Current:Home > MarketsRyan Garcia expelled from World Boxing Council after latest online rant -Capitatum
Ryan Garcia expelled from World Boxing Council after latest online rant
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 19:38:26
Ryan Garcia has been expelled from the World Boxing Council, marking the latest fallout for embattled boxer.
World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman made the announcement on X on Thursday, citing Garcia's bizarre social media behavior, where he repeatedly used racial slurs and made disparaging remarks about George Floyd, a Black man who died in 2020 after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck for more than eight minutes.
"Exercising my authority as president of the WBC, I am hereby expelling Ryan Garcia from any activity with our organization," Sulaiman said. "We reject any form of discrimination. I fear for (Garcia's) well being."
A publicist for Garcia did not immediately respond to request for comment regarding the WBC’s action. A representative for Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Garcia, also did not immediately respond to request for comment.
In addition to his suspension from the WBC, Garcia is also serving a year-long suspension from the New York State Athletic Commission after testing positive for a banned substance prior to his April fight against Devin Haney, which Garcia won in dominant fashion. Garcia defeated Haney by majority decision after scoring three knock-downs, but his victory has since been changed to a "no contest."
There were questions surrounding Garcia's mental fitness heading into the highly-anticipated bout with Haney following erratic behavior online. The latest incident has caused more concern for fans, but Sulaiman said Garcia "declined multiple attempts for our help with mental health and substance abuse."
Last month, Garcia was arrested at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in Beverly Hills for felony vandalism after reportedly causing more than $15,000 in damages to a guest room and the hallway of the hotel, according to the Beverly Hills Police Department.
veryGood! (139)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- This ‘Boy Meets World’ star credits shaman elixir for her pregnancy at 54. Doctors have some questions.
- Seven charged in smuggling migrants in sweltering secret compartment with little water
- After editor’s departure, Washington Post’s publisher faces questions about phone hacking stories
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Louisville, Kentucky, Moves Toward Cleaning Up Its ‘Gully of the Drums’ After More Than Four Decades
- Man pleads guilty to involuntary manslaughter in death of fiancee who went missing
- AP Decision Notes: What to expect in Nevada’s state primaries
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- The Daily Money: Bodycams to prevent shoplifting?
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- New COVID variant KP.3 climbs to 25%, now largest in CDC estimates
- Washington judge denies GOP attempt to keep financial impact of initiatives off November ballots
- The best-looking SUVs you can buy today
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Gay man says Qatar authorities lured him via dating app, planted drugs and subjected him to unfair trial
- Who will win Stanley Cup? Florida Panthers vs. Edmonton Oilers picks, predictions and odds
- The Daily Money: Bodycams to prevent shoplifting?
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Gay man says Qatar authorities lured him via dating app, planted drugs and subjected him to unfair trial
Rare juvenile T. rex fossil found by children in North Dakota to go on display in Denver museum
Teenager who killed 4 in Michigan high school shooting appeals life sentence
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Dozens of people, including border agent, charged in California drug bust linked to Sinaloa Cartel
Probe launched after Jewish student group omitted from New Jersey high school yearbook
Mississippi is the latest state sued by tech group over age verification on websites