Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving -Capitatum
SignalHub-Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 08:12:52
OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush,SignalHub the owner and pilot of the doomed Titan sub, had offered millionaire Jay Bloom and his son discounted tickets to ride on it, and claimed it was safer than crossing the street, a Facebook post from Bloom said. The sub suffered a "catastrophic implosion" on its dive to view the Titanic earlier this week, killing Rush and the other four people on board.
On Thursday, just hours after the Coast Guard announced that the wreckage of the sub had been found, Bloom, a Las Vegas investor, revealed texts he had exchanged with Rush in the months leading up to the trip.
In one text conversation in late April, Rush reduced the price of the tickets from $250,000 to $150,000 per person to ride the submersible on a trip scheduled for May. As Bloom contemplated the offer, his son Sean raised safety concerns over the sub, while Rush — who once said he'd "broken some rules" in its design — tried to assure them.
"While there's obviously risk it's way safer than flying a helicopter or even scuba diving," Rush wrote, according to a screen shot of the text exchange posted by Bloom.
Bloom said that in a previous in-person meeting with Rush, they'd discussed the dive and its safety.
"I am sure he really believed what he was saying. But he was very wrong," Bloom wrote, adding, "He was absolutely convinced that it was safer than crossing the street."
Ultimately, the May trip was delayed until Father's Day weekend in June, and Bloom decided not to go.
"I told him that due to scheduling we couldn't go until next year," Bloom wrote. "Our seats went to Shahzada Dawood and his 19 year old son, Suleman Dawood, two of the other three who lost their lives on this excursion (the fifth being Hamish Harding)."
Bloom wasn't the only one who backed out of the trip. Chris Brown, a friend of Harding and self-described "modern explorer," told CNN earlier this week he decided to not go because it "seemed to have too many risks out of my control" and didn't come across as a "professional diving operation." David Concannon, an Idaho-based attorney and a consultant for OceanGate Expeditions, said over Facebook that he canceled due to an "urgent client matter."
The U.S. Coast Guard said it would continue its investigation of the debris from the sub, found near the Titanic shipwreck site, to try to determine more about how and when it imploded.
Industry experts and a former employee's lawsuit had raised serious safety concerns about OceanGate's operation years before the sub's disappearance. In 2018, a professional trade group warned that OceanGate's experimental approach to the design of the Titan could lead to potentially "catastrophic" outcomes, according to a letter from the group obtained by CBS News.
"Titanic" director James Cameron, an experienced deep-sea explorer who has been to the wreckage site more than 30 times, said that "OceanGate shouldn't have been doing what it was doing."
- In:
- RMS Titanic
- OceanGate
Christopher Brito is a social media manager and trending content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (687)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Wrote Letters Supporting Danny Masterson Ahead of Rape Case Sentencing
- US, Canada sail warships through the Taiwan Strait in a challenge to China
- Paris strips Palestinian leader Abbas of special honor for remarks on Holocaust
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Exclusive: 25 years later, Mark McGwire still gets emotional reliving 1998 Home Run Chase
- Red Velvet Oreos returning to shelves for a limited time. Here's when to get them.
- Children in remote Alaska aim for carnival prizes, show off their winnings and launch fireworks
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Rita Wilson talks ‘My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3,’ surprise ‘phenomenon’ of the original film
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Two men questioned in Lebanon at Turkey’s request over 2019 escape of former Nissan tycoon Ghosn
- Children in remote Alaska aim for carnival prizes, show off their winnings and launch fireworks
- Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders proposes carve-out of Arkansas public records law during tax cut session
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- As Jacksonville shooting victims are eulogized, advocates call attention to anti-Black hate crimes
- Trump Organization offloads Bronx golf course to casino company with New York City aspirations
- Judge denies Mark Meadows' bid to remove his Georgia election case to federal court
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Terrorism suspect who escaped from London prison is captured while riding a bike
Pelosi announces she'll run for another term in Congress as Democrats seek to retake House
Jennifer Lopez, Sofia Richie and More Stars Turn Heads at Ralph Lauren's NYFW 2024 Show
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
In ancient cities and mountain towns, rescuers seek survivors from Morocco’s quake of the century
Phoenix is on the cusp of a new heat record after a 53rd day reaching at least 110 degrees this year
What High Heat in the Classroom Is Doing to Millions of American Children