Current:Home > ScamsFastexy Exchange|Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 18:06:08
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Fastexy Exchangelocal prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (41564)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Dassault Falcon Jet announces $100 million expansion in Little Rock, including 800 more jobs
- Attacks on health care are on track to hit a record high in 2023. Can it be stopped?
- Two indicted in Maine cold case killing solved after 15 years, police say
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- German government reaches solution on budget crisis triggered by court ruling
- Andre Braugher, Emmy-winning actor who starred in ‘Homicide’ and ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine,’ dies at 61
- Watch as rush-hour drivers rescue runaway Chihuahua on Staten Island Expressway
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- House set for key vote on Biden impeachment inquiry as Republicans unite behind investigation
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- The pope says he wants to be buried in the Rome basilica, not in the Vatican
- An abortion ban enacted in 1864 is under review in the Arizona Supreme Court
- US to spend $700M on new embassy in Ireland, breaks ground on new embassy in Saudi Arabia
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Georgia and Alabama propose a deal to settle their water war over the Chattahoochee River
- North Korean and Russian officials discuss economic ties as Seoul raises labor export concerns
- Semi-trailer driver dies after rig crashes into 2 others at Indiana toll plaza
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
US Asians and Pacific Islanders view democracy with concern, AP-NORC/AAPI Data poll shows
For The Eras Tour, Taylor Swift takes a lucrative and satisfying victory lap
Why George Clooney Is at a Tactical Disadvantage With His and Amal Clooney's Kids
Small twin
N.Y. has amassed 1.3 million pieces of evidence in George Santos case, his attorney says
Newest, bluest resort on Las Vegas Strip aims to bring Miami Beach vibe to southern Nevada
Caitlin Clark signs NIL with Gatorade. How does Iowa star stack up to other star athletes?