Current:Home > MyFormer teacher at New Hampshire youth detention center testifies about bruised teens -Capitatum
Former teacher at New Hampshire youth detention center testifies about bruised teens
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:53:09
BRENTWOOD, N.H. (AP) — A former teacher at New Hampshire’s youth detention center testified Monday that she reported suspicious bruises on at least half a dozen teenage boys in the 1990s, including the former resident who filed a landmark lawsuit against the state.
Brenda Wouters, who taught social studies at the Sununu Youth Services Center for 35 years, was the final witness called by David Meehan, who is seeking to hold the state accountable for physical, sexual and emotional abuse he says he suffered as a teen. Since he went to police in 2017, 11 former state workers have been arrested, and more than 1,100 former residents of the Manchester facility have filed lawsuits alleging six decades of abuse.
Wouters, who retired in 2022, said during the civil trial that she remembered Meehan growing sullen and withdrawn during his three years at what was then called the Youth Development Center. He had a black eye twice, she said. Another time, she asked him to lift up his shirt after she caught a glimpse of bruising and saw a “rainbow” of bruises along his torso.
Other teens showed up to school with marks on their necks and arms, Wouters said. The whites of one boy’s eyes were “beet red,” she said.
“The reddest eyes I’ve ever seen short of watching a Dracula film,” she said.
Wouters also described teens telling her about being forced to fight. Staff pitted stronger kids against more fragile ones.
“Then they would encourage those kids to go ahead and fight with each other almost to the death until whomever was being the loser would then comply with whatever the staff wanted,” she said.
Wouters said when she approached residential staff, they brushed her off. She said she told her boss, and on multiple occasions, called the state Division of Children, Youth and Families, but there was no follow-up that she saw.
Under questioning from the state’s attorney, however, Wouters acknowledged that she never witnessed abuse, nor did she file any written complaints. Shown progress reports from the 1990s, she also acknowledged that Meehan was only in her class during the spring of 1996, a time when he does not allege abuse. But she said she would’ve still interacted with him after that.
Lawyers for the state will begin presenting their side on Tuesday, the trial’s 15th day. In opening arguments earlier this month, they argued the state is not liable for the actions of “rogue” employees, and in questioning Meehan’s witnesses, suggested he is lying to get money. The state also contends he waited too long to file his lawsuit. The statute of limitations for such lawsuits is three years from the date of injury, though there are exceptions in cases when victims were not aware of its link to the wrongful party.
After the jury was dismissed for the day Monday, Assistant Attorney General Brandon Chase asked the judge to issue a verdict in the state’s favor based on the statute of limitations argument.
Judge Andrew Schulman denied that request, saying the jury will decide. Though he said it might be a “close call” as to when Meehan realized as an adult he might have a claim against the state, he said it was unreasonable to believe he made that connection while at the facility or soon after. Schulman said when he visited the facility with jurors at the start of the trial, he spent some time in Meehan’s former room, looking out the window.
“It occurred to me while I was there, this is the kid’s eye view,” he said. “You don’t have a very wide view of the world.”
veryGood! (9568)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Crew finds submerged wreckage of missing jet that mysteriously disappeared more than 50 years ago
- Federal agreement paves way for closer scrutiny of burgeoning AI industry
- Horoscopes Today, June 10, 2024
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Glen Powell Clears the Air After Detailing Cannibalism Story
- 16-year-old American girl falls over 300 feet to her death while hiking in Switzerland
- Key new features coming to Apple’s iOS18 this fall
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- YouTube 'Comicstorian' star Ben Potter dies at 40 following 'unfortunate accident'
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Rescued kite surfer used rocks to spell 'HELP' on Northern California beach
- Dozens arrested in new pro-Palestinian protests at University of California, Los Angeles
- Heat stress can turn deadly even sooner than experts thought. Are new warnings needed?
- Small twin
- A growing Filipino diaspora means plenty of celebration worldwide for Philippine Independence Day
- Halle Berry's Wardrobe Malfunction Causes Multiple Nip Slips
- Former President Jimmy Carter Is No Longer Awake Every Day Amid Hospice Care
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Adam Scott appears in teaser for new season of Apple TV's 'Severance': 'Welcome back'
Man holding a burning gas can charges at police and is fatally shot by a deputy, authorities say
$552 million Mega Millions jackpot claimed in Illinois; winner plans to support mom
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
NYC bird group drops name of illustrator and slave owner Audubon
Governorship and House seat on the ballot in conservative North Dakota, where GOP primaries are key
YouTuber Ben Potter Dead at 40 After “Unfortunate Accident”