Current:Home > ContactThe Australian Open and what to know: Earlier start. Netflix curse? Osaka’s back. Nadal’s not -Capitatum
The Australian Open and what to know: Earlier start. Netflix curse? Osaka’s back. Nadal’s not
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 08:01:49
Iga Swiatek seemed to capture the general sentiment of Australian Open players toward the tournament’s decision to begin on a Sunday instead of a Monday, creating a 15-day event.
“It doesn’t really matter,” the top-seeded Swiatek said at Melbourne Park.
Certainly not to her: Swiatek’s half of the women’s draw won’t start until Monday, anyway. But there are plenty of players — including defending champions Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka — who were picked to compete on Day 1, 24 hours earlier than usual.
That’s been the schedule at Roland Garros for more than 15 years; the U.S. Open and Wimbledon have stuck to the traditional Monday opening.
Back when the French Open first shifted to a Sunday start, stars such as Roger Federer and Maria Sharapova were hardly thrilled about being on court that quickly.
“I asked if I could play later. The answer was, ’You’re playing Sunday, fourth match,” Sharapova said at the time. “How did it make me feel? Well, it doesn’t make you feel great when you know that the French federation, all they’re thinking about is selling tickets, making money and about their players. I mean, can’t be too happy about that.”
Swiatek’s take?
“At the end, it’s just the first day, then the tournament goes back to normal after these Sunday matches,” she said. “People have two days off, then it goes back to normal.”
Another ‘Netflix curse’?
Six episodes of Season 2 of the tennis docuseries “Break Point” were released this week, so players and fans alike might be wondering whether there could be another “Netflix curse” in the offing at the Australian Open.
A year ago, when the first five episodes of Season 1 came out shortly before play began at Melbourne Park, none of the 10 players featured prominently across those shows made it past the fourth round of singles at the tournament. Three pulled out of the field with an injury; a half-dozen lost in the first or second round.
The protagonists this time include Jessica Pegula, Alexander Zverev, Holger Rune, Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe, Tommy Paul and Coco Gauff, who won the U.S. Open last September for her first Grand Slam title.
“It really feels like so long ago,” said Gauff, a 19-year-old American. “I kind of forget it happened.”
Welcome back to Osaka, Raducanu, Kerber and more
Whether they’re returning to the Australian Open after an absence or participating in any Grand Slam tournament for the first time in a while, there are all sorts of comebacks afoot at Melbourne Park.
The list reads like a real Who’s Who of tennis: Naomi Osaka, Angelique Kerber, Caroline Wozniacki, Marin Cilic, Amanda Anisimova, Milos Raonic, Emma Raducanu and so on.
Some won’t get a chance to ease their way back into things. Four-time major champion Osaka, for example, goes up in the first round against 16th-seeded Caroline Garcia, who reached the U.S. Open semifinals and won the WTA Finals in 2022. Raonic, the runner-up at Wimbledon in 2016, takes on Alex de Minaur, the Australian who made his Top 10 debut in the ATP rankings this week.
And Kerber, who beat Serena Williams in the 2016 final at Melbourne Park for the first of her three Grand Slam trophies, meets 2022 runner-up Danielle Collins, with the winner possibly facing Swiatek next. Kerber had a baby in 2023 and was away from the tour for about 1 1/2 years; she played her first matches as a mom at the United Cup this month.
“Why (am I) coming back? I think this is the question a lot of people are asking me. I mean, it is because I love the sport. I love to play tennis. I already saw it last week with a lot of emotions again, a lot of dramas, up and downs, match points down. This is what I was missing — being on the court, seeing the fans and having the emotions out there,” Kerber said. “I have still the fire.”
Rafael Nadal’s Grand Slam return is on hold
The many comebacks in Melbourne was expected to include that of Rafael Nadal, the 22-time Grand Slam champion who injured his hip flexor during a second-round loss a year ago in Australia, eventually needed surgery and ended up missing the rest of 2023.
Nadal did compete again in January, but only for three matches, before tearing a muscle near his hip at the Brisbane International and withdrawing from the Australian Open.
___
AP Sports Writer John Pye in Melbourne, Australia, contributed to this report.
___
Howard Fendrich has been the AP’s tennis writer since 2002. Find his stories here: https://apnews.com/author/howard-fendrich
___
AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis
veryGood! (64875)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Martha Stewart Reveals She Cheated on Ex-Husband Andy Stewart in the Most Jaw-Dropping Way
- ESPN signs former NFL MVP Cam Newton, to appear as regular on 'First Take'
- 10 players to buy low and sell high: Fantasy football Week 6
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Apple's insider leaks reveal the potential for a new AI fix
- Trump insults Detroit while campaigning in the city
- Alaska US Rep. Peltola and Republican opponent Begich face off in wide-ranging debate
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Courtney Williams’ go-to guard play gives Lynx key 3-pointers in Game 1 win
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- North Carolina maker of high-purity quartz back operating post-Helene
- The brutal story behind California’s new Native American genocide education law
- Tiffany Smith, Mom of YouTuber Piper Rockelle, to Pay $1.85 Million in Child Abuse Case to 11 Teens
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- HISA, Jockeys’ Guild partner with mental-health company to offer jockeys access to care and support
- Wholesale inflation remained cool last month in latest sign that price pressures are slowing
- Pharrell says being turned into a Lego for biopic 'Piece by Piece' was 'therapeutic'
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
If you mute Diddy songs, what about his hits with Mary J. Blige, Mariah, J. Lo and more?
California pledged $500 million to help tenants preserve affordable housing. They didn’t get a dime.
Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
How one 8-year-old fan got Taylor Swift's '22' hat at the Eras Tour
While Dodgers are secretive for Game 5, Padres just want to 'pop champagne'
Chase Bank security guard accused of helping plan a robbery at the same bank, police say