Current:Home > MySailors reach land safely after sharks nearly sink their boat off Australia: "There were many — maybe 20, maybe 30, maybe more" -Capitatum
Sailors reach land safely after sharks nearly sink their boat off Australia: "There were many — maybe 20, maybe 30, maybe more"
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 09:19:03
Three round-the-world sailors reached land safely Thursday after sharks nearly sank their catamaran in the Coral Sea.
Both of the inflatable hulls on their 30-foot boat were damaged in several attacks by what were thought to be cookiecutter sharks — a small species not considered dangerous to people. Aerial photos of the men's rescue showed major damage to the boat, which was nearly submerged and a front section of one hull was completely missing.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority coordinated the rescue of the two Russian and one French sailor after they activated an emergency beacon early Wednesday 519 miles southeast of the Queensland state city of Cairns. The three were rescued by a Panama-flagged freight ship, which landed them at Mooloolaba Harbor on the Sunshine Coast north of the Queensland capital Brisbane on Thursday, the authority said.
Footage shot by a rescue helicopter showed the catamaran bobbing in calm seas as it was approached by the huge cargo ship.
Rescued sailor Stanislav Beryozkin said he suspected the sharks mistook his boat for a whale.
He said the crew had prepared for sharks, but not for such numbers. "There were many — maybe 20, maybe 30, maybe more," Beryozkin told Seven News television.
They had used double-layered material to protect the inflatable hulls. "But some of them jump and bite above the double material," he said.
Beryozkin, Evgeny Kovalevsky and Frenchman Vincent Thomas Garate had left St. Petersburg, Russia, on July 1, 2021, and had been sailing from Vanuatu to Cairns when they got into trouble.
Cookie cutter sharks grow to between 17 inches and 22 inches long and are named for the circular holes that bite in prey.
Joe Zeller, duty manager at the maritime agency's Canberra response center, said the emergency beacon had saved the sailors' lives.
"The emergency beacon absolutely saved their life. It enabled the Rescue Coordination Center to identify the precise location and tailor the most appropriate and quickest response to rescue them," Zeller told Australia Broadcasting Corp.
"The three males were very happy to be rescued, and they're all healthy and well," Zeller said.
The Coral Sea is brimming with reef sharks and other apex species such as tuna and marlin.
According to the Australian government, it is home to more sharks "than almost any other survey site in the world."
Last year, three men whose fishing boat sank off the Louisiana coast were rescued "in the nick of time" by the U.S. Coast Guard after surviving for more than a day despite being attacked by sharks.
- In:
- Shark Attack
- Australia
veryGood! (16393)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- 49ers QB Brock Purdy lands in concussion protocol, leaving status for Week 8 in doubt
- Another University of Utah gymnast details abusive environment and names head coach
- White House dinner for Australia offers comfort food, instrumental tunes in nod to Israel-Hamas war
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Five NFL teams that should be sellers at trade deadline: What will Commanders, Broncos do?
- Blac Chyna and Boyfriend Derrick Milano Make Their Red Carpet Debut
- Mom convicted of killing kids in Idaho will be sent to Arizona to face murder conspiracy charges
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Israeli hostage released by Hamas, Yocheved Lifshitz, talks about ordeal, and why she shook her captor's hand
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Another University of Utah gymnast details abusive environment and names head coach
- Strikers have shut down a vital Great Lakes shipping artery for days, and negotiations are looming
- Israel accuses UN chief of justifying terrorism for saying Hamas attack ‘didn’t happen in a vacuum’
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- NBA winners and losers: Victor Wembanyama finishes debut with flourish after early foul trouble
- A murder warrant is issued for a Massachusetts man wanted in the shooting death of his wife
- Florida’s private passenger train service plans to add stop between South Florida and Orlando
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Pink reflects on near-fatal drug overdose in her teens: 'I was off the rails'
Pakistan sets up deportation centers to hold migrants who are in the country illegally
Richard Roundtree, Shaft actor, dies at age 81
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Israel releases graphic video of Hamas terror attacks as part of narrative battle over war in Gaza
Paris museum says it will fix skin tone of Dwayne The Rock Johnson's wax figure
As prices soared and government assistance dwindled, more Americans went hungry in 2022