Current:Home > MyBiden’s campaign will not commit yet to participating in general election debates in 2024 -Capitatum
Biden’s campaign will not commit yet to participating in general election debates in 2024
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:04:47
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — President Joe Biden’s campaign is not yet committing to general election debates next year, the latest sign that a staple of modern White House campaigns may not be in play in 2024.
Quentin Fulks, Biden’s top deputy campaign manager, told reporters Wednesday that the president’s reelection campaign would “look at the schedule” that the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates released last month but the focus for now is on assembling a national campaign footprint.
“We will have those conversations,” Fulks said at a Democratic news conference at Wednesday’s Republican presidential primary debate site in Alabama. “But right now,” Fulks said, “our focus is on making sure we continue to build out a campaign and infrastructure that’s going to be able to be competitive in 2024.”
Pressed again, Fulks shifted the focus to Trump and the GOP’s “divisive primary, where their front-runner is not attending debates,” adding that Biden’s team “is focusing on what we need to do to win an election next year.”
Trump has skipped all GOP primary debates, including Wednesday’s gathering at the University of Alabama, citing his wide lead over his Republican rivals as justification. Yet he has said a general election campaign would be different.
“We have to debate,” he told Fox News host Bret Baier in a June interview. “He and I have to definitely debate. That’s what I love. The two of us have to debate.”
The Republican primary candidates set to be on stage Wednesday were required to sign a pledge vowing to participate in only those debates sanctioned by the Republican National Committee. The committee has not — and likely will not — sanction any general election debates organized by the Commission on Presidential Debates, having voted unanimously in April 2022 to withdraw from such debates after alleging the commission is biased.
The RNC could decide to release candidates from the pledge, although the GOP’s disdain for the commission remains. Trump never signed the pledge.
The commission’s schedule calls for three presidential debates and one vice presidential debate next fall. The two major party nominees would be invited to meet Sept. 16 at Texas State University in San Marcos, south of Austin. A vice presidential debate is scheduled nine days later at Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania.
Presidential debates planned for Virginia State University in Petersburg on Oct. 1 and the University of Utah in Salt Lake City on Oct. 9 round out the schedule, less than a month before Election Day on Nov. 5.
___
Associated Press writer Steve Peoples in New York contributed to this report.
veryGood! (65277)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Judge orders release of over 150 names of people mentioned in Jeffrey Epstein lawsuit documents
- Alabama man with parrot arrested in Florida after police say he was high on mushrooms
- Alabama couple gets life for abusing foster child who suffered skull fracture, brain bleed
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Minnesota's new state flag design is finalized
- Ho, ho, hello! How to change your smart doorbell to a festive tune this holiday season
- How that (spoiler!) cameo in Trevor Noah’s new Netflix special came to be
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Former NFL running back Derrick Ward arrested on felony charges
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- 13 tons of TGI Friday's brand chicken bites recalled because they may contain plastic
- 13 tons of TGI Friday's brand chicken bites recalled because they may contain plastic
- Snoop Dogg's new smoke-free high: THC and CBD drinks, part of my smoking evolution
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Judge weighs whether to block removal of Confederate memorial at Arlington Cemetery
- Phony postage stamp discounts are scamming online buyers: What to know
- Judge blocks removal of Confederate memorial from Arlington Cemetery, for now
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Wisconsin man faces homicide charges after alleged drunken driving crash kills four siblings
Results in Iraqi provincial elections show low turnout and benefit established parties
Celine Dion's sister gives update on stiff-person syndrome, saying singer has no control of her muscles
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Phony postage stamp discounts are scamming online buyers: What to know
Lillard joins 20,000-point club, Giannis has triple-double as Bucks defeat Spurs 132-119
Chelsea and Fulham win penalty shootouts to reach English League Cup semifinals
Tags
Like
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Celine Dion's sister gives update on stiff-person syndrome, saying singer has no control of her muscles
- Egypt election results: No surprises as El-Sisi wins 3rd term with Israel-Hamas war raging on border