Current:Home > StocksAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Judge in Trump classified documents case to hear more arguments on dismissing charges -Capitatum
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Judge in Trump classified documents case to hear more arguments on dismissing charges
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 20:50:13
FORT PIERCE,Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center Fla. (AP) — Prosecutors and defense lawyers in the classified documents case against former President Donald Trump are due in court Wednesday for the first time since the judge indefinitely postponed the trial earlier this month.
The case, one of four criminal prosecutions against Trump, had been set for trial on May 20 but U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon cited numerous issues she has yet to resolve as a basis for canceling the trial date.
On Wednesday, Cannon was scheduled to hear arguments on a Trump request to dismiss the indictment on grounds that it fails to clearly articulate a crime and instead amounts to “a personal and political attack against President Trump” with a “litany of uncharged grievances both for public and media consumption.”
Prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith’s team, which brought the case, will argue against that request. Trump is not expected to be present for the hearing.
The motion is one of several that Trump’s lawyers have filed to dismiss the case, some of which have already been denied.
Also scheduled for Wednesday are arguments by a Trump co-defendant, his valet Walt Nauta, to dismiss charges.
The arguments come one day after a newly unsealed motion reveals that defense lawyers are seeking to exclude evidence from the boxes of records that FBI agents seized during a search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate nearly two years ago.
The defense lawyers asserted in the motion that the August 2022 search was unconstitutional and “illegal” and the FBI affidavit filed in justification of it was tainted by misrepresentations.
Smith’s team rejected each of those accusations and defended the investigative approach as “measured” and “graduated.” They said the search warrant was obtained after investigators collected surveillance video showing what they said was a concerted effort to conceal the boxes of classified documents inside the property.
“The warrant was supported by a detailed affidavit that established probable cause and did not omit any material information. And the warrant provided ample guidance to the FBI agents who conducted the search. Trump identifies no plausible basis to suppress the fruits of that search,” prosecutors wrote.
The defense motion was filed in February but was made public on Tuesday, along with hundreds of pages of documents from the investigation that were filed to the case docket in Florida.
Those include a previously sealed opinion last year from the then-chief judge of the federal court in Washington, which said that Trump’s lawyers, months after the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago, had turned over four additional documents with classification markings that were found in Trump’s bedroom.
That March 2023 opinion from U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell directed a former lead lawyer for Trump in the case to abide by a grand jury subpoena and to turn over materials to investigators, rejecting defense arguments that their cooperation was prohibited by attorney-client privilege and concluding that prosecutors had made a “prima facie” showing that Trump had committed a crime.
Trump has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing.
___
Tucker reported from Washington.
veryGood! (6331)
Related
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- 49ers' Nick Bosa fined for wearing MAGA hat while interrupting postgame interview
- Trump's presidential election win and what it says about the future of cancel culture
- Wyoming volleyball coach worried about political pressure to forfeit vs. San Jose State
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- 3 arrested on charges of elder abuse, Medicaid fraud in separate Arkansas cases
- Winnipeg Jets improve to 14-1, setting record for best NHL start
- LGBTQ+ hotlines experience influx in crisis calls amid 2024 presidential election
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- The Daily Money: Who pays for Trump's tariffs?
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ to take on a second Trump term after focusing on Harris
- S&P 500 and Nasdaq extend rally after Fed cuts rates and hints at more ahead. Dow ends flat
- 'Like herding cats': Llamas on the loose in Utah were last seen roaming train tracks
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Levi Strauss heir Daniel Lurie pledges to make San Francisco safer as mayor
- US judge tosses Illinois’ ban on semiautomatic weapons, governor pledges swift appeal
- Meet Chloe East, the breakout star of new religious horror movie 'Heretic' with Hugh Grant
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
The Ravens' glaring flaw flared up vs. the Bengals. It could be their eventual undoing.
Obama relatives settle racial bias dispute with private school in Milwaukee
Republican Don Bacon wins fifth term to US House representing Nebraska’s Omaha-based district
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Trump has vowed to kill US offshore wind projects. Will he succeed?
Buccaneers donate $10K to family of teen fan killed in crash on way to 'MNF' game
Messi, Inter Miami 'keeping calm' before decisive MLS playoff game vs. Atlanta United