Current:Home > reviewsNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez faces new charges of bribery, obstruction of justice -Capitatum
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez faces new charges of bribery, obstruction of justice
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 01:23:55
Washington — Federal prosecutors in New York have NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Centeraccused Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey and his wife, Nadine Menendez, of obstructing the investigation into a years-long bribery scheme in which the senator allegedly traded his political influence for money, according to a superseding indictment unsealed Tuesday.
The pair and three New Jersey businessmen were charged last year for conspiring to use Menendez's power as chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for the benefit of Egyptian and Qatari government officials, and to assist the businessmen overcome various business and legal issues. In exchange, prosecutors said, the senator and his wife accepted hundreds of thousands in cash, gold bars and a luxury car.
Menendez was indicted by a grand jury with about a dozen additional counts on Tuesday that accuse him of working as an unregistered foreign agent of Egypt to secure military financing for that country, accepting bribes to assist one of his co-defendant's Halal company, and trying to disrupt various criminal investigations. Many of the newly unsealed charges do not allege new conduct, but accuse the defendants of the underlying crimes as part of broader conspiracies.
Prosecutors did, however, allege new obstructive acts. The superseding indictment includes charges against both Bob and Nadine Menedenz of obstruction of justice and conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice.
According to the new court documents, the senator's wife is accused of meeting with one of the defendants — businessman Jose Uribe — after federal investigators executed search warrants at the Menendez home. Nadine Menendez and Uribe allegedly discussed payments for a Mercedes-Benz convertible he gave to her after the senator allegedly agreed to attempt to "influence" the prosecution of an individual close to Uribe. During the meeting, Uribe agreed that he would tell investigators the car payments were loans, prosecutors said.
The couple is also accused of working to pay back some of the money that prosecutors alleged they took as bribes — writing checks to the businessmen which they described as loans — and selling gold bars.
Menendez, his wife, and two of the businessmen pleaded not guilty earlier this year to the previous set of charges against them. Uribe changed his legal strategy and pleaded guilty last week. He is now cooperating with investigators.
In a statement Tuesday, Menendez claimed he was innocent and accused prosecutors of abusing their power.
"The government has now falsely alleged a cover-up and obstruction," Menendez said. "The latest charge reveals far more about the government than it says about me. It says that the prosecutors are afraid of the facts, scared to subject their charges to the fair-minded scrutiny of a jury, and unconstrained by any sense of justice or fair play."
In a statement to CBS News Tuesday, an attorney for defendant Wael Hana — who owned a Halal company that the senator is accused of illegally helping secure a distribution deal — said they were assessing the new charges and evaluating future legal action.
"It is, however, stunning to receive such a dramatic alteration of a charging document only two months before trial following an investigation that has lasted for years," the attorney, Lawrence Lustberg, said.
An attorney for New Jersey developer Fred Daibes declined to comment, while an attorney for Nadine Menendez did not respond to CBS News' request for comment.
Previous court documents detailed various meetings between the senator, his co-defendants and Egyptian officials. Prosecutors claimed Nadine Menendez allegedly "had meetings and direct communications with multiple Egyptian officials" and "conveyed information and requests from them to Menendez."
While executing search warrants in 2022 at the Menendez residence, federal agents recovered more than $480,000 in cash, gold bars, and the Mercedes-Benz convertible that Nadine Menendez allegedly accepted from Uribe, documents show.
Since being first charged last year, Menendez has resisted calls to resign and maintained his innocence, although he did step down from his post as the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Responding to the previous charges, Menendez contended that the cash recovered by federal agents was withdrawn from his personal savings account and kept for "emergencies."
Last week, a federal judge rejected his claim that the FBI's searches of his home and electronics were unlawful and incorrect, writing he met the legal requirement of probable cause.
- In:
- Bob Menendez
Robert Legare is a CBS News multiplatform reporter and producer covering the Justice Department, federal courts and investigations. He was previously an associate producer for the "CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell."
veryGood! (28)
Related
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Biden administration canceling student loans for another 160,000 borrowers
- Incognito Market founder arrested at JFK airport, accused of selling $100 million of illegal drugs on the dark web
- Adult children of Idaho man charged with killing their mom and two others testify in his defense
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Savor Every Photo From Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Blissful Wedding Weekend in Italy
- Wendy's offers $3 breakfast combo as budget-conscious consumers recoil from high prices
- London judge rejects Prince Harry’s bid to add allegations against Rupert Murdoch in tabloid lawsuit
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- When is the 2024 French Open? Everything you need to know about tennis' second major
Ranking
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- McDonald's newest dessert, Grandma's McFlurry, is available now. Here's what it tastes like.
- What’s in a name? A Trump embraces ex-president’s approach in helping lead Republican Party
- UN food agency warns that the new US sea route for Gaza aid may fail unless conditions improve
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Will Smith Shares Son Trey's Honest Reaction to His Movies
- Australia as Bangladesh vow to boost trade as foreign ministers meet in Dhaka
- Man suffers significant injuries in grizzly bear attack while hunting with father in Canada
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Hunter Biden’s bid to halt his trial on federal gun charges rejected by appeals court
Australia and New Zealand evacuate scores of their citizens from New Caledonia
What’s in a name? A Trump embraces ex-president’s approach in helping lead Republican Party
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Judge in Trump classified documents case to hear more arguments on dismissing charges
West Virginia lawmakers approve funding to support students due to FAFSA delays
Cupshe’s Memorial Day Sale Is Here: Score up to 85% off Summer-Ready Swimsuits, Coverups & More