Current:Home > MarketsCanada says Google will pay $74 million annually to Canadian news industry under new online law -Capitatum
Canada says Google will pay $74 million annually to Canadian news industry under new online law
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 20:50:13
TORONTO (AP) — Canada’s government said Wednesday it reached a deal with Google for the company to contribute $100 million Canadian dollars annually to the country’s news industry to comply with a new Canadian law requiring tech companies to pay publishers for their content.
The agreement removes a threat by Google to block the ability to search for Canadian news on Google in Canada. Facebook and Instagram parent company Meta already has been blocking Canadian news since earlier this year.
“Google has agreed to properly support journalists, including local journalism,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said. “Unfortunately Meta continues to completely abdicate any responsibility towards democratic institutions.”
Pascale St-Onge, the minister of Canadian heritage, said that Google will contribute $100 million Canadian ($74 million) — indexed to inflation — in financial support annually for a wide range of news businesses across the country.
“It’s good for the news sector. If there is a better deal struck elsewhere in the world, Canada reserves the right to reopen the regulation,” St-Onge said at a news conference.
“This shows that this legislation works. That it is equitable. And now it’s on Facebook to explain why they are leaving their platform to disinformation and misinformation instead of sustaining our news system,” she said.
Canada in late June passed the Online News Act to require tech giants to pay publishers for linking to or otherwise repurposing their content online. Meta responded to the law by blocking news content in Canada on its platforms. Google’s owner Alphabet previously had said it planned to do the same when the law takes effect in December.
Meta has said the Online News Act “is based on the incorrect premise that Meta benefits unfairly from news content shared on our platforms, when the reverse is true.”
Meta’s change means that people in Canada are not able to view or share news on Facebook and Instagram — including news articles, videos and audio posted by outlets inside or outside of Canada. Links posted by Canadian outlets are still visible in other countries.
St-Onge has called Meta’s move “irresponsible.”
“With newsrooms cutting positions or closing entirely, the health of the Canadian news industry has never been more at risk,” she said in Wednesday’s statement.
Kent Walker, president of global affairs at Google and Alphabet, thanked the minister in a statement and said Google would continue sending valuable traffic to Canadian publishers.
Earlier this year, Canada’s government said it would stop advertising on Facebook and Instagram, in response to Meta’s stance.
Meta has taken similar steps in the past. In 2021, it briefly blocked news from its platform in Australia after the country passed legislation that would compel tech companies to pay publishers for using their news stories. It later struck deals with Australian publishers.
Trudeau said the deal is going to resonate around the world as countries deal with the same challenges that Canada’s media landscape is facing.
veryGood! (21697)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- 2 killed in 2 shootings with police officers in South Carolina over the weekend
- Celine Dion tearfully debuts new doc amid health battle: 'Hope to see you all again soon'
- Man accused of acting as lookout during Whitey Bulger's prison killing avoids more jail time
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Bridgerton's Nicola Coughlan Sets Hearts Aflutter in Viral SKIMS Dress
- Wells Fargo employees fired after fake-work claim turns up keyboard sim, Bloomberg reports
- GOP contest between Bob Good and John McGuire highlights primary slate in Virginia
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Former GOP Rep. George Nethercutt, who defeated House Speaker Tom Foley in 1994, dies at 79
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Brooke Shields trades heels for Crocs at 2024 Tony Awards
- Billions of Gallons of Freshwater Are Dumped at Florida’s Coasts. Environmentalists Want That Water in the Everglades
- U.S. Secret Service member robbed at gunpoint in California during Biden trip
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- RHOBH's PK Kemsley Shares Sobriety Journey Milestone Amid Dorit Kemsley Breakup
- Tens of millions in the US remain under dangerous heat warnings
- 15-year-old girl shot to death hours before her middle school graduation, authorities say
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Are banks, post offices, UPS and FedEx open on Juneteenth 2024? Here's what to know
Federal appellate panel sends Michigan pipeline challenge to state court
Judge rules that federal agency can’t enforce abortion rule in Louisiana and Mississippi
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
California wildfire map: Track blaze near Los Angeles and in Sonoma wine country
Judge orders BNSF to pay Washington tribe nearly $400 million for trespassing with oil trains
RHOBH's PK Kemsley Shares Sobriety Journey Milestone Amid Dorit Kemsley Breakup