Current:Home > FinanceLos Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus -Capitatum
Los Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 08:31:16
The Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education voted Tuesday to ban student cellphone usage on campuses during school hours, joining a growing number of school boards to take such action and becoming the largest district in the U.S. to do so.
The ban's purpose is to prevent the potentially negative impact that phones have on the mental health and well-being of students.
The vote, however, doesn't automatically mean the ban will be implemented as staff is still consulting with stakeholders and experts before specifics are set in stone.
"The phone-free school policy says from the moment students walk into class to the end of the day, they shouldn't have their phones," said LAUSD board member Nick Melvoin. "Let's have kids interact with one another, free from the distractions that we know are harming mental health, their academics."
The resolution by the board of the second largest school district in the U.S. cites research suggesting that students have less meaningful interactions with classmates and exhibit less propensity for learning when overly involved with their phones.
"Research indicates that excessive cell phone use impacts adolescents mental health and well-being and is associated with increased stress, anxiety, depression, sleep issues, feelings of aggression, and suicidal thoughts," said the Order of Business for Tuesday's meeting.
The proposal referenced other bans that have been implemented, including in Florida, where public schools began blocking student cellphone use during instructional time and prohibited access to social media while using district WiFi in 2023. Since then, districts in Oklahoma, Kansas, Vermont, Ohio, Louisiana and Pennsylvania have adopted similar restrictions, according to the LAUSD resolution.
Over the next four months, the district will develop a set of policies for social media and cell phone use during school hours on every LAUSD campus. The new policy would go into effect at the beginning of 2025.
Some parents have voiced opposition to a ban, noting that they would prefer their children to have access to their phones in the event of an emergency.
"They should have it for protection once they leave the school campus," said Regina Schoetz, an LAUSD parent who said she partially agrees with the motion, but doesn't think that the ultimate decision should fall on the district.
"I don't think there should be a big ban on [cellphones] or lock them away," she said. "I think it's up to the parent."
Melvoin says that the latest policy update to cellphone usage was implemented in 2011 and only calls for no phones during class time.
On Tuesday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced his own plans on the topic, citing the mental health risks of social media on children.
"As the Surgeon General affirmed, social media is harming the mental health of our youth," Newsom said in a statement. "I look forward to working with the Legislature to restrict the use of smartphones during the school day. When children and teens are in school, they should be focused on their studies — not their screens."
veryGood! (14)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- What time does 'Big Brother' start? New airtimes released for Season 26; see episode schedule
- Pregnant Brittany Mahomes Shares Insight Into “Hardest” Journey With Baby No. 3
- Whale surfaces, capsizes fishing boat off New Hampshire coast
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Love Is Blind's Chelsea Blackwell Shares She Got a Boob Job
- 2024 Olympics: Céline Dion Will Return to the Stage During Opening Ceremony
- How employers are taking steps to safeguard workers from extreme heat
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- What's a capo? Taylor Swift asks for one during her acoustic set in Hamburg
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Biden Administration Targets Domestic Emissions of Climate Super-Pollutant with Eye Towards U.S.-China Climate Agreement
- Mattel introduces its first blind Barbie, new Barbie with Down syndrome
- Georgia denies state funding to teach AP Black studies classes
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Schumer and Jeffries endorse Kamala Harris for president
- WNBA All-Star Game has record 3.44 million viewers, the league’s 3rd most watched event ever
- Rash of earthquakes blamed on oil production, including a magnitude 4.9 in Texas
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Netanyahu is in Washington at a fraught time for Israel and the US. What to know about his visit
Honolulu prosecutor’s push for a different kind of probation has failed to win over critics — so far
Montana Supreme Court allows signatures of inactive voters to count on ballot petitions
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
FTC launches probe into whether surveillance pricing can boost costs for consumers
Honolulu prosecutor’s push for a different kind of probation has failed to win over critics — so far
What is Crowdstrike? What to know about company linked to global IT outage