Current:Home > MyCourt dismisses Ivanka Trump from New York attorney general's fraud lawsuit -Capitatum
Court dismisses Ivanka Trump from New York attorney general's fraud lawsuit
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 09:04:57
A New York appeals court dismissed Ivanka Trump on Tuesday from a wide-ranging fraud lawsuit brought against her father and his company last year by the state's attorney general.
The civil lawsuit, brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James, accused former President Trump of padding his net worth by billions of dollars and misleading banks, insurance companies and others about the value of his assets, including golf courses and the Mar-a-Lago estate. It named his three eldest children — Ivanka, Donald Jr. and Eric Trump — as defendants, along with multiple Trump Organization executives.
In a ruling on Tuesday, the Appellate Division of New York's Supreme Court dismissed the claims against Ivanka Trump, ruling that they were barred by the state's statute of limitations. While claims over alleged wrongdoing after February 2016 were permissible, the court said, Ivanka Trump had stepped back from involvement in the Trump Organization and wasn't accused in the lawsuit of any misconduct during that later time period.
The panel left it to a lower-court judge to determine whether other parts of the lawsuit would also be barred by the state's statute of limitations.
A representative for Ivanka Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment. James' office said in a statement that it planned to continue to pursue the case.
The lawsuit is the result of a three-year investigation into Trump and his business by James, a Democrat.
Her lawsuit details dozens of instances of alleged fraud, many involving claims made on annual financial statements that Trump would give to banks, business associates and financial magazines as proof of his riches as he sought loans and deals.
- Trump's legal troubles come to a head in New York
Trump has dismissed the investigation as a "politically motivated Witch Hunt."
In court papers, attorneys for Ivanka Trump said the lawsuit "does not contain a single allegation that Ms. Trump directly or indirectly created, prepared, reviewed, or certified any of her father's financial statements."
The attorney general claimed that as an executive vice president at the Trump Organization, Ivanka Trump had personally participated in the effort to exaggerate her father's wealth and obtain favorable loan terms from banks and real-estate licensing deals.
The Attorney's General Office is seeking a financial penalty of $250 million, as well as a ban on Trump and his family from doing business in New York. The case is set to go to trial in October.
- In:
- Ivanka Trump
- Donald Trump
veryGood! (95811)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Protesting Oakland Athletics fans meet with owner John Fisher ahead of Las Vegas vote
- A woman killed in Belgium decades ago has been identified when a relative saw her distinctive tattoo
- State-sponsored online spies likely to target Australian submarine program, spy agency says
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Landlord arrested after 3 people found stabbed to death in New York City home
- Some of the 40 workers trapped in India tunnel collapse are sick as debris and glitches delay rescue
- In 'The Killer,' there's a method to his badness
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Video shows North Carolina officer repeatedly striking a pinned woman during her arrest
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Energy Department tries to boost US battery industry with another $3.5 billion in funding
- Cuban private grocery stores thrive but only a few people can afford them
- UK experts recommend chickenpox shot for kids for the first time, decades after other countries
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- A man arrested over death of a hockey player whose neck was cut with skate blade is released on bail
- The Excerpt: Many Americans don't have access to safe drinking water. How do we fix that?
- Germany’s opposition Left Party to dissolve caucus after prominent member launches rival venture
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Corruption and Rights Abuses Are Flourishing in Lithium Mining Across Africa, a New Report Finds
Michigan judge says Trump can stay on primary ballot, rejecting challenge under insurrection clause
Google CEO Sundar Pichai returns to court to defend internet company for second time in two weeks
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
State-sponsored online spies likely to target Australian submarine program, spy agency says
Tens of thousands of supporters of Israel rally in Washington, crying ‘never again’
It took Formula 1 way too long to realize demand for Las Vegas was being vastly overestimated