Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:Wisconsin Supreme Court prepares to weigh in on recall election question -Capitatum
EchoSense:Wisconsin Supreme Court prepares to weigh in on recall election question
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 00:14:42
MADISON,EchoSense Wis. (AP) — A divided Wisconsin Supreme Court on Tuesday asked for arguments within two days related to a question over what legislative boundaries should be in place for a potential recall election organized by supporters of former President Donald Trump.
The recall targets the state’s top Republican, Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, because he refused to impeach the state’s top elections official or proceed with attempting to decertify President Joe Biden’s 2020 victory in Wisconsin.
The bipartisan Wisconsin Elections Commission asked the state Supreme Court to decide which maps should be used for any recall or special election that’s held before November.
Recall organizers submitted petitions last week, but an initial review by the Wisconsin Elections Commission determined they did not have enough valid signatures from the district Vos was elected to serve in 2022. Also, numerous people have said their signatures were forged, leading to an investigation by the Racine County district attorney.
Recall organizers on Monday said that some “unverified petitions slipped through due to a volunteer oversight,” but they called it an isolated mistake. Vos has until Thursday to challenge signatures.
Additionally, it’s not clear what legislative district boundary lines should be used for determining what signatures are valid, how many are needed and where any recall election would take place.
The liberal-controlled Wisconsin Supreme Court in December tossed the legislative maps that were last used in 2022 and barred them from being used in future elections. The new maps signed into law last month by Democratic Gov. Tony Evers don’t take effect until November.
The court, in a 5-2 order on Tuesday, gave all parties in the redistricting case until Thursday to file a response to the request for clarity from the Elections Commission.
Conservative Chief Justice Annette Ziegler, along with Justice Rebecca Bradley, dissented. At best, they said, any action by the court is premature because the question was not properly before the court. They also noted that no recall election has been ordered yet.
The commission has until April 11 to determine whether a recall election should be called. Either side can challenge its decision in court.
“The court should not even pretend to be poised to issue a decision in a nonexistent case presenting a hypothetical question,” Ziegler and Bradley wrote.
The question about district boundaries the justices are being asked to resolve is “a thorny and complicated matter not easily answered, even if we were the law firm for WEC,” they said.
They blamed the confusion over district boundaries on the liberal court majority that overturned the legislative maps and ordered new ones.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Temple University's acting president dies during memorial
- Adele fuels marriage rumors to Rich Paul: See their relationship timeline
- Band director shocked with stun gun, arrested for not leaving stands after game
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Hawaii governor calls on people to visit West Maui when it reopens in October: Helping our people heal
- Wiz Khalifa launches mushroom brand MISTERCAP'S. Is he getting into psychedelics?
- A man accused in a child rape case was arrested weeks after he faked his own death, sheriff says
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- 'Sound of Freedom' movie subject Tim Ballard speaks out on sexual misconduct allegations
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Teachers say lack of paid parental leave makes it hard to start a family: Should I even be working here?
- Airbnb says it’s cracking down on fake listings and has removed 59,000 of them this year
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis injects presidential politics into the COVID vaccine debate
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Comedian Gary Gulman hopes new memoir will bring readers 'laughter and nostalgia'
- British police officer is charged with murder of unarmed Black man in London
- Overhaul of Ohio’s K-12 education system is unconstitutional, new lawsuit says
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
24-Hour Flash Deal: Save $200 on a KitchenAid Stand Mixer
It's not your imagination: Ford logo on 2024 F-150 pickup is new, redesigned
Colts TE Kylen Granson celebrates first NFL touchdown with hilarious baby photoshoot
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
New Zealand rattled by magnitude 5.6 quake but no immediate reports of major damage or injuries
Nick Saban and Alabama football miss Lane Kiffin more than ever
Gun used in ambush killing of deputy appears to have been purchased legally