Current:Home > FinanceChainkeen|CBS News says it will be up to Vance and Walz to fact-check each other in veep debate -Capitatum
Chainkeen|CBS News says it will be up to Vance and Walz to fact-check each other in veep debate
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:19:15
NEW YORK (AP) — CBS News,Chainkeen hosting vice presidential candidates JD Vance and Tim Walz for the general election campaign’s third debate next week, says it will be up to the politicians — not the moderators — to check the facts of their opponents.
The 90-minute debate, scheduled for 9 p.m. Eastern on Tuesday in a Manhattan studio that once hosted the children’s program “Captain Kangaroo,” will be moderated by the outgoing “CBS Evening News” anchor Norah O’Donnell and “Face the Nation” host Margaret Brennan.
During ABC’s debate between presidential contenders Kamala Harris and Donald Trump earlier this month, network moderators on four occasions pointed out inaccurate statements by Trump, and none by Harris. That infuriated the former president and his supporters, who complained it was unfair.
Last spring, CNN moderators did not question any facts presented by Trump and President Joe Biden in the debate where Biden’s poor performance eventually led to him dropping out of the race.
On Friday, CBS the onus will be on Vance and Walz to point out misstatements by the other, and that “the moderators will facilitate those opportunities” during rebuttal time. The network said its own misinformation unit, CBS News Confirmed, will provide real-time fact-checking during the debate on its live blog and on social media, and on the air during post-debate analysis.
With its plans, CBS News is clearly indicating it wants to take a step back from the heat generated by calling attention to misleading statements by candidates. Some argue that offstage fact-checking is too little, too late and not seen by many people who watch the event.
It’s not the first time
Angie Drodnic Holan, director of the international fact-checking network at the Poynter Institute, said she has seen examples of moderators who have successfully encouraged candidates to keep their opponents honest.
“I’ll be interested in seeing how this works in practice,” she said. “Having said that, you’re basically off-loading one of your journalistic responsibilities onto the candidates themselves, so I don’t think that it’s ideal. It takes journalistic courage to be willing to fact-check the candidates, because the candidates are absolutely going to complain about it. I don’t think the moderators’ first goal is to avoid controversy.”
During the ABC debate, moderators David Muir and Linsey Davis corrected Trump statements on abortion, the 2020 election, crime statistics and reports that immigrants in Ohio were eating pets.
Unlike the two presidential debates, the two sides agreed that the vice presidential candidates’ microphones will not be turned off while their opponent is speaking, increasing the chance for genuine back-and-forth exchanges and the risk that the two men will talk over each other. CBS says it reserves the right to shut off a “hot mic” when necessary. Each candidate will have two minutes for a closing statement, with Vance winning a virtual coin toss and choosing to get the last word.
The stakes are high for CBS News
It’s a big moment for CBS News, long mired in third place in the evening news ratings. O’Donnell just announced she was stepping down from the role. Brennan is considered a rising star.
Like with the presidential debates, CBS is making its feed available for other networks to televise, and many are expected to take advantage of the opportunity.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
There will be no audience when Vance and Walz meet at a West Side studio that, in its past, has hosted editions of “60 Minutes,” “CBS Sunday Morning,” “Inside the NFL,” “Geraldo” and “Captain Kangaroo.”
It’s not known whether there will be other opportunities to see Trump and Harris together on the same stage before the Nov. 5 election. Harris has accepted an invitation from CNN for another debate on Oct. 23, but Trump has rejected it. In a poll taken by Quinnipiac University and released earlier this week, likely voters said by roughly a two-to-one margin that they’d like them face off again.
CBS’ “60 Minutes” is looking to land both Harris and Trump for back-to-back interviews that will air on Oct. 7, but neither candidate has committed to it yet.
___
David Bauder writes about media for the AP. Follow him at http://x.com/dbauder.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Buffalo Bills S Damar Hamlin a 'full-go' as team opens training camp
- Food truck owner gets 2 years in prison for $1.5M pandemic relief loan fraud
- Fragments of what's believed to be Beethoven's skull were in a drawer in California for decades
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- The US is requiring more planes to have accessible restrooms, but change will take years
- Niger’s presidential guard surrounds leader’s home in what African organizations call a coup attempt
- Shedeur Sanders speaks on Colorado Buffaloes meshing, family ties at local youth event
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- DNA test helps identify body of Korean War soldier from Georgia
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- 'Hero' officer shot in head at mass shooting discharged over 3 months later
- New Golden Bachelor Teaser Proves Gerry Turner Is “Aged to Perfection”
- FACT FOCUS: No head trauma or suspicious circumstances in drowning of Obamas’ chef, police say
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Sinéad O’Connor Dead at 56
- How do Olympics blast pandemic doldrums of previous Games? With a huge Paris party.
- Las Vegas Aces' Riquna Williams arrested on domestic battery, strangulation charges
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
S Club 7 Recalls the Awful Moment They Learned of Paul Cattermole's Death
Terry Crews shares video advocating for colonoscopies: 'Happy to put my butt on the line'
Patients sue Vanderbilt after transgender health records turned over in insurance probe
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Mandy Moore says her toddler has a rare skin condition called Gianotti Crosti syndrome
Sinéad O’Connor Dead at 56
New Golden Bachelor Teaser Proves Gerry Turner Is “Aged to Perfection”