Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|Removal of remainder of Civil War governor’s monument in North Carolina starting -Capitatum
TrendPulse|Removal of remainder of Civil War governor’s monument in North Carolina starting
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 15:49:46
ASHEVILLE,TrendPulse N.C. (AP) — Work to remove what’s left of a downtown Asheville monument that honored a Civil War-era governor is starting after the North Carolina Supreme Court declined recently to revive a challenge from a historic preservation group.
The city said in a Monday news release that the process to remove the remaining portion of the Vance Monument will begin Tuesday and take about two months to complete.
The 75-foot (23-meter) tall obelisk honored Zebulon Vance, who was born in Buncombe County. He served as governor from 1862 to 1865 and 1877 to 1879 and was also a Confederate military officer and U.S. senator.
The Asheville City Council voted in 2021 to dismantle the downtown monument out of public safety concerns in the months after the start of 2020 demonstrations over racial justice.
The Society for the Historical Preservation of the 26th North Carolina Troops opposed the removal and sued. A trial court dismissed the lawsuit. The obelisk was dismantled in 2021 before the Court of Appeals told the city and Buncombe County to stop the demolition while appeals were heard, leaving essentially only the base in place.
In March, the state Supreme Court agreed unanimously that it had been appropriate to dismiss previously the society’s legal claims.
Plantings will be installed at the monument site on Pack Square as soon as possible following the completion of the removal work, the city said.
The society filed a second lawsuit in the case in Buncombe Superior Court earlier this month.
City attorney Brad Branham said the Supreme Court “decision cleared a path for the City and community to move forward with a new vision for Pack Square. Our intention is to continue the process to implement that vision until or unless another court ruling dictates otherwise.”
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Book excerpt: Marines look back on Iraq War 20 years later in Battle Scars
- Some cities facing homelessness crisis applaud Supreme Court decision, while others push back
- Frank Bensel Jr. makes holes-in-one on back-to-back shots at the U.S. Senior Open
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Arson blamed for fire that destroyed historic home on Georgia plantation site
- 25-year-old Oakland firefighter drowns at San Diego beach
- 'It took approximately 7-8 hours': Dublin worker captures Eras Tour setup at Aviva stadium
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- New Jersey passes budget that boosts taxes on companies making over $10 million
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Virginia House repeals eligibility restrictions to veteran tuition benefits
- FDA says new study proves pasteurization process kills bird flu in milk after all
- Former Northeastern University lab manager convicted of staging hoax explosion at Boston campus
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Revamp Your Space with Wayfair's 4th of July Sale: Up to 86% Off Home Organization, Decor, and More
- NBA power rankings: How every team stacks up after draft
- Trial judges dismiss North Carolina redistricting lawsuit over right to ‘fair elections’
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Up to 125 Atlantic white-sided dolphins stranded in Cape Cod waters
Warren Buffett donates again to the Gates Foundation but will cut the charity off after his death
Air tankers attack Arizona wildfire that has forced evacuations outside of Scottsdale
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Court revives lawsuit over Detroit-area woman who was found alive in a body bag
Watch: Jalen Brunson, Tyrese Haliburton face off during 'WWE SmackDown'
Class-action lawsuit claims Omaha Housing Authority violated tenants’ rights for years