Current:Home > InvestSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws -Capitatum
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:56:20
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video game maker Epic Games sued Google and SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank CenterSamsung on Monday, accusing the tech companies of coordinating to block third-party competition in application distribution on Samsung devices.
At issue is Samsung’s “Auto Blocker” feature, which only allows for apps from authorized sources, such as the Samsung Galaxy Store or Google Play Store, to be installed. The feature is turned on by default but can be changed in a phone’s settings. The tool prevents the installation of applications from unauthorized sources and blocks “malicious activity,” according to Samsung.
In a lawsuit filed in San Francisco federal court — Epic’s second against Google — the company said Auto Blocker “is virtually guaranteed to entrench Google’s dominance over Android app distribution.” Epic, developer of the popular game “Fortnite,” filed the suit to prevent Google from “negating the long overdue promise of competition in the Android App Distribution Market,” according to the complaint.
“Allowing this coordinated illegal anti-competitive dealing to proceed hurts developers and consumers and undermines both the jury’s verdict and regulatory and legislative progress around the world,” Epic Games said in a post on its website.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Samsung said it “actively fosters market competition, enhances consumer choice, and conducts its operations fairly.”
“The features integrated into our devices are designed in accordance with Samsung’s core principles of security, privacy, and user control, and we remain fully committed to safeguarding users’ personal data. Users have the choice to disable Auto Blocker at any time,” Samsung said, adding that it plans to “vigorously contest Epic Game’s baseless claims.”
Epic launched its Epic Games Store on iPhones in the European Union and on Android devices worldwide in August. The company claims that it now takes “an exceptionally onerous 21-step process” to download a third-party app outside of the Google Play Store or the Samsung Galaxy Store. But a support page on Epic’s website shows a four-step process to remove the Auto Blocker setting.
Epic won its first antitrust lawsuit against Google in December after a jury found that Google’s Android app store had been protected by anti-competitive barriers that damaged smartphone consumers and software developers.
The game maker says the “Auto Blocker” feature was intentionally crafted in coordination with Google to preemptively undermine the jury’s verdict in that case.
“Literally no store can compete with the incumbents when disadvantaged in this way,” Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said on X. “To have true competition, all reputable stores and apps must be free to compete on a level playing field.”
veryGood! (73554)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Some Americans filed free with IRS Direct File pilot in 2024, but not everyone's a fan
- Nicole Kidman, who ‘makes movies better,’ gets AFI Life Achievement Award
- Champions League-chasing Aston Villa squanders two-goal lead in draw with Chelsea
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Survivor Season One Star Sonja Christopher Dead at 87
- University protests over Israel-Hamas war lead to more clashes between police and demonstrators on campuses nationwide
- Champions League-chasing Aston Villa squanders two-goal lead in draw with Chelsea
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Poppy Harlow leaves CNN after nearly two decades: 'I will be rooting for CNN always'
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- How Drew Seeley Really Feels About Doing Zac Efron's Vocals in OG High School Musical
- A Hawaii military family avoids tap water at home. They’re among those suing over 2021 jet fuel leak
- Winnipeg Jets defenseman Brenden Dillon suffers gash on hand during end-of-game scrum
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Where is the 2025 NFL draft? NFC North city will host for first time
- Winnipeg Jets defenseman Brenden Dillon suffers gash on hand during end-of-game scrum
- Prom night flashback: See your fave celebrities in dresses, suits before they were famous
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Mississippi Senate agrees to a new school funding formula, sending plan to the governor
Pasteurization working to kill bird flu in milk, early FDA results find
'Challengers': Josh O'Connor, Mike Faist talk phallic churros and 'magical' love triangle
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Pro-Palestinian protests embroil U.S. colleges amid legal maneuvering, civil rights claims
Paramedic sentenced to probation in 2019 death of Elijah McClain after rare conviction
3 children in minivan hurt when it rolled down hill, into baseball dugout wall in Illinois