is washing over me continuously, and I’m just completely in shock…” Taylor wrote on her July 30 Instagram Story. “The loss of life and innocence, and the horrendous trauma inflicted on everyone who was there, the families, and first responders.”
She continued, “These were just little kids at a dance class. I am at a complete loss for how to ever convey my sympathies to these families.”
Local Merseyside police confirmed on July 30 that three children, girls aged 6, 7 and 9 had died from their injuries in the hours following the July 29 attack, while five children and two adults remained in critical condition.
The previous day, police Constable Serena Kennedy held a press conference following the stabbing during which she provided additional details on the incident.
“My officers were called to reports of a stabbing at 11:47 a.m. at an address Southport,” she shared during the conference. “When they arrived they were shocked to find that multiple people, many of whom were children, had been subjected to a ferocious attack and had suffered serious injuries.”
She continued, "It is understood that the children were attending a Taylor Swift event at a dance school when the offender, who was armed with a knife, walked into the premises and started to attack those inside. We believe that the adults who were injured were trying to protect the children at the time they were attacked.”
The Constable also confirmed that a 17-year-old male had been arrested in connection with the attack on “suspicion of murder and attempted murder” and had been taken to a police station where he awaited questioning. “This incident is not currently being treated as terror-related,” she clarified, “and we are not looking for anyone else in connection with it.”
Following the news of the tragedy, a number of local and national officials shared their condolences over the attack, including Prime Minister Kier Starmer who lamented the “horrendous and deeply shocking news” and thanked first responders.
Local member of Parliament Patrick Hurley also shared a statement on the incident expressing his grief over the loss of life alongside his gratitude for the strength of Southport’s constituents.
“I have heard of the many stories of volunteers and our local businesses supporting the families affected and our emergency services,” he wrote in a statement shared to X, formerly Twitter, “and I am proud of our community’s unity and support at this difficult time.”
He continued, “This is shocking news for our community, but we will stand strong against this mindless violence and I will work with other community leaders to help our town pull through this horrific incident.”
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (2)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Biden says he 'did not demand' Israel delay ground incursion due to hostages
- U.S. sees spike in antisemitic incidents since beginning of Israel-Hamas war, Anti-Defamation League says
- Nineteen-year-old acquaintance charged with murder in the death of a Philadelphia journalist
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Genius Bar who? Skip the Apple Store line with new rules that make fixing iPhones easier
- Former Mississippi corrections officers get years in prison for beating prisoner
- Maine shooting timeline: How the mass shootings in Lewiston unfolded
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Poland’s president calls for new parliament to hold first session Nov. 13
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Al-Jazeera Gaza correspondent loses 3 family members in an Israeli airstrike
- NHL rescinds ban on rainbow-colored Pride tape, allowing players to use it on the ice this season
- Trump called to testify in gag order dispute, fined $10,000 by judge in New York fraud trial
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Europe’s central bank is set to halt rate hikes as the Mideast war casts a shadow over the economy
- NBA winners and losers: Victor Wembanyama finishes debut with flourish after early foul trouble
- Starbucks threatened to deny abortion travel benefits for workers seeking to unionize, judge says
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
New organic rules announced by USDA tighten restrictions on livestock and poultry producers
White House wants more than $23 billion from Congress to respond to natural disasters
Apple 'Scary Fast' product launch: You may get treated to new Macs, speedy M3 Mac chip
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Why Amazon stock was down after Alphabet's earnings news
The Middle East crisis is stirring up a 'tsunami' of mental health woes
Vermont police find 2 bodies off rural road as they investigate disappearance of 2 Massachusetts men