Current:Home > NewsEx-Dolphin Xavien Howard is accused of sending a teen an explicit photo over an abortion quarrel -Capitatum
Ex-Dolphin Xavien Howard is accused of sending a teen an explicit photo over an abortion quarrel
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 00:26:59
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Former Miami Dolphins star cornerback Xavien Howard sent a male teenager a sexually explicit photograph of the young man’s mother because she refused to get an abortion, a new court filing alleges.
The allegation was made Thursday in a lawsuit filed last year by a woman who is not the teenager’s mother. That woman accuses Howard, 30, of secretly recording them having sex and then sharing the recordings with others. She says Howard also shared, without consent, sex tapes she had agreed to make.
Attorneys for the woman want the teenager, who is now 18, added as a plaintiff against Howard, who was released this off-season by the Dolphins in a money-saving move and is a free agent. The teenager is the son of another woman who attorneys say also had a relationship with Howard and was recorded having sex with him. That woman has not sued Howard.
“Xavien Howard operates by intimidation and force. Where he goes, destruction follows, and the lives of two individuals have been irrevocably altered because of him,” attorneys Cam Justice and Adriana Alcade wrote in their filing.
“Mr. Howard denies the claims and looks forward to prevailing in a court of law,” Howard’s attorney, Ted Craig, said in a short statement.
In the original lawsuit, filed under the pseudonym Jane Doe, a woman says she dated Howard for several months in 2022. A few months after they broke up, she received an Instagram message from a woman who said Howard had sent her sexually explicit videos of himself having sex with various women, including Doe.
That woman told Doe that Howard had sent her the videos because she spurned his sexual advances. In April 2023, another woman contacted Doe, saying Howard had also sent her videos because she, too, had spurned his advances.
Doe said that she consented once to Howard recording their sexual activity, but that other videos were done secretly without her consent.
In the latest filing seeking to add the teen as a plaintiff, he says that in September 2022, his mother and Howard were fighting over her refusal to have an abortion. The woman says Howard is the child’s father. The attorneys say Howard texted the teenager a photograph of his mother engaging in sex “in his ongoing crusade to debase and humiliate” the woman and caused “severe emotional distress” to the teenager.
“Howard’s conduct was outrageous (and) went beyond all boundaries of decency,” Justice and Alcade wrote in their filing.
Howard played eight seasons with Dolphins, who drafted him out of Baylor in 2016. He intercepted 29 passes in 100 games and has been selected to four Pro Bowls.
Howard’s production declined the past two seasons as he dealt with injuries. He played through groin injuries in 2022 and was limited to 13 games in 2023 because of hip and foot injuries.
veryGood! (89211)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas' tops Billboard's Hot 100 for fifth year in a row
- Zelenskyy says he is weighing Ukrainian military’s request for mobilization of up to 500,000 troops
- Greece approves new law granting undocumented migrants residence rights, provided they have a job
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Nevada high court upholds sex abuse charges against ‘Dances With Wolves’ actor Nathan Chasing Horse
- MLB mock draft 2024: Who will Cleveland Guardians take with No. 1 overall pick?
- New York City faulted for delays in getting emergency food aid to struggling families
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Japan’s trade shrinks in November, despite strong exports of vehicles and computer chips
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Want to buy an EV? Now is a good time. You can still get the full tax credit and selection
- Parents and uncle convicted of murdering Pakistani teen in Italy for refusing an arranged marriage
- Recalled applesauce pouches now linked to more than 200 lead poisoning cases in 33 states, CDC says
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Mustafa Ahmed announces benefit concert for Gaza, Sudan with Omar Apollo, Ramy Youssef, more
- Judge temporarily halts removal of Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery
- Animal cruelty charges spur calls for official’s resignation in Pennsylvania county
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Nikola Corp founder gets 4 years prison for exaggerating claims on zero-emission trucks
Thailand’s LGBTQ+ community hopeful as marriage equality bill is set to be discussed in Parliament
Marvel universe drops Jonathan Majors as Kang the Conqueror after conviction. Now what?
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Guy Fieri Says His Kids Won't Inherit His Fortune Unless They Do This
How to help foreign-born employees improve their English skills? Ask HR
Pope Francis says priests can bless same-sex couples but marriage is between a man and a woman