Current:Home > Invest'Bridget Jones 4' is officially in the works with Renée Zellweger, Hugh Grant returning -Capitatum
'Bridget Jones 4' is officially in the works with Renée Zellweger, Hugh Grant returning
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 09:11:24
The next chapter in Bridget Jones' story is about to be written.
Renée Zellweger is officially set to return in a fourth "Bridget Jones" movie, titled "Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy," Universal Pictures and Working Title confirmed Tuesday. It will be released in 2025.
Hugh Grant, who played Daniel Cleaver in the original two "Bridget Jones" films but did not appear in the third installment, is also returning, as is Emma Thompson. Chiwetel Ejiofor of the 2019 film "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" and Leo Woodall of Netflix's "One Day" series will also star in the film.
"Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy" will be directed by Michael Morris ("To Leslie").
Based on the novel by Helen Fielding, the original 2001 romantic comedy "Bridget Jones's Diary" starred Zellweger as a single, 32-year-old woman who keeps a diary as she sets out to make improvements in her life. It received a sequel in 2004, "Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason," which was followed more than a decade later by 2016's "Bridget Jones's Baby." The third film was the least successful of the series at the worldwide box office, though it received much stronger reviews than the second.
Review:'Bridget Jones' births a likable threequel
This fourth "Bridget Jones" film will be based on the novel of the same name that Fielding published in 2013. The author told Radio Times in 2022 she hoped to turn this book into a film, teasing, "I'm working on it and I really hope it will happen."
Fielding previously told USA TODAY in 2013 that "Mad About the Boy" would "make a good movie" and that she'd like to see Zellweger return in the role. "Yes, she's wonderful," Fielding said.
This will be Zellweger's first time playing Bridget Jones since she won her second Oscar, her first for lead actress for her role as Judy Garland in 2019's "Judy." Zellweger previously received an Oscar nomination for her role in the original "Bridget Jones's Diary."
Renée Zellwegeropens up about why she took a break from acting, plastic surgery rumors
"Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy" is set for release on Valentine's Day 2025. It will be released on Peacock in the United States and in theaters internationally.
veryGood! (16)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- UK leader fires interior minister and brings ex-leader Cameron back to government in surprise move
- Police fatally shoot 17-year-old during traffic stop in North Dakota’s Bismarck
- Sophie Turner Appears in First Instagram Video Since Joe Jonas Breakup
- 'Most Whopper
- Humane societies probe transfer of 250 small animals that may have later been fed to reptiles
- 5 US service members die when helicopter crashes in Mediterranean training accident
- Karel Schwarzenberg, former Czech foreign minister and nobleman, dies at 85
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- The Pentagon identifies the 5 US troops killed in a military helicopter crash over the Mediterranean
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $223 million. See winning numbers for Nov. 10.
- 2 accused of running high-end brothel network in Massachusetts and Virginia are due in court
- The West is running out of water. A heavy snow could help, but will it come this winter?
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- No. 3 Duke basketball loses to Caleb Love, No. 11 Arizona in top-15 showdown
- Former Ghana striker Raphael Dwamena dies after collapsing during Albanian Super League soccer game
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams' phones, iPad seized by FBI in campaign fundraising investigation
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Suspect released in fatal stabbing of Detroit synagogue leader
Suspect in Detroit synagogue leader's fatal stabbing released without charges
80 people freed from Australian migrant centers since High Court outlawed indefinite detention
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Hezbollah says it is introducing new weapons in ongoing battles with Israeli troops
Jury clears ex-Milwaukee officer in off-duty death at his home
New ‘joint employer’ rule could make it easier for millions to unionize - if it survives challenges