Current:Home > ContactJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -Capitatum
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-05 23:43:22
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7941)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- 'Fallout' is coming to Prime earlier than expected: Release date, time, cast, how to watch
- Indiana Fever picks first in star-studded WNBA draft with Caitlin Clark. See full draft order
- Woodford Reserve tried to undermine unionization effort at its Kentucky distillery, judge rules
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Morgan Wallen, Luke Combs and Megan Moroney headline 2024 ACM Award nominations list
- My job is classified as salaried, nonexempt: What does that mean? Ask HR
- A satanic temple in flames: The hunt is on for suspect who threw a pipe bomb in Salem
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Here are the questions potential jurors in Trump's hush money trial will be asked
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Jessica Alba Stepping Down as Chief Creative Officer of the Honest Company
- Australian News Anchor Nathan Templeton Found Dead on Walking Path at 44
- EPA announces first-ever national regulations for forever chemicals in drinking water
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- New 'Joker' movie trailer shows Joaquin Phoenix's return for 'Folie à Deux' sequel
- Helen Mirren's Timeless Beauty Advice Will Make You Think of Aging Differently
- Jay Leno Granted Conservatorship of Wife Mavis Leno After Her Dementia Diagnosis
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
NFL Star Tevin Coleman's Daughter, 6, Placed on Ventilator Amid Sickle Cell Journey
Kansas deputy fatally shoots woman holding a knife and scissors
EU lawmakers will decide on migration law overhaul, hoping to deprive the far-right of votes
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Gwen Stefani addresses Blake Shelton divorce rumors, working with No Doubt after motherhood
Why JoJo Siwa Says She Has Trauma From Her Past Relationship
'Bridget Jones 4' is officially in the works with Renée Zellweger, Hugh Grant returning