Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-Jurors hear closing arguments in landmark case alleging abuse at New Hampshire youth center -Capitatum
TradeEdge-Jurors hear closing arguments in landmark case alleging abuse at New Hampshire youth center
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:06:18
BRENTWOOD,TradeEdge N.H. (AP) — Jurors heard closing arguments Thursday in a landmark case seeking to hold the state of New Hampshire accountable for abuse at its youth detention center.
The plaintiff, David Meehan, went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later alleging he was brutally beaten, raped and held in solitary confinement at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested and more than 1,100 other former residents have filed lawsuits alleging physical, sexual and emotional abuse spanning six decades.
Meehan’s lawyer David Vicinanzo told jurors that an award upwards of $200 million would be reasonable — $1 million for each alleged sexual assault. He argued the state’s clear negligence encouraged a culture of abuse marked by pervasive brutality, corruption and a code of silence.
“They still don’t get it,” Vicinanzo said. “They don’t understand the power they had, they don’t understand how they abused their power and they don’t care.
But the state’s lawyer said Meehan’s case relied on “conjecture and speculation with a lot of inuendo mixed in,” and that zero liability should be assigned to the state.
“There was no widespread culture of abuse,” attorney Martha Gaythwaite said. “This was not the den of iniquity that has been portrayed.”
Gaythwaite said there was no evidence that the facility’s superintendent or anyone in higher-level state positions knew anything about the alleged abuse.
“Conspiracy theories are not a substitute for actual evidence,” she said.
Meehan, whose lawsuit was the first to be filed and first to go to trial, spent three days on the witness stand describing his three years at the Manchester facility and its aftermath. He told jurors that his first sexual experience was being violently raped by a staffer at age 15, and that another staffer he initially viewed as a caring father-figure became a daily tormenter who once held a gun to his head during a sexual assault.
“I’m forced to try to hold myself together somehow and show as a man everything these people did to this little boy,” he said. “I’m constantly paying for what they did.”
Meehan’s attorneys called more than a dozen witnesses, including former staffers who said they faced resistance and even threats when they raised or investigated concerns, a former resident who described being gang-raped in a stairwell, and a teacher who said she spotted suspicious bruises on Meehan and half a dozen other boys during his time there.
The state called five witnesses, including Meehan’s father, who answered “yes” when asked whether his son had “a reputation for untruthfulness.” Among the other witnesses was a longtime youth center principal who saw no signs of abuse over four decades, and a psychiatrist who diagnosed Meehan with bipolar disorder, not the post-traumatic stress disorder his side claims.
In cross-examining Meehan, the state’s attorneys portrayed him as a violent child who continued causing trouble at the youth center and a delusional adult who is now exaggerating or lying to get money. In her closing statement, Gaythwaite apologized if she suggested Meehan deserved to be abused.
“If I said or did anything to make that impression or to suggest I do not feel sorry for Mr. Meehan, I regret that,” she said. “It was my job to ask difficult questions about hard topics so you have a full picture of all of the evidence.”
Her approach, however, highlighted an unusual dynamic in which the attorney general’s office is both defending the state against the civil lawsuits and prosecuting suspected perpetrators in the criminal cases. Though the state tried to undermine Meehan’s credibility in the current case, it will be relying on his testimony when the criminal cases go to trial.
veryGood! (76)
Related
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- New findings revealed in Surfside condo collapse investigation
- EPA staff slow to report health risks from lead-tainted Benton Harbor water, report states
- Police comb the UK and put ports on alert for an escaped prison inmate awaiting terrorism trial
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Father files first-of-its-kind wrongful death suit against Maui, Hawaii over fires
- Marina owner convicted in fatal 2008 boat crash settles new environmental protection case
- Little Amal, a 12-foot puppet of a Syrian refugee, began its journey across the US in Boston
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Influencer mom charged with felony child abuse after son's alleged escape
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Dodgers' Julio Urías put on MLB administrative leave after domestic violence arrest
- Suspect arrested in brutal attack and sexual assault of Wisconsin university student
- Suspect serial killer arrested in Rwanda after over 10 bodies found in a pit at his home
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- NFL Week 1 announcers: TV broadcasting crews for every game on NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN
- Boy band talent agency's new president faces abuse allegations after founder's sexual assault scandal
- Extreme heat is cutting into recess for kids. Experts say that's a problem
Recommendation
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Rescue efforts are underway for an American caver who fell ill while exploring deep cave in Turkey
Florida man riding human-sized hamster wheel in Atlantic Ocean faces federal charges
Suspect serial killer arrested in Rwanda after over 10 bodies found in a pit at his home
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Here's why you shouldn't be surprised auto workers are asking for a 46% pay raise
2 attacks by Islamist insurgents in Mali leave 49 civilians and 15 soldiers dead, military says
3 sailors rescued after sharks attack and partially destroy their inflatable boat off Australian coast