Current:Home > ContactStrike over privatizing Sao Paulo’s public transport causes crowds and delays in city of 11 million -Capitatum
Strike over privatizing Sao Paulo’s public transport causes crowds and delays in city of 11 million
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 02:26:08
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Long lines appeared in Sao Paulo’s bus and subway stations Tuesday as a strike opposing privatization efforts of public transport in South America’s largest city caused delays. Traffic on some routes stalled completely.
Sao Paulo state Gov. Tarcísio de Freitas, who took office in January, called the strike “unreasonable.” He told reporters he had campaigned for looking into privatizations, concessions and “the participation of private capital in public services as a way of bringing investment.”
It was not clear how long the strike would last, and there appeared to be little room for negotiations. The governor insisted that privatization had been the “winning position” in the election and that “to not accept that position is to not accept the results of the polls.”
Camila Lisboa, president of the Sao Paulo Subway Workers Union, which opposes privatization, lamented “authoritarian statements that do not consider the right to strike.” Lisboa claimed that privatization would lead to more expensive fares and poor service — a position also embraced by part of the opposition.
A court decision had said minimum service should be maintained for the city’s 11 million people during the strike, but that requirement was not respected, Sao Paulo state’s press department said.
Passengers faced long delays Tuesday. Two subway and train lines stopped working.
Federal lawmaker Sâmia Bomfim, of the leftwing PSOL party, warned of privatization, citing the recent blackout in Sao Paulo that plunged the city into the dark for several days. She blamed power distribution company Enel, one of three companies providing electricity in Sao Paulo.
“The population goes without electricity for days because ENEL (privatized) thought only of profit, fired thousands of employees, and ended up not serving (Sao Paulo) when we needed it most,” Bonfim said on X, formerly Twitter.
The lawmaker also criticized the governor for trying to privatize Sao Paulo’s water and waste management company, SABESP, “in a hurry, at a price far below what it is worth, without any social participation, transparency or price adjustment index.”
veryGood! (6377)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Dutch government led by hard right asks for formal opt-out from EU migration rules
- Zyn fan Tucker Carlson ditches brand over politics, but campaign finance shows GOP support
- Kentucky judge shot at courthouse, governor says
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Justice Department opens civil rights probe into sheriff’s office after torture of 2 Black men
- The Bachelorette’s Devin Strader Breaks Silence on Past Legal Troubles
- 'Hero' 12-year-old boy shot and killed bear as it attacked his father in Wisconsin, report says
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Jeopardy! Contestant Father Steve Jakubowski Is the Internet’s New “Hot Priest”
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- 'Hero' 12-year-old boy shot and killed bear as it attacked his father in Wisconsin, report says
- Republicans are trying a new approach to abortion in the race for Congress
- Attorney Demand Letter Regarding Unauthorized Use and Infringement of [ASCENDANCY Investment Education Foundation's Brand Name]
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- A night with Peter Cat Recording Co., the New Delhi band that’s found global appeal
- When are Walmart Holiday Deals dates this year? Mark your calendars for big saving days.
- JoJo was a teen sensation. At 33, she’s found her voice again
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
'Bachelorette' alum Devin Strader denies abuse allegations as more details emerge
US agency review says Nevada lithium mine can co-exist with endangered flower
Families of Oxford shooting victims lose appeal over school’s liability for tragedy
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Playoff baseball in Cleveland: Guardians clinch playoff spot in 2024 postseason
Sebastian Stan Seemingly Reveals Gossip Girl Costar Leighton Meester Was His First Love
Joel Embiid signs a 3-year, $193 million contract extension with the 76ers