Current:Home > ContactJudge nixes bid to restrict Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified records case -Capitatum
Judge nixes bid to restrict Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified records case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 18:50:39
WASHINGTON (AP) — The judge overseeing Donald Trump’s classified documents case in Florida on Tuesday denied prosecutors’ request to bar the former president from making public statements that could endanger law enforcement agents participating in the prosecution.
U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon said in her order that prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith’s team didn’t give defense lawyers adequate time to discuss the request before it was filed Friday evening. She denied the request without prejudice, meaning prosecutors could file it again.
The request followed a distorted claim by Trump last week that the FBI agents who searched his Mar-a-Lago estate in August 2022 were “authorized to shoot me” and were “locked & loaded ready to take me out & put my family in danger.”
The presumptive Republican presidential nominee was referring to the disclosure in a court document that the FBI, during the search in Palm Beach, Florida, followed a standard use-of-force policy that prohibits the use of deadly force except when the officer conducting the search has a reasonable belief that the “subject of such force poses an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to another person.”
Prosecutors said in court papers late Friday that Trump’s statements falsely suggesting that federal agents “were complicit in a plot to assassinate him” expose law enforcement officers — some of whom prosecutors noted will be called as witnesses at his trial — “to the risk of threats, violence, and harassment.”
Defense attorneys in a court filing late Monday called prosecutors’ proposed restriction on Trump’s speech “unconstitutional” and noted that the names of law enforcement officers in the case are subject to a protective order preventing their public release. Defense attorneys said they asked Smith’s team on Friday if the two sides could meet on Monday before prosecutors submit their request to give the defense time to discuss it with Trump. They called prosecutors’ decision to file the motion Friday night “bad-faith behavior, plain and simple.”
Trump faces dozens of felony counts accusing him of illegally hoarding at his Mar-a-Lago estate classified documents that he took with him after he left the White House in 2021 and then obstructing the FBI’s efforts to get them back. He has pleaded not guilty and denied wrongdoing.
It’s among four criminal cases Trump is confronting as he seeks to reclaim the White House, but outside of the ongoing New York hush money prosecution, it’s unclear that any of the other three will reach trial before the November election. The decision came as defense lawyers were delivering their closing arguments in the hush money case.
Trump has already had restrictions placed on his speech in two of the other cases over incendiary comments officials say threaten the integrity of the prosecutions.
In the New York case, Trump has been fined and threatened with jail time for repeatedly violating a gag order that bars him from making public statements about witnesses, jurors and some others connected to the matter.
veryGood! (73)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Trump's 'stop
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol