Current:Home > MarketsNew York appeals court scales back bond due in Trump fraud case and sets new deadline -Capitatum
New York appeals court scales back bond due in Trump fraud case and sets new deadline
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 09:31:16
A New York appeals court ruled that former President Donald Trump does not have to come up with $464 million to appeal the judgment against him in his civil fraud trial, and must only provide a bond in the amount of $175 million.
At midnight Monday, the time had expired on the 30-day grace period that New York Attorney General Letitia James had allowed for Trump and his co-defendants to secure a bond as they pursue an appeal of the $464 million judgment in his New York civil fraud trial. In order to appeal the case, Trump had been obligated to obtain a bond in the amount of the judgment.
The appeals court stayed much of the judgment of the lower court, which in February ordered Trump and co-defendants to pay a financial penalty, known as disgorgement, that has reached nearly $465 million, including daily interest. The penalty is intended to claw back the amount Trump and his company benefited from the scheme.
Under the appellate ruling, Trump now has 10 days to come up with the $175 million bond. In addition to the financial portion of the lower court's decision, the appeals court stayed the three-year bars against Trump from applying for loans from New York financial institutions, the two-year prohibition against Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump from serving as officers or directors in New York companies and the permanent bar against former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg and controller Jeff McConney from serving in financial control positions in New York businesses.
The appeals court kept in place the lower court's order for an independent monitor to oversee the Trump Organization and the installation of a compliance director.
The office of the New York attorney general said in response to the ruling, "Donald Trump is still facing accountability for his staggering fraud. The court has already found that he engaged in years of fraud to falsely inflate his net worth and unjustly enrich himself, his family, and his organization. The $464 million judgment – plus interest – against Donald Trump and the other defendants still stands."
Trump released a statement on social media accepting the appeals court's ruling: "We will abide by the decision of the Appellate Division, and post either a bond, equivalent securities, or cash." He also lashed out at New York Attorney General Letitia James and Judge Arthur Engoron, saying their credibility "has been shattered."
"This also shows how ridiculous and outrageous Engoron's original decision was at $450 Million," Trump said. He also repeated that he "did nothing wrong."
If Trump produces the bond within 10 days, as he says he will, he'll have months to prepare, since arguments in the appeals case will not take place until at least after the appeals court's fall term begins in September. Trump must now perfect his appeal, which means making all the preparations necessary for the appeal and then getting case onto the court's calendar.
Jesse Zanger contributed to this report.
veryGood! (9661)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Newest, bluest resort on Las Vegas Strip aims to bring Miami Beach vibe to southern Nevada
- Cyclone Jasper is expected to intensify before becoming the first of the season to hit Australia
- Bank of Japan survey shows manufacturers optimistic about economy, as inflation abates
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Missouri county to pay $1.2 million to settle lawsuit over inmate restraint chair death
- Newest, bluest resort on Las Vegas Strip aims to bring Miami Beach vibe to southern Nevada
- TikTok users were shocked to see UPS driver's paycheck. Here's how much drivers will soon be making.
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Man shoots woman and 3 children, then himself, at Las Vegas apartment complex, police say
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Wildfires can release the toxic, cancer-causing 'Erin Brockovich' chemical, study says
- Russian man who flew on Los Angeles flight without passport or ticket charged with federal crime
- US credibility is on the line in Ukraine funding debate
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Dead, 52-foot-long fin whale washes up at a San Diego beach, investigation underway
- Judge rejects delay of ruling backing North Dakota tribes’ effort to change legislative boundaries
- Cyclone Jasper is expected to intensify before becoming the first of the season to hit Australia
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
US wildlife managers capture wandering Mexican wolf, attempt dating game ahead of breeding season
Chargers QB Justin Herbert out for remainder of season with fractured index finger
Novelist’s book is canceled after she acknowledges ‘review bombs’ of other writers
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
All 3 couples to leave 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 9 announce breakups days after finale
Jennifer Aniston recalls last conversation with 'Friends' co-star Matthew Perry: 'He was happy'
Zara pulls ad after backlash over comparison to Israel-Hamas war images