Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Texas trooper gets job back in Uvalde after suspension from botched police response to 2022 shooting -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Texas trooper gets job back in Uvalde after suspension from botched police response to 2022 shooting
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:43:37
AUSTIN,Will Sage Astor Texas (AP) — The Texas Department of Public Safety has reinstated a state trooper who was suspended after the botched law enforcement response to the shooting at a Uvalde elementary school in 2022.
In a letter sent to Texas Ranger Christopher Ryan Kindell on Aug. 2 and released by the agency on Monday, DPS Director Col. Steve McCraw removed the officer’s suspension status and restored him to his job in Uvalde County.
McCraw’s letter said the local district attorney had requested Kindell be returned to his job, and noted he had not been charged by a local grand jury that reviewed the police response.
Nineteen students and two teachers were killed in the May 24, 2022, attack on Robb Elementary School, making it one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history.
Nearly 400 officers waited more than an hour before confronting the shooter in the classroom, while injured students inside texted and call 911 begging for help and parents outside pleaded for them to go in.
Kindell was initially suspended in January 2023 when McCraw’s termination letter said the ranger’s action “did not conform to department standards” and that he should have recognized it was an active shooter situation, not one involving a barricaded subject.
Scathing state and federal investigative reports on the police response have catalogued “cascading failures” in training, communication, leadership and technology problems.
Kindell was one of the few DPS officers disciplined. Later, another who was informed he would be fired decided to retire, and another officer resigned.
Only two of the responding officers from that day, both formerly with the Uvalde schools police department, face criminal charges. Former Uvalde schools police chief Pete Arredondo and officer Adrian Gonzales were indicted in June on charges of child endangerment and abandonment. Both pleaded not guilty in July.
In his reinstatement letter, McCraw wrote that Kindell was initially suspended after the agency’s internal investigation.
But now, McCraw said he had been told by Uvalde County District Attorney Christina Mitchell that a grand jury had reviewed the actions of all officers who responded to the attack, and “no action was taken on officers employed by the Texas Department of Public Safety.”
“Further, she has requested that you be reinstated to your former position,” McCraw wrote.
Mitchell did not respond to email requests for comment. It was not immediately clear if Kindell has an attorney.
Families of the victims in the south Texas town of about 15,000 people about 80 miles (130 kilometers) west of San Antonio, have long sought accountability for the slow police response that day. Some of the families have called for more officers to be charged.
Several families of Uvalde victims have filed federal and state lawsuits against law enforcement, social media and online gaming companies, and the gun manufacturer that made the rifle the gunman used.
veryGood! (628)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Kelly Clarkson Addresses Alleged Beef With Carrie Underwood After Being Pitted Against Each Other
- ConocoPhillips’ Plan for Extracting Half-a-Billion Barrels of Crude in Alaska’s Fragile Arctic Presents a Defining Moment for Joe Biden
- Google's 'Ghost Workers' are demanding to be seen by the tech giant
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Beating the odds: Glioblastoma patient thriving 6 years after being told he had 6 months to live
- Beating the odds: Glioblastoma patient thriving 6 years after being told he had 6 months to live
- Senate Judiciary Committee advances Supreme Court ethics bill amid scrutiny of justices' ties to GOP donors
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- AMC ditching plan to charge more for best movie theater seats
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- A Great Recession bank takeover
- Search for baby, toddler washed away in Pennsylvania flooding impeded by poor river conditions
- Hailey Bieber Breaks the Biggest Fashion Rule After She Wears White to a Friend's Wedding
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- SEC charges Digital World SPAC, formed to buy Truth Social, with misleading investors
- Inside Clean Energy: Arizona’s Energy Plan Unravels
- A New Hampshire beauty school student was found dead in 1981. Her killer has finally been identified.
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Inside Clean Energy: Ohio’s EV Truck Savior Is Running Out of Juice
Nintendo's Wii U and 3DS stores closing means game over for digital archives
The EPA Placed a Texas Superfund Site on its National Priorities List in 2018. Why Is the Health Threat Still Unknown?
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Texas A&M University president resigns after pushback over Black journalist's hiring
‘We’re Being Wrapped in Poison’: A Century of Oil and Gas Development Has Devastated the Ponca City Region of Northern Oklahoma
Australia bans TikTok from federal government devices