Current:Home > MyTeacher missing after shark attack off Australia; surfboard found with "one bite in the middle" -Capitatum
Teacher missing after shark attack off Australia; surfboard found with "one bite in the middle"
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 00:45:35
Searchers have found what appear to be pieces of the wetsuit and surfboard belonging to a 46-year-old surfer who was attacked by a shark off South Australia's coast, and police said they were continuing to search for his remains Monday.
School teacher Simon Baccanello was attacked Saturday while surfing with others near his home at Elliston in South Australia state. His damaged surfboard was found soon after.
Local State Emergency Service manager Trevlyn Smith told News Corp the surfboard had "one bite in the middle."
South Australia Police said Monday that searchers had found "items of interest" on Sunday near Walkers Rock where the attack occurred.
"One item appears to be a piece of wetsuit material and the other items appear to be small pieces of white polystyrene (possible surfboard material)," a police statement said. The evidence would be sent for forensic analysis.
In consultation with Baccanello's family, police would continue to search Walkers Rock and surrounding beaches for a number of days after high tide, the statement said.
Searchers say any remains are more likely to drift ashore rather than out to sea.
Jaiden Millar was one of around a dozen surfers in the water with Baccanello when the shark attacked.
"I saw his board tombstoning, which means he's underwater and his board's getting dragged under ... trying to fight his way back to the surface," Millar told News Corp.
Staff and students were mourning the loss of the teacher, 9 News reported.
"He had a real keenness with his students to make them feel good to build those relationships with the students," school principal Chad Fleming told 9 News. "And that's what he's going to be remembered for."
It was the first fatal shark attack in Australia since Feb. 15 when a swimmer was attacked by a 15-foot great white shark off a Sydney beach.
Just weeks before, a 16-year-old who jumped into a river from a personal watercraft was killed by a suspected bull shark near Perth.
2022 shark attack in Australia classified as "provoked"
Simon Nellist was killed when a great white attacked him in the waters near Sydney in February 2022. Earlier this month, the International Shark Attack Files, a University of Florida group that aims to compile all known shark attacks, classified the attack as "provoked."
But that doesn't mean Nellist was responsible for his death, according to Gavin Naylor, director of the Florida Program for Shark Research at the Florida Museum of Natural History.
In a blog post, Naylor explained why the group classifies shark attacks at all.
"Our criteria for classifying shark attacks are designed to filter the data collected so that we can better understand the natural behavior of the animals," Naylor said. "Any activity that draws sharks into an area where they otherwise would not be, are excluded."
At the time of the attack on Nellist, several people were fishing from the shore cliffs, Naylor told the Times of London. He said in his blog post that fishing is "known to attract sharks" even if bait or chum aren't used.
The researchers focus their analysis on "unprovoked" attacks, Naylor said. Last year, there were 57 such attacks around the world, only five of which were fatal, according to the group.
Alex Sundby contributed to this report.
- In:
- Shark Attack
veryGood! (25)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Taylor Swift pauses acoustic set of Stockholm Eras Tour show to check on fans
- Mega Millions winning numbers for May 17 drawing: Jackpot rises to $421 million
- Miss USA pageant resignations: An explainer of the organization's chaos — and what's next
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Man wins nearly $2 million placing $5 side bet at Las Vegas casino
- Man charged with punching actor Steve Buscemi is held on $50,000 bond
- Psst! Target Just Dropped New Stanley Cup Summer Shades & You Need Them in Your Collection ASAP
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Man suspected of shooting 6-month-old son in hostage standoff near Phoenix apparently killed himself
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- How the Dow Jones all-time high compares to stock market leaps throughout history
- Travis Kelce Shares Favorite Parts of Italy Trip With Taylor Swift
- Storms damage homes in Oklahoma and Kansas. But in Houston, most power is restored
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Last pandas in the U.S. have a timetable to fly back to China
- 3 killed, 3 wounded in early-morning shooting in Columbus, Ohio
- A California doctor said his wife died in an accidental fall. Her injuries told a different story.
Recommendation
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Preakness Stakes payouts 2024: Complete betting results after Seize the Grey wins
Man wins nearly $2 million placing $5 side bet at Las Vegas casino
Designer David Rockwell on celebrating a sense of ritual
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Cassie's Lawyer Responds After Sean Diddy Combs' Breaks Silence on 2016 Assault Video
What we’ve learned so far in the Trump hush money trial and what to watch for as it wraps up
Dive team finds bodies of 2 men dead inside plane found upside down in Alaska lake