Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:OSHA finds plant explosion that killed 1 person could have been prevented -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:OSHA finds plant explosion that killed 1 person could have been prevented
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:09:33
BOSTON (AP) — The Johnathan Walkerfederal Occupational Safety and Health Administration has found an explosion that killed one worker at a pharmaceutical chemical plant in Massachusetts could have been prevented, and proposed nearly $300,000 in penalties.
The May explosion at the Seqens plant in Newburyport, Massachusetts, killed Jack O’Keefe, 62, of Methuen. Video showed most of the roof torn off a building.
Results of the OSHA investigation announced Thursday found Seqens and its subsidiary PolyCarbon Industries Inc. “lacked safeguards” in the chemical-making process. The investigation found numerous deficiencies in the facility’s safety management program for highly hazardous chemicals. It also found the company did not determine the combustibility hazards of materials used in the production of the chemical Dekon 139 and did not include safe upper and lower temperature limits to prevent the decomposition of Dekon 139.
O’Keefe was killed when a pressure vessel exploded.
The conditions found during the investigation led OSHA to cite both companies with 11 violations, including eight serious ones, and propose $298,254 in penalties. Representatives from the companies are expected to meet with the company Tuesday, which has until Nov. 29 to either reach a settlement with OSHA or to contest the citations and penalties.
“The requirements of OSHA’s Process Safety Management standard are stringent and comprehensive because failure to comply fully can have a severe or catastrophic impact on employees that, in this case, cost a worker their life,” said OSHA’s Area Director Sarah Carle in Andover, Massachusetts. “Employers must rigorously, completely and continuously scrutinize, update and maintain each element of the process properly to identify and minimize hazards and protect workers’ safety and health.”
Newburyport Mayor Sean Reardon said it was “very saddening to see that this incident was preventable.”
“We will continue to collaborate with these partners to determine the best path forward, and to ensure that the neighboring businesses, schools, and residences are kept safe from these dangerous practices that OSHA is penalizing now,” he said in a statement.
A spokesman for Seqens did not respond to a request for comment.
The plant, previously known as PCI Synthesis, lies a little more than 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Boston and has had a string of problems over the years. That prompted U.S. Sens. Edward Markey and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and U.S. Rep. Seth Moulton — in whose district the facility is located — to write to the company in May demanding a full accounting of what happened.
A chemical fire in the building in June 2021 sent smoke pouring out of roof vents and prompted a hazardous materials team to respond, according to a fire department statement at the time.
In 2020, authorities said a chemical reaction caused a series of explosions at the plant. That happened a year after the Occupational Safety and Health Administration found “serious” violations in how the company managed highly hazardous chemicals, according to online agency records.
The factory has also been cited by OSHA for workplace safety violations and in 2019 it paid a more than $50,000 penalty to settle Environmental Protection Agency charges that it violated hazardous waste laws.
veryGood! (81646)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Biden praises Black churches and says the world would be a different place without their example
- Yemen’s Houthi rebels say they attacked a US warship without evidence. An American official rejects the claim
- Super Bowl bound! Taylor Swift shares a kiss with Travis Kelce as Chiefs defeat Ravens: See pics
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Taking away Trump’s business empire would stand alone under New York fraud law
- North Macedonia parliament approves caretaker cabinet with first-ever ethnic Albanian premier
- Tom Selleck reveals lasting 'Friends' memory in tribute to 'most talented' Matthew Perry
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- A Costco mirror, now a Sam's Club bookcase: What to know about the latest online dupe
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Homeless found living in furnished caves in California highlight ongoing state crisis
- Jay Leno petitions to be conservator of wife Mavis' estate after her dementia diagnosis
- Ukrainian-born model Carolina Shiino crowned Miss Japan, ignites debate
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Scott Disick Shares Video of Penelope Disick Recreating Viral Saltburn Dance
- Trial set to begin for 2 accused of killing Run-DMC’s Jam Master Jay over 20 years ago
- Pope Francis congratulates Italy after tennis player Jannik Sinner wins the Australian Open
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Central Park 5 exoneree and council member says police stopped him without giving a reason
The head of a Saudi royal commission has been arrested on corruption charges
Fact-checking Apple TV's 'Masters of the Air': What Austin Butler show gets right (and wrong)
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Italy’s Meloni opens Africa summit to unveil plan to boost development and curb migration
How Dakota Johnson Honored Taylor Swift on SNL
Super Bowl bound! Taylor Swift shares a kiss with Travis Kelce as Chiefs defeat Ravens: See pics