Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-3 days after South Africa building collapse, hope fades for more survivors with 44 people still missing -Capitatum
Chainkeen Exchange-3 days after South Africa building collapse, hope fades for more survivors with 44 people still missing
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 08:49:49
George,Chainkeen Exchange South Africa — The number of people missing under the rubble of a collapsed five-floor apartment building in South Africa was higher Thursday morning than it had been since the Monday afternoon disaster, as officials said there had been six more workers on the construction site than first believed. Local leaders in the town of George, on South Africa's southern coast, said they believed there were 81 workers on the site when the building crumpled into a heap of broken concrete and twisted metal.
As of Thursday, 29 people had been rescued from the site and eight confirmed dead. Three days after the collapse, hope was fading fast that the 44 workers still unaccounted for might be found alive.
Six of those pulled alive from the debris were hospitalized with life-threatening injuries, and 16 others were in critical condition.
The rescue work briefly halted Wednesday as teams tried to find the source of a "sound or tapping" coming from under the shattered concrete slabs, said George's Mayor Leon Van Wyk. But he acknowledged that time was running out, saying the chances of surviving such an accident drop dramatically after 72 hours.
The operations would enter the "body recovering" phase over the next day, "as opposed to rescue," Van Wyk told South African national broadcaster SABC on Wednesday.
"As the rescue effort is ongoing overnight, the emergency response team will now implement more substantive concrete breakers and additional trucks to remove building rubble from the site to free remaining entrapped patients," the George municipality said in a statement.
The cause of the construction site disaster was yet to be determined, but local and national officials have vowed thorough investigations.
Moses Malala, a foreman who survived the collapse, told AFP he heard a loud sound before the building came crashing down. Malala, who was working on the roof, said he felt his feet slipping as the building started to fold on one side.
He watched his colleagues fall one by one. Many are still buried under the rubble.
Malala was injured but escaped with his life and has been helping with rescue efforts.
"I have pain too much... I can't sleep," he said. "Since Monday I was here on the site, we try to remove our relatives, our brothers and sisters."
More than 200 rescue workers and emergency service personnel divided into three teams searched separate areas on Wednesday.
The building, which collapsed at around 2:00 pm on Monday, was meant to be a 42-unit apartment block.
On Tuesday night, slight cheers were heard as a survivor was pulled out of the rubble and put onto a stretcher. Another body was retrieved and wrapped in a blanket.
"This is tragic, this should never have happened," said Imtiaz Sooliman, founder of disaster relief NGO Gift of the Givers. "You can't blame the municipality, you can't blame the government. You got to blame the people who were responsible for this construction."
Religious leaders and social workers were at the scene to assist and comfort distraught families.
Men, women and children sang and prayed at the city hall as they awaited news of their loved ones.
"I'm not feeling well because I did not get any information," said Alfred Mbono, a relative of a missing worker. "They just told us that we... need to wait. But we wait from... three days."
- In:
- Building Collapse
- Rescue
- Africa
- South Africa
- Cape Town
- Construction
veryGood! (2)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Family of woman shot through door in Florida calls for arrest
- Today’s Climate: May 25, 2010
- Selling Sunset Turns Up the Heat With New Competition in Explosive Season 6 Trailer
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- In Wake of Gulf Spill, Louisiana Moves on Renewable Energy
- Volkswagen relaunches microbus as electric ID. Buzz
- After months, it's decided: Michiganders will vote on abortion rights in November
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Congress Launches Legislative Assault on Obama Administration’s Clean Power Plan
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Selling Sunset Turns Up the Heat With New Competition in Explosive Season 6 Trailer
- Actors guild authorizes strike with contract set to expire at end of month
- What’s Worrying the Plastics Industry? Your Reaction to All That Waste, for One
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Marijuana use is outpacing cigarette use for the first time on record
- What’s Worrying the Plastics Industry? Your Reaction to All That Waste, for One
- With Pipeline Stopped, Fight Ramps Up Against ‘Keystone of the Great Lakes’
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Gas stove debate boils over in Congress this week
TSA expands controversial facial recognition program
Michael Bennet on Climate Change: Where the Candidate Stands
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Michael Bennet on Climate Change: Where the Candidate Stands
Actors guild authorizes strike with contract set to expire at end of month
Traffic Deaths Are At A 20-Year High. What Makes Roads Safe (Or Not)?