Current:Home > MySean 'Diddy' Combs will remain in jail as a 3-judge panel considers his release on bail -Capitatum
Sean 'Diddy' Combs will remain in jail as a 3-judge panel considers his release on bail
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 01:18:03
Sean "Diddy" Combs will have to remain in a Brooklyn jail as an appeals court considers his lawyers' latest bid to have the hip-hop music mogul released to home detention at his $48 million Florida estate.
In a ruling filed Friday, federal appeals court judge William J. Nardini denied Combs' immediate release pending a decision on his motion for bail. Nardini referred the motion to a three-judge panel within the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Combs' team's request to "file his bail motion under seal with partial redactions" was granted by the judge.
USA TODAY has reached out to Combs' representatives for comment.
During a status conference, U.S. District Court Judge Arun Subramanian said Combs, who made an appearance in court wearing tan prison garb, will continue to be detained prior to his trial, which now has a start date of May 5, 2025.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Combs has so far lost two bids to be released on bail. The first judge, U.S. Magistrate Judge Robyn Tarnofsky, sided with U.S. attorneys' argument that Combs posed a risk if he were to be released for home detention. The following day, Judge Andrew L. Carter, Jr. — who has since recused himself from the case — also ruled against Combs, determining that no amount of bail could guarantee Combs wouldn't tamper with witnesses.
On Tuesday, Combs' legal team filed an appeal with the Second Circuit, arguing the proposed conditions of his release are adequate in ensuring he will show up in court.
"Indeed, hardly a risk of flight, he is a 54-year-old father of seven, a U.S. citizen, an extraordinarily successful artist, businessman, and philanthropist, and one of the most recognizable people on earth," reads the appeal filing.
His attorneys have proposed a $50 million bond secured by the equity in Combs and his mother's Florida homes. They have also offered to appease concerns about risk of flight and possible witness tampering by implementing "24/7 monitoring by trained third-party former state and federal law enforcement officers," no internet or phone access for Combs, a pre-approved visitor list and surrendered passports belonging to the rapper and his family members.
Combs was arrested at a Manhattan hotel on Sept. 16 and arraigned on sex trafficking, racketeering and transportation to engage in prostitution charges the following day. He has been incarcerated in the Special Housing Unit at Brooklyn's Metropolitan Detention Center since then and has maintained his innocence, pleading not guilty on all federal criminal charges, despite mounting civil lawsuits over the past year.
The charges against Combs, detailed in a 14-page federal grand jury indictment unsealed last month, revealed an extensive and ongoing federal investigation into the hip-hop icon since federal agents raided his Los Angeles and Miami homes in March.
Investigators say the 54-year-old elaborately schemed to use his finances and status in the entertainment industry to "fulfill his sexual desires" in a "recurrent and widely known" pattern of abuse, which included so-called "freak offs" — sexual performances he allegedly orchestrated and recorded.
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, RAINN offers support through the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.656.HOPE (4673) and Hotline.RAINN.org and en Español RAINN.org/es.
veryGood! (79185)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- X promises ‘highest level’ response on posts about Israel-Hamas war. Misinformation still flourishes
- Ron DeSantis to file for New Hampshire primary Thursday
- Sam Bankman-Fried directed me to commit fraud, former FTX executive Caroline Ellison says
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- See Gerry Turner React to Golden Bachelor Contestant’s “Fairytale” Moment in Sneak Peek
- Hurricane Lidia takes aim at Mexico’s Puerto Vallarta resort with strengthening winds
- NATO equips peacekeeping force in Kosovo with heavier armament to have “combat power”
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Misleading videos alleging to show Israel-Hamas conflict circulate on X
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- California-based Navy sailor pleads guilty to providing sensitive military information to China
- Chinese coast guard claims to have chased away Philippine navy ship from South China Sea shoal
- Costumes, candy, decor fuel $12.2 billion Halloween spending splurge in US: A new record
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Caitlin Clark has become the first college athlete to secure an NIL deal with State Farm
- The former chairman of the Arkansas State Medical Board has been arrested for Medicaid fraud
- Louisiana principal apologizes, requests leave after punishing student for dancing at party; her mom says too little, too late
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Powerball winning numbers for Monday, Oct. 9, 2023 drawing; Jackpot now at $1.73 billion
Hughes Van Ellis, one of the last remaining survivors of the Tulsa Race Massacre, dead at 102
US church groups, law enforcement officials in Israel struggle to stay safe and get home
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Under heavy bombing, Palestinians in Gaza move from place to place, only to discover nowhere is safe
Shop Amazon’s Prime Day 2023 Best Beauty Deals: Laneige, Color Wow, Sunday Riley & More
Raiders vs. Packers Monday Night Football highlights: Las Vegas ends three-game skid