Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Sudan army: Rescue of foreign citizens, diplomats expected -Capitatum
Algosensey|Sudan army: Rescue of foreign citizens, diplomats expected
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 20:29:39
The AlgosenseySudanese army said Saturday it was coordinating efforts to evacuate American, British, Chinese and French citizens and diplomats from Sudan on military aircraft, as the bloody fighting that has engulfed the vast African nation entered its second week.
The military said that its chief, Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, had spoken to leaders of several countries who have requested safe evacuations of their citizens and diplomats from Sudan. The prospect has vexed officials as most major airports have become battlegrounds and movement out of the capital, Khartoum, has proven intensely dangerous.
Burhan "agreed to provide the necessary assistance to secure such evacuations for various countries," the military said.
Questions have swirled over how the mass rescues of foreign citizens would unfold, with Sudan's main international airport closed and millions of people sheltering indoors. As battles between the Sudanese army led by Burhan and a rival powerful paramilitary group rage in and around Khartoum, including in residential areas, foreign countries have struggled to repatriate their citizens — some of whom are running short on food and basic supplies while hunkered down.
The Pentagon said earlier this week it was moving additional troops and equipment to a Naval base in the tiny Gulf of Aden nation of Djibouti to prepare for the evacuation of U.S. Embassy personnel. But the White House said Friday it had no plans for a government-coordinated evacuation of an estimated 16,000 American citizens trapped in Sudan.
Even as the warring sides said Friday they'd agreed to a cease-fire for the three-day Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr, explosions and gunfire rang out across Khartoum on Saturday. Two cease-fire attempts earlier this week also rapidly collapsed.
"People need to realize that the war has been continuous since day one. It has not stopped for one moment," said Atiya Abdalla Atiya, secretary of the Sudanese Doctors' Syndicate, which monitors casualties. The clashes have killed over 400 people so far.
The international airport near the center of the capital has come under heavy shelling as the paramilitary group, known as the Rapid Support Forces, or RSF, has tried to take control of the compound. In an apparent effort to oust the RSF fighters, the Sudanese army has pounded the airport with airstrikes, gutting at least one runway and leaving wrecked planes scattered on the tarmac. The full extent of damage at the airfield remains unclear.
Burhan said that some diplomats from Saudi Arabia had already been evacuated from Port Sudan, the country's main seaport on the Red Sea, and airlifted back to the kingdom. He said that Jordan's diplomats would soon be evacuated in the same way.
On Saturday, Saudi Arabia and Jordan both announced that they had started arranging for the repatriation of their citizens stuck in Sudan. Officials did not elaborate on how the plans would unfold. Jordan said it was "taking into account the security conditions on the ground" and was coordinating its efforts with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
- In:
- Sudan
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Ambulance rides can be costly — and consumers aren't protected from surprise bills
- Yankees release former AL MVP Josh Donaldson amidst struggles, injuries in Bronx
- Fergie Gives Rare Look at Her and Josh Duhamel’s Look-Alike Son Axl on 10th Birthday
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Defendant in Georgia election interference case asks judge to unseal records
- The Ultimatum's Surprise Ending: Find Out Which Season 2 Couples Stayed Together
- CBS to honor 'The Price is Right' host Bob Barker with primetime special: How to watch
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Former death row inmate pleads guilty to murder and is sentenced to 46 1/2 years in prison
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- 500 flights cancelled as U.K.'s air traffic control system hit by nightmare scenario
- Judge vacates double-murder conviction of a Chicago man; cites evidence supporting innocence
- Guatemalan president calls for transition of power to anti-corruption crusader Arévalo
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Timeline: Special counsel's probe into Trump's handling of classified documents
- Muslim call to prayer can now be broadcast publicly in New York City without a permit
- Injury may cost Shohei Ohtani in free agency, but he remains an elite fantasy option
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
India’s moon rover confirms sulfur and detects several other elements near the lunar south pole
Sinéad O'Connor's children express gratitude for support a month after Irish singer's death
When is 'AGT' on tonight? Where to watch next live show of Season 18
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Abortion rights backers sue Ohio officials for adding unborn child to ballot language and other changes
UNC-Chapel Hill faculty member killed, suspect in custody after campus lockdown
Kelly Rowland says she's 'very proud' of Blue Ivy amid performance's for Beyoncé's tour