Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Actor Will Forte says completed "Coyote vs. Acme" film is likely never coming out -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Actor Will Forte says completed "Coyote vs. Acme" film is likely never coming out
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-05 19:43:20
A verdict seems to have Will Sage Astorbeen reached in the case of "Coyote vs. Acme," the Warner Bros. Discovery courtroom comedy based on the popular Looney Tunes character.
The movie will likely never come out, lead actor Will Forte said in a statement on social media Thursday.
Originally slated for a theatrical release last July, the film was reportedly shelved in November last year, according to Deadline.
Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro of Texas alleged last year that the hiatus was part of a wider pattern of shelving films for tax breaks.
"The [Warner Bros. Discovery] tactic of scrapping fully made films for tax breaks is predatory and anti-competitive," Castro wrote on social media in November.
Following fan and industry outrage over the film's unceremonious fate, Netflix, Amazon and Paramount screened the film and "submitted handsome offers," none of which were accepted, The Wrap reported earlier this month.
"When I first heard that our movie was getting 'deleted,' I hadn't seen it yet," Forte wrote, addressing the film's cast and crew. "So I was thinking what everyone else must have been thinking: this thing must be a hunk of junk. But then I saw it. And it's incredible."
The SNL alum referenced the movie's high score among test audiences, and he lamented the studio's decision to bring the project to a premature end.
"The people who paid for this movie can obviously do whatever they want with it," Forte wrote, adding, "It doesn't mean I have to like it … Or agree with it."
"Please know that all the years and years of hard work, dedication and love that you put into this movie shows in every frame," he concluded.
Based on a satirical 1990 New Yorker article by Ian Frazier, the film stars Forte and John Cena alongside the animated Wile E. Coyote, who is suing the Acme Corporation over oft-backfiring products with which Coyote attempted to capture the Road Runner in the classic Looney Tunes cartoons.
"Mr. Coyote states that on occasions too numerous to list in this document he has suffered mishaps with explosives purchased of Defendant," reads the humor piece, written in the style of a court docket.
This is the third time Warner Bros. Discovery has axed a film in its final stages, with "Scoob! Holiday Haunt" and "Batgirl" being trimmed off the studio's balance sheet in 2022.
"As the Justice Department and @FTC revise their antitrust guidelines they should review this conduct," Castro wrote in his November social media post. "As someone remarked, it's like burning down a building for the insurance money."
- In:
- Hollywood
- Movies
- Warner Bros.
- Coyote
Rishi Rajagopalan is a social media associate producer and content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (16)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Jessica Hagedorn, R.F. Kuang among winners of American Book Awards, which celebrate multiculturalism
- House Republicans push to link government funding to a citizenship check for new voters
- How the iPhone 16 is different from Apple’s recent releases
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Oregon police charge a neighbor of a nurse reported missing with murder
- Threat against schools in New Jersey forces several closures; 3 in custody
- 'The Room Next Door' wins Venice Film Festival's Golden Lion for best picture
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Billie Jean King wants to help carve 'pathway' for MLB's first female player
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Los Angeles Chargers defeat Las Vegas Raiders in Jim Harbaugh's coaching debut with team
- Oregon police recover body of missing newlywed bride; neighbor faces murder charge
- Bruce Springsteen talks 'Road Diary' and being a band boss: 'You're not alone'
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Trump signals support for reclassifying pot as a less dangerous drug, in line with Harris’ position
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Walk the Plank
- Why Paris Hilton Doesn’t Want Her Kids to Be Famous
Recommendation
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Authorities vow relentless search as manhunt for interstate shooter enters third day in Kentucky
Miami Dolphins’ Tyreek Hill Speaks Out After Being Detained by Police Hours Before Game
US Open champ Jannik Sinner is a young man in a hurry. He is 23, is No. 1 and has 2 Slam titles
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Pregnant Campbell Pookie Puckett Reveals Why Maternity Fashion Isn’t So Fire
Amy Adams and Marielle Heller put all of their motherhood experiences into ‘Nightbitch’
'Perfect Couple' stars Nicole Kidman, Liev Schreiber talk shocking finale